Used 2011 Ford Shelby GT500 Base Coupe Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2011 Ford Shelby-gt500 - Consumer Reviews

2011 Ford Shelby GT500 Coupe

Base 5.4L V8 Supercharger 6-speed Manual - (10 reviews )

Horrible Value, Poor Workmanship
By jcmorning

2011 Ford Shelby GT500 Coupe 2dr Coupe (5.4L 8cyl S/C 6M)

I bought a brand new Shelby GT500 in December 2010. It was my dream car. However, four years later, that dream has become a nightmare. Everything is breaking on the car, which I rarely drive. The latest straw was the Clutch, which the dealership is saying is worn out. The vehicle only has 23K miles, and doesn't even need new tires! It has had one owner, and one driver(Me). Do not buy one of their vehicles (Ford). Buy an import instead, at least they are more reliable. I am broken hearted, and now just broke....

Favorite Features

Navigation, 5.4L engine.

Suggested Improvements

Use better parts!!! Stand behind your products!

The Ride of your life
By cmos

2011 Ford Shelby GT500 Coupe 2dr Coupe (5.4L 8cyl S/C 6M)

The sheer power of this car is quite evident once you get enough mileage to get boost from the supercharger. Just a punch of the pedal will have your head instantly pinned against your seat. It is both an angel when handled carefully, and it can be beast when you can handle all of its power, and want to see what it has to offer, I prefer this on the track. I have drag raced the vehicle and it quite fast, thanks to the SVPP (Performance Package) . Without the Speed Limiter, it surely is 180 MPH+ car; I have witnessed this first hand. I also highly recommend the Electronics Package, This makes it a complete package. If you can't handle people staring, then this car may not be for you.

Favorite Features

The exhaust note, especially at start--the sheer exhaust blast. Everyone wants to get out of your way to see what you can do.

Suggested Improvements

Heated Leather seats, Power control of both seats w/ memory settings.

First thoughts
By Van

2011 Ford Shelby GT500 Coupe 2dr Coupe (5.4L 8cyl S/C 6M)

I just traded in my 2009 GT500 for this car, and while there were many similarities, the 2011 w/ SVT package and Electronics package is leaps and bounds ahead of the 2009. At first it was the more European design elements that caught my eye. The meaner cowl, the larger and better designed forged wheels, the sleeker interior. The extra 50 horses aren't bad either! After driving the car, I found it had so many more amenities available from steering wheel controls, to voice activation, to personal climate control, to phone synching, and other personalizing touches with new security and driving modes using the ESC and TC.

Favorite Features

All the new (to me) interior features that add a little class to the raw muscle of the car...voice activation, blue tooth synching, the security additions, even down to the little things like the interior trunk release. The open ram-air filter setup, and the key design is better as well.

Suggested Improvements

From an ergonomic standpoint, the cup holders probably need to be out of the way of the shifting arm's elbow rest point. The previous mustang had this problem and so does the new one. Additionally, I think that the glass only doors promote road noise, perhaps a framed window could be the solution?

Power plus
By George

2011 Ford Shelby GT500 Coupe 2dr Coupe (5.4L 8cyl S/C 6M)

The torque will have other drivers watching your rear end. The exhaust sound is almost perfect. Shifting is short-throw and accurate. Stiff suspension. Cornering is good, but not great. You must know how to handle the power, especially on wet pavement or fishtailing will become a way of life. Gas mileage better than I expected. The interior is seriously lacking when compared to the M5 I just traded.

Favorite Features

Torque and exhaust.

Suggested Improvements

For a tall driver, like myself, would like a telescoping wheel. Ford could spend some money on the interior styling. Isn't it time to transition from the single rear axle? Speed bumps are painful.

Awesome Stang
By Steve E

2011 Ford Shelby GT500 Coupe 2dr Coupe (5.4L 8cyl S/C 6M)

This is truly one great car, the build quality is as good as any car made to date. The interior is so cool, the lighting and gauge coloring is simply fantastic. You can sit in this car for hours in the garage and monkey around with it and have so much fun just doing that. The power is amazing. As soon as the car was broken in and the ECU let the car build boost, I hit the gas doing about 40 mph and I couldn't believe it, the car kicked out side ways but the traction control kicked in and saved my silly butt. I truly love this car. Best purchase I made in a long time.

Favorite Features

The super charged 5.4 engine is a killer and it looks menacing. Very well put together. The nicest interior I ever own in a car.

Suggested Improvements

Well, to be honest, I just got the car and so far, it's perfect. If anything comes up, I'll write again.