2014 Ford Shelby GT500 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Shelby GT500 model:

Sally is incredible
By sallysbuddy

2014 Ford Shelby GT500 2dr Coupe (5.8L 8cyl S/C 6M)

Only two weeks old and 500 miles on the clock, but this animal is incredible. Getting on the freeway from the dealership after I picked it up,I wanted play with it's roadholding, so got on it.....just a little...on a very tight 360 degree entrance ramp. Hugged the inside edge and looked at the speedo at the merge point of the freeway: 113 MPH and it was hardly breathing! The G-forces are unbelievable. People stare at it, give me thumbs up and smile. I've had performance cars my whole life (including a Jack Roush built Lincoln MK VII with a 5 speed manual tranny and GT40 motor), but none of 'em hold a candle tot his. I need to re-read the complete owner's at least 3 more times.

Favorite Features

Incredibly nice road manners considering the purpose of this monster. For the urban two lane drive to work I have yet to use 1st gear. It's 2nd, 4th and 6th and have yet to hear a grunt out it. Everyone smiles at the exhaust note and idle rumble.

Suggested Improvements

The front seat foldover release needs some engineering tickle. It must be held to fold the seat back into drive position and it doesn't remember exactly which position you originally had it in.

2014 shelby gt500
By jim737

2014 Ford Shelby GT500 2dr Coupe (5.8L 8cyl S/C 6M)

I've owned and driven many high po cars. This one is special in many ways. Critics complain of break fade. I've not experienced any even though pushing the car hard. Turn in is excellent mid corner and exit excellent,yes bumps can upset solid axel but it's predictable and controllable. Even irs cars can be upset with bumps. Ford chose gearing it high for a good reason. People always look at 0-60, 1/4 mile, and top end. Ford made first gear tall so they did not have to shift going to 2nd. Saves time get excellent time. Same with 1/4 mile. And 200mph top end with 3:31 gear. Then there is better gas milage no gas gusler tax all good marketing for ford.a lower gear would be a plus.

Favorite Features

The engine is the star of this car. It's exotic with 4cam 4valve all aluminum and the sound is incredible! The engine is capable of producing much more horsepower and still have great reliability. Get the car with performance pkg and track pkg if going to drive the car hard. Drag racers don't need it.

Suggested Improvements

Would like to see options like different final drive ratios, rear seat delete, brake cooling ducts, better rear brakes

The 65 427 cobra has been replaced
By guidave59

2014 Ford Shelby GT500 2dr Coupe (5.8L 8cyl S/C 6M)

The car is awesome but demands respect, I traded in a 2012 GT. When you pulled out to pass a semi at 60 and nailed in the GT it just took off and went, nail the GT500 in 4th gear at 65-70 will bring the back end around quickly and you are starring at oncoming traffic!!! The car is fun but you must remeber there is a BIG difference between 400 and 700 hp. I have seen these cars on a dyno put out 616 hp at the rear wheels which equates to about 700 at the motor. Overall an iconic car, but it did make number 2 on the video "The top 10 cars that want to kill you"

Favorite Features

The Horsepower!!! My GT500 has both the Track pak and the Electronics package. Voice recognition is a big improvement over my 2012. The Instrumentation is too cool, a Christmas tree so that you can practice your drag strip times, along with a digital accelerometer, Also a G meter, very cool, the 220 MPH speedo scared my wife. This car is similar to a 65 427 Cobra, it is a totally great but stupid car, people and magazines rag on the GT500 and its handling but really who is gonna race this on a curvey track. The typical confrontation is at 65 MPH on the freeway and very few cars can touch this beast there. Even many superbikes will lose a 70 encounter with this car

Suggested Improvements

The original cobra had no windows, the windshield was innefective above about 60....but they sell for over 2 million now. there are lots of things that Ford could have done but when you consider a car that does the 1/4 mile in under 12 seconds, will run over 200mph and still can get over 20 mph on the highway, what is there to improve.....yes General motors must own stock in most of the magazines but there is no comparison to this car......with that said it is a truly stupid car....but I love mine

It's nice to get more then you paid for!
By roushguy

2014 Ford Shelby GT500 2dr Coupe (5.8L 8cyl S/C 6M)

My last Mustang was a 2010 Roush 427r modified with 500HP and although overall an easier car to drive it certainly can not compare to my 2014 Shelby GT500. Simply put it's an animal under full throttle and very drivable for daily driving BUT and its a very big BUT one can not expect a supercar to be smooth as a Honda Accord. Logic dictates that high power requires heavy duty components and heavy duty requires a little more effort to handle. I ordered mine with the performance and electronic package and just love driving this car. The exhaust note is unbelievable and I just can't understand how Ford was able to build this quality car at these low prices. It's a nice testament to Carol Shelby!

Favorite Features

Power, nice HD radio, comfortable leather seats, driver adjustable suspension and steering components, track apps, awesome exhaust note, looks, handling and did I say the power.

Suggested Improvements

I would like the option for Chrome or polished aluminum rims.

Bad Ass Car
By willyworm

2014 Ford Shelby GT500 2dr Convertible (5.8L 8cyl S/C 6M)

Not much driving time in the new Shelby yet, but love every thing about it so far. It is quick. It sticks to the road. Styling is awesome. I am not sure how they got everything to fit under the hood, but it does fit nicely. My Shelby is a Metallic Red Convertible. I consider it the most beautiful car I have every seen. Not because it is mine. Looking forward to putting it on a road trip this summer.

Favorite Features

662 H.P. and it sticks to the road. It is quick!!

Suggested Improvements

Six speed is tricky to get use to. The clutch/shifting will also take some getting use to. I am quite comfortable with a 5 speed, but the 6 speed is going to take awhile to master.