New 2011 Ranger owner
By jmmtn on
2011 Ford Ranger XL 2dr SuperCab Styleside SB (2.3L 4cyl 5M)
Can't speak from experience yet. I have been driving 02 Explorer for 8 years and love it. I like the excellent ride, handling, braking, and feel of this new Ranger. I have driven my son's Tacoma and I fail to see the inferior handling and braking of the Ranger spoken about in the Edmunds review. It has Sirius Radio,MP3, PW,PDL, so I don't see the deficit here either. I also don't look to a truck for sports car performance. The criticisms I have mainly read are mostly superflous fluff. So they haven't changed the styling. BFD! I look for a truck to haul/tow my stuff reliably through 0 degree weather 30 miles from nowhere and not guzzle gas. I think the Ranger will work for me.
Favorite Features
5spd Auto Transmission(not manual) Compact size. Comfortable seating. good handling. Nice ride. MPG better than EPA estimate(14-18) 4X4 V6 supercab my actual (HWY 19-20) 4 wheel ABS disc brakes with Roll Control. Extra space behind front seats(I agree jump seats are a joke- will probably take out in favor of more cargo space.) Unchanged styling(like me- if it looks good - why change it?)
Suggested Improvements
Keep making them.
By labman3
on 02/29/12 04:12 AM (PST)

I couldn't agree with you more! I just purchased a 2011 Ford Ranger Super Cab XLT 4dr and it is the second I have purchased. My first one was and still is a 2001 which my son is now driving. It has 180,000 miles on the 4.0 liter and still runs strong. I drove a Tacoma 4 door and wasn't impressed at all. I am sure they are great trucks but not $12,000 more worth it than the Ranger. I agree with you about failing to see the inferior braking, handling and upgrade features. This truck is functional and it gets the job done for me. The 4.0 Liter is more than enough power for this little truck. When I drove it off the lot, I was amazed at how quiet it was compared to my 2010 Honda Accord. You can say what you want but these little trucks are fun to drive and reliable and give you lots of bang for your buck.