Great Truck, Great Price, GREAT MPG!
By trophyf1 on
2011 Ford Ranger XL 2dr SuperCab Styleside SB (2.3L 4cyl 5M)
Bought the truck 6 months ago; XLT 2x4 Extra Cab with the Duratec 2.3L I4, 5 speed Manual trans, & 4.10 rearend gears. So far the truck has been fantastic and surpassed expectations! The Ranger has not changed in years which is a good thing because it still has a great feel when you drive it. Its smooth on the highway, has a convenient interior, and the trucks size allows it to be parked nearly anywhere. Will it win a drag race? NO... but it has all the power it needs. I am happy to start my Ranger every morning... the 5 speed manual is fun to drive and has all the pep it needs with the 2.3. My first ranger was an 02' and was the best vehicle I have ever owned, thus I bought another!!!!!
Favorite Features
The MPG is better than EPA estimates. I calculate MPG every tank (Miles Driven since last complete fill up / Gallons used to fill to full tank). My WORST tank was a 26MPG average with 50/50 city/highway driving normal to gentle and shifting at the shift points indicated in the owners manual. My best tank so far was 29.99MPG AVERAGE! The tank is 19 Gallons so the fuel range is great! (over 400 miles). The interior is very comfortable and Im 6 foot 195lbs.... I love the dash boards shape and that its on the smaller side compared to todays newly designed vehicles with the gigantic dashes that intrude on the driver. The 2.3 Duratec motor is tried and true and has proven to be reliable.
Suggested Improvements
Not much to say here. Ford needs to start advertising these things some more rather than discontinue them. I dont want a truck the size of an F150 or even a new Tacoma, the Ranger is a perfect size! The only thing I can think of with my truck would be to add a 6th speed to the manual trans.... I think the truck would be capable of even better MPG's by keeping the revs down on freeway cruising. Just dont discontinue this vehicle Ford! The Ranger doesnt need to be like the F150 with 10 different brand extensions, just keep it simple like it is.... some of us like myself LOVE simple. Very satisfied with my 2011 Ranger! If you are on the fence, just go buy one... they are great trucks