2008 Ford Shelby GT500 Coupe - Consumer Reviews

Base 5.4L V8 Supercharger 6-speed Manual - (22 reviews )
"ludicrous speed"
By FAT CAT on 11/16/09 23:14 PM (PST)

2008 Ford Shelby GT500 Coupe 2dr Coupe (5.4L 8cyl S/C 6M)

I have always been a mustang lover, and this one takes the cake for me. It's my third mustang, I have only had this car for 2 months now and I absolutely love it. No bad experiences so far. It takes me about 15 minutes just to get in the car to start it because I have to stare. lots of mods make this car outperform the KR for a fraction of the price. I have never loved mustangs for their great creature comforts, so people should get over that one, and the performance honors its forebearers. Shelby picked a good one on which to put his name once again.

It's all about value
By Wht/w/blu on 03/29/09 07:36 AM (PDT)

2008 Ford Shelby GT500 Coupe 2dr Coupe (5.4L 8cyl S/C 6M)

Having owned a 65 GT350 that was $4906 OTD it was obvious that value was not a concern as that was astronomical then. Fast forward 44 yrs. and being able to get this car for $40k is simply amazing for what it is. There is nothing made on 4 wheels that can compare for the $. Others may nit pick, build quality, mileage, or a miriad of other little things, but it all comes back to bang for the buck. I have an 07 Porsche Turbo that may, or may not be a tick quicker, handles better, and better build but is 3 of these. This car is definitely better and faster than my 65 was, but seeing restored 65's going for $300k it's not in the cards. The economy has brought these cars down to $40k new, get 1.

Go out and drive one
By Vista Blue Shelby on 02/28/09 17:23 PM (PST)

2008 Ford Shelby GT500 Coupe 2dr Coupe (5.4L 8cyl S/C 6M)

Never liked any mustangs. Was always a classic GM muscle car guy. This car has something that most others do not a serious personality. Steering feel is awesome and power is incredible. I have had the privledge of owning many many cars and this is a great car. It will sprint all day and not get tired. Only thing it could use is a louder exhaust and a much better set of tires. I hope to enjoy this car for many years. Kudos to Ford and Shelby for getting this done right. FYI Don't pay sticker price or anywhere near it I didn't and there is no need to just do reseach.

GT 500 The Truth
By Dave Maxx on 02/08/09 17:49 PM (PST)

2008 Ford Shelby GT500 Coupe 2dr Coupe (5.4L 8cyl S/C 6M)

1st thing , removed factory suspension replaced with Eibach Pro+, added evolution ultimate suspension, pulley kit, programed for 91 octane, and magna flow exhaust. It is what it is and nothing more, a muscle car that is more than fun to drive. I also have a 07 c6 Vette. So here is an honest comparison. Vette out performs GT500 in every way as far as race track performance goes, Vette has nicer interior and more bells and whistles. That said however when I go driving the GT500 gets all the attention. As for driving experience, both cars are amazing to drive and put a smile on my face. The Vette gets close to 30 mpg on the highway, the GT500 about 20mpg.

Needs more improving
By shelbyman on 01/08/09 09:37 AM (PST)

2008 Ford Shelby GT500 Coupe 2dr Coupe (5.4L 8cyl S/C 6M)

All I can say is that I feel sorry for those that paid over the sticker. I didn't, and I am glad. The power is there, but you better get used to the first gear shudder that the dealership will tell you is a "normal" thing. Yea, sure. Just like the rear end rusting out is, as they say, normal, and will not affect the integrity or performance. Listen, when you pay $50K for a vehicle, you just don't expect these kinds of things, and, to make it worse, the dealer telling you that it is normal. I should of went with the GT. My bad.

Thundering horse
By Stud Pony on 11/23/08 12:28 PM (PST)

2008 Ford Shelby GT500 Coupe 2dr Coupe (5.4L 8cyl S/C 6M)

Love driving it, wish I wasn't so worried about parking it, Idiots with grocery carts and such. My wife's afraid to drive it due to the power but, I can't get enough of it! Interior seems a little cheap looking for top of the line Mustang.

Love this beast
By Flasher on 11/07/08 13:06 PM (PST)

2008 Ford Shelby GT500 Coupe 2dr Coupe (5.4L 8cyl S/C 6M)

I have always been a GM person (1967 SS Chevelle in the 60's) I drove this Shelby and wow. Since purchase I have spent less than 3K and got Ford Racing Axel Back exhaust, Ford Racing cold air kit and ford racing retune and then regeared the back end to 3:73. it has hp of Kr now. The only drawback is the good year supercar tires. They do not last and I get wheel hop on hard acceleration especially with TC turned off. I guess when tires need replacing I will go with something better. Still the best bang for buck.And upgrades done at SVT dealer keeps everything under Ford Warranty.

Ford Shelby
By Paul Minter on 10/13/08 15:30 PM (PDT)

2008 Ford Shelby GT500 Coupe 2dr Coupe (5.4L 8cyl S/C 6M)

A Brit, lived in US for 8 years, could not afford a Mustang in UK, bought a new GT in 06 & just loved this American Icon, traded for GT500 in July 08 & wow!, Here's a bit of plagiarism from the UK's "Top Gear" auto review TV program "Floor the throttle and the big V8 talks to you, roaring and whistling, the gearbox rattles under load and the axle whines and moans. This engine is pure theatre, bellowing its barely contained rage as the rear tyres bend and twist in search of grip." actually this was written when the GT was launched but is applies to 500. Owned some tasty European sports erotica from, Alfa Romeo, Lancia, Lotus. America be proud of this beast, no one else could make it.

Can only hear the engine noise
By BRANDON on 09/24/08 14:35 PM (PDT)

2008 Ford Shelby GT500 Coupe 2dr Coupe (5.4L 8cyl S/C 6M)

I purchased the car about two months ago, traded in my Mustang GT. I didn't test drive it prior to purchase and I will never make that mistake again. I have owned most popular sport cars in the last decade from a Z01 Corvette to a Porsche Boxster and everthing in between and this car has been the biggest disappointment. The nav quit working after a week. The shifter buzzes in neutral with the clutch out and the whole car shudders when you shift into first gear and the tranny is hot. Took to the dealership and they produced a factory notice saying this is "normal" on some lucky owners cars. Not worth the money. Sad it didn't live up to the legend. Wish I still had my Mustang GT.

Power only
By blair on 09/19/08 00:59 AM (PDT)

2008 Ford Shelby GT500 Coupe 2dr Coupe (5.4L 8cyl S/C 6M)

Power and comfort are excellent. Smooth power band, transmission shifts perfect (previous zo6 owner), upgrades are endless. Finally a solid rear axle for good solid launches. Goodyear supercar tires are poor selection. Tire noise is none, rear end howl is present, no wind noise at higher speeds, rear suspension clunks on bumps. Panhard bar makes rear feel sloppy on hard excel. With shifting. Torque is on demand. Stripes are poorly pieced on, cheap black plastic rockers, mirrors, lower rear bumper cover and chin splitter are present. Highway gears are factory installed (needs 3:73 because of the mustang being overweight). All in all its a fun car to drive!

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.