Used 2008 Ford Shelby GT500 Base Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Shelby GT500 model:

"ludicrous speed"
By FAT CAT

2008 Ford Shelby GT500 2dr Coupe (5.4L 8cyl S/C 6M)

I have always been a mustang lover, and this one takes the cake for me. It's my third mustang, I have only had this car for 2 months now and I absolutely love it. No bad experiences so far. It takes me about 15 minutes just to get in the car to start it because I have to stare. lots of mods make this car outperform the KR for a fraction of the price. I have never loved mustangs for their great creature comforts, so people should get over that one, and the performance honors its forebearers. Shelby picked a good one on which to put his name once again.

Favorite Features

the SC sound, the available upgrades, the muscular look, the performance, the best value, a true driver's high performance car, mine is not (nor will it ever be a garage queen).

Suggested Improvements

a lot of the fixes have been taken care of by the 2010 Shelby, but I actually prefer the look of the '07- '09. But I agree with the other reviews about getting rid of stick on stripes and painting them for goodness sake. Otherwise, incredibly happy with this functional, drivable piece of history

It's all about value
By Wht/w/blu

2008 Ford Shelby GT500 2dr Coupe (5.4L 8cyl S/C 6M)

Having owned a 65 GT350 that was $4906 OTD it was obvious that value was not a concern as that was astronomical then. Fast forward 44 yrs. and being able to get this car for $40k is simply amazing for what it is. There is nothing made on 4 wheels that can compare for the $. Others may nit pick, build quality, mileage, or a miriad of other little things, but it all comes back to bang for the buck. I have an 07 Porsche Turbo that may, or may not be a tick quicker, handles better, and better build but is 3 of these. This car is definitely better and faster than my 65 was, but seeing restored 65's going for $300k it's not in the cards. The economy has brought these cars down to $40k new, get 1.

Favorite Features

Acceleration, handling, value, ext. styling

Suggested Improvements

Just like any other commodity change & more stuff costs $. Ford SVT hit the nail on the head.

Go out and drive one
By Vista Blue Shelby

2008 Ford Shelby GT500 2dr Coupe (5.4L 8cyl S/C 6M)

Never liked any mustangs. Was always a classic GM muscle car guy. This car has something that most others do not a serious personality. Steering feel is awesome and power is incredible. I have had the privledge of owning many many cars and this is a great car. It will sprint all day and not get tired. Only thing it could use is a louder exhaust and a much better set of tires. I hope to enjoy this car for many years. Kudos to Ford and Shelby for getting this done right. FYI Don't pay sticker price or anywhere near it I didn't and there is no need to just do reseach.

Favorite Features

Style, Shelby heritage, power, brakes and handling.

Suggested Improvements

Interior is adequate but should be more consistant with price range. Exhaust sound, Goodyear tires

GT 500 The Truth
By Dave Maxx

2008 Ford Shelby GT500 2dr Coupe (5.4L 8cyl S/C 6M)

1st thing , removed factory suspension replaced with Eibach Pro+, added evolution ultimate suspension, pulley kit, programed for 91 octane, and magna flow exhaust. It is what it is and nothing more, a muscle car that is more than fun to drive. I also have a 07 c6 Vette. So here is an honest comparison. Vette out performs GT500 in every way as far as race track performance goes, Vette has nicer interior and more bells and whistles. That said however when I go driving the GT500 gets all the attention. As for driving experience, both cars are amazing to drive and put a smile on my face. The Vette gets close to 30 mpg on the highway, the GT500 about 20mpg.

Favorite Features

The sound of the supercharger. The amazing torque. The feeling you get when you drive it. The way people are just drawn to the car, the retro looks that take me back

Suggested Improvements

Suspension is a big issue. Wheel hop is terrible on hard acceleration. Adding some more creature comforts would not be a bad idea. Move battery to trunk to help with weight distribution.

Needs more improving
By shelbyman

2008 Ford Shelby GT500 2dr Coupe (5.4L 8cyl S/C 6M)

All I can say is that I feel sorry for those that paid over the sticker. I didn't, and I am glad. The power is there, but you better get used to the first gear shudder that the dealership will tell you is a "normal" thing. Yea, sure. Just like the rear end rusting out is, as they say, normal, and will not affect the integrity or performance. Listen, when you pay $50K for a vehicle, you just don't expect these kinds of things, and, to make it worse, the dealer telling you that it is normal. I should of went with the GT. My bad.

Favorite Features

Stlye, performance

Suggested Improvements

Interior is very cheap, work on the clutch/tranny issues, quality.