Used 2008 Ford Shelby GT500 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Shelby GT500 model:

Power only
By blair

2008 Ford Shelby GT500 2dr Coupe (5.4L 8cyl S/C 6M)

Power and comfort are excellent. Smooth power band, transmission shifts perfect (previous zo6 owner), upgrades are endless. Finally a solid rear axle for good solid launches. Goodyear supercar tires are poor selection. Tire noise is none, rear end howl is present, no wind noise at higher speeds, rear suspension clunks on bumps. Panhard bar makes rear feel sloppy on hard excel. With shifting. Torque is on demand. Stripes are poorly pieced on, cheap black plastic rockers, mirrors, lower rear bumper cover and chin splitter are present. Highway gears are factory installed (needs 3:73 because of the mustang being overweight). All in all its a fun car to drive!

Favorite Features

Sc 5.4, 6 speed, solid rear axle, shifter has a positive feel. No high speed wind noise

Suggested Improvements

Cheap unpainted plastic on a 50k car, poor pieced on decals. Does not come with Shelby signed dash plaque, but you can purchase at your local Ford parts counter for 220 dollars. 70s disco lighting to change drink holder, dash display and interior lighting to set the mood!

Good Car
By mustangfan

2008 Ford Shelby GT500 2dr Coupe (5.4L 8cyl S/C 6M)

I purchased mine after my GT was ruined in an accident it was not stock so I purchased a GT 500 hoping it would have more potential and it does In stock form. It is a very fun car but feels heavy to me. If looking for true monster Mustang upgrades are needed. Interior upgrade package is definite yes. Much more leather makes it feel nicer to me than plastic dash of other cars. Got Shaker 500 instead of Shaker 1000 no difference in quality just little less bass compared to other car. Replaced Goodyear tires with Nitto 555's and car sticks much better. I love this car but it was as expensive as a faster Vette. If I wasn't such a stang fan I would not have paid this much

Favorite Features

Lots of potential. Lots of aftermarket suppliers for parts. Great look. 6 speed transmission

Suggested Improvements

Heavy pig needs some weight out of front end.

Expectation shortfall
By Hawk

2008 Ford Shelby GT500 2dr Coupe (5.4L 8cyl S/C 6M)

I purchased the car about two months ago. I didn't test drive it prior to purchase and I will never make that mistake again. I have owned most popular sport cars in the last decade from a Z01 Corvette to a Porsche Boxster and everthing in between and this car has been the biggest disappointment. The NAV quit working after a week. The shifter buzzes in neutral with the cluth out and the whole car shutters when you shift into first gear and the tranny is hot. Took to the dealership and they produced a factory notice saying this is "normal" on some lucky owners cars. Not worth the money. Sad it didn't live up to the legend. Wish I still had my Mustang GT.

Favorite Features

Acceleration is good although the car is fairly quiet. The GT's exhaust note is much more throaty. This car you hear the supercharger and that's it.

Suggested Improvements

The transmission needs improved no doubt. The cheesy cup holder lights need to go. The shaker 500 stereo sounds horrible.

Shelby GT500
By Todd

2008 Ford Shelby GT500 2dr Coupe (5.4L 8cyl S/C 6M)

Fun to drive. Sharp looking car. Wanted a little more throttle response, but very satisfied by overall performance.

Favorite Features

Engine, and exterior design.

Suggested Improvements

Antenna in windshield, and paint the stripes on.

Talk of the Town
By DPB

2008 Ford Shelby GT500 2dr Coupe (5.4L 8cyl S/C 6M)

True Mustang fans can tell anyone, hey if your not a mustang fan keep your comments to yourself. Since I purchased my Shelby most people always ask "is it fast"? My first response is to say no, a 1976 Pinto could trash this junker. So I give in and say ya 500 hp can make anyone grin. People always want to compare cars. If you like Vettes buy a Vette, if you like Vipers buy a vVper, etc. All cars are different in shape size hp, torque, etc. That's why living in America is so rewarding. An average Joe like me can build his credit up and buy what ever he wants with in reason. Point to my story, Shelby Gt 500 holds true for being first once again, so here comes Dodge and Chevy trying to out do Ford.

Favorite Features

Leather int. racing wheels, eaton super charger. All the wanna bes looking my way wishing they coud have a GT 500. Metallic paint. The break in period. The effort Carol Shelby and Ford Motor Company put into bring American muscle back to the USA.

Suggested Improvements

A plaque signed by SVT racing team and Carol Shelby to seperate each GT 500. Dealers need to be less price happy $15,000 dealer price increase. I talked mine down to $55,995. Mine was built in 02 of 08. Give the sale time and the dealer will break a little.