Used 2008 Ford Shelby GT500 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Shelby GT500 model:

Needs more improving
By shelbyman

2008 Ford Shelby GT500 2dr Coupe (5.4L 8cyl S/C 6M)

All I can say is that I feel sorry for those that paid over the sticker. I didn't, and I am glad. The power is there, but you better get used to the first gear shudder that the dealership will tell you is a "normal" thing. Yea, sure. Just like the rear end rusting out is, as they say, normal, and will not affect the integrity or performance. Listen, when you pay $50K for a vehicle, you just don't expect these kinds of things, and, to make it worse, the dealer telling you that it is normal. I should of went with the GT. My bad.

Favorite Features

Stlye, performance

Suggested Improvements

Interior is very cheap, work on the clutch/tranny issues, quality.

Thundering horse
By Stud Pony

2008 Ford Shelby GT500 2dr Coupe (5.4L 8cyl S/C 6M)

Love driving it, wish I wasn't so worried about parking it, Idiots with grocery carts and such. My wife's afraid to drive it due to the power but, I can't get enough of it! Interior seems a little cheap looking for top of the line Mustang.

Favorite Features

Love my color, Alloy Metallic, not so many of them out there.

Suggested Improvements

Power seats on both sides please! Speakers in trunk, come on guys. I've also heard noise in shifter and clutch as discribed in previous review. Needs more upgrades to make it more unique to Cobra. Chrome trimmed speakers, embroidered Cobras on headrests and door panels

Love this beast
By Flasher

2008 Ford Shelby GT500 2dr Coupe (5.4L 8cyl S/C 6M)

I have always been a GM person (1967 SS Chevelle in the 60's) I drove this Shelby and wow. Since purchase I have spent less than 3K and got Ford Racing Axel Back exhaust, Ford Racing cold air kit and ford racing retune and then regeared the back end to 3:73. it has hp of Kr now. The only drawback is the good year supercar tires. They do not last and I get wheel hop on hard acceleration especially with TC turned off. I guess when tires need replacing I will go with something better. Still the best bang for buck.And upgrades done at SVT dealer keeps everything under Ford Warranty.

Favorite Features

6 speed tranny, Shaker 1000. Get tons of thumbs up when cruising.

Suggested Improvements

Better tires from the factory and more assortment of wheels in 18" and 20"

Ford Shelby
By Paul Minter

2008 Ford Shelby GT500 2dr Coupe (5.4L 8cyl S/C 6M)

A Brit, lived in US for 8 years, could not afford a Mustang in UK, bought a new GT in 06 & just loved this American Icon, traded for GT500 in July 08 & wow!, Here's a bit of plagiarism from the UK's "Top Gear" auto review TV program "Floor the throttle and the big V8 talks to you, roaring and whistling, the gearbox rattles under load and the axle whines and moans. This engine is pure theatre, bellowing its barely contained rage as the rear tyres bend and twist in search of grip." actually this was written when the GT was launched but is applies to 500. Owned some tasty European sports erotica from, Alfa Romeo, Lancia, Lotus. America be proud of this beast, no one else could make it.

Favorite Features

Frontal look aggressive, supercharger whine, a turn on, Le Mans stripe evocative of a past & glorius racing era, premium package provides sufficient prestige without taking the "Im really a tricked out sport coupe" route.Things get out of the way in front & Z06's want to test you these are features

Suggested Improvements

Got to have louder mufflers ( I now have) these don't even compare to GT, Interior needs to differ more from standard GT, not upgrade just more design difference, Lose a bit of overall weight. Paint stripes not stick on, raise passenger seat marginally & automate this seat.

Can only hear the engine noise
By BRANDON

2008 Ford Shelby GT500 2dr Coupe (5.4L 8cyl S/C 6M)

I purchased the car about two months ago, traded in my Mustang GT. I didn't test drive it prior to purchase and I will never make that mistake again. I have owned most popular sport cars in the last decade from a Z01 Corvette to a Porsche Boxster and everthing in between and this car has been the biggest disappointment. The nav quit working after a week. The shifter buzzes in neutral with the clutch out and the whole car shudders when you shift into first gear and the tranny is hot. Took to the dealership and they produced a factory notice saying this is "normal" on some lucky owners cars. Not worth the money. Sad it didn't live up to the legend. Wish I still had my Mustang GT.

Favorite Features

Acceleration is good although the car is fairly quiet. The GT's exhaust note is much more throaty. This car you hear the supercharger and that's it.

Suggested Improvements

The transmission needs improved no doubt. The cheesy cup holder lights need to go. The Shaker 500 stereo sounds horrible.