Used 2011 Ford Shelby GT500 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Shelby GT500 model:

Horrible Value, Poor Workmanship
By jcmorning

2011 Ford Shelby GT500 2dr Coupe (5.4L 8cyl S/C 6M)

I bought a brand new Shelby GT500 in December 2010. It was my dream car. However, four years later, that dream has become a nightmare. Everything is breaking on the car, which I rarely drive. The latest straw was the Clutch, which the dealership is saying is worn out. The vehicle only has 23K miles, and doesn't even need new tires! It has had one owner, and one driver(Me). Do not buy one of their vehicles (Ford). Buy an import instead, at least they are more reliable. I am broken hearted, and now just broke....

Favorite Features

Navigation, 5.4L engine.

Suggested Improvements

Use better parts!!! Stand behind your products!

The Ride of your life
By cmos

2011 Ford Shelby GT500 2dr Coupe (5.4L 8cyl S/C 6M)

The sheer power of this car is quite evident once you get enough mileage to get boost from the supercharger. Just a punch of the pedal will have your head instantly pinned against your seat. It is both an angel when handled carefully, and it can be beast when you can handle all of its power, and want to see what it has to offer, I prefer this on the track. I have drag raced the vehicle and it quite fast, thanks to the SVPP (Performance Package) . Without the Speed Limiter, it surely is 180 MPH+ car; I have witnessed this first hand. I also highly recommend the Electronics Package, This makes it a complete package. If you can't handle people staring, then this car may not be for you.

Favorite Features

The exhaust note, especially at start--the sheer exhaust blast. Everyone wants to get out of your way to see what you can do.

Suggested Improvements

Heated Leather seats, Power control of both seats w/ memory settings.

Attn Getter
By Brian

2011 Ford Shelby GT500 2dr Convertible (5.4L 8cyl S/C 6M)

I am amazed at the way this car handles and the gobs of power. Driving home from dealership I couldn't wait for the 50 miles to pass til the supercharger kicked in. Unreal. I agree with other reviews...this car gets more stares, waves, and nods of admiration then any car I've had. Stock exhaust sounds amazing and the supercharger whine is addictive. When I drive it I am always looking for the long way home. Convertible seems solid as I have not experienced any flexing over bumps. Since all 2011 GT500's have been built it is an exclusive club you'd enter by owning one. Plus, it feels so nice to embarrass others who've paid over double to get the same performance from Germany.

Favorite Features

Exhaust note combined with supercharger whine is the best feature, hands down. Love the power and remarkably decent gas mileage for a supercharged 5.4L. Entertainment package is cool -- especially the touch screen nav/climate controls.

Suggested Improvements

Telescoping steering wheel, heated seats, and why not have memory seats?

First thoughts
By Van

2011 Ford Shelby GT500 2dr Coupe (5.4L 8cyl S/C 6M)

I just traded in my 2009 GT500 for this car, and while there were many similarities, the 2011 w/ SVT package and Electronics package is leaps and bounds ahead of the 2009. At first it was the more European design elements that caught my eye. The meaner cowl, the larger and better designed forged wheels, the sleeker interior. The extra 50 horses aren't bad either! After driving the car, I found it had so many more amenities available from steering wheel controls, to voice activation, to personal climate control, to phone synching, and other personalizing touches with new security and driving modes using the ESC and TC.

Favorite Features

All the new (to me) interior features that add a little class to the raw muscle of the car...voice activation, blue tooth synching, the security additions, even down to the little things like the interior trunk release. The open ram-air filter setup, and the key design is better as well.

Suggested Improvements

From an ergonomic standpoint, the cup holders probably need to be out of the way of the shifting arm's elbow rest point. The previous mustang had this problem and so does the new one. Additionally, I think that the glass only doors promote road noise, perhaps a framed window could be the solution?

Power plus
By George

2011 Ford Shelby GT500 2dr Coupe (5.4L 8cyl S/C 6M)

The torque will have other drivers watching your rear end. The exhaust sound is almost perfect. Shifting is short-throw and accurate. Stiff suspension. Cornering is good, but not great. You must know how to handle the power, especially on wet pavement or fishtailing will become a way of life. Gas mileage better than I expected. The interior is seriously lacking when compared to the M5 I just traded.

Favorite Features

Torque and exhaust.

Suggested Improvements

For a tall driver, like myself, would like a telescoping wheel. Ford could spend some money on the interior styling. Isn't it time to transition from the single rear axle? Speed bumps are painful.