Used 2011 Ford Ranger XLT SuperCab Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2011 Ford Ranger - Consumer Reviews

2011 Ford Ranger SuperCab

View reviews for a specific Ranger model:

Great Truck, Great Price, GREAT MPG!
By trophyf1

2011 Ford Ranger SuperCab XLT 2dr SuperCab Styleside SB (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

Bought the truck 6 months ago; XLT 2x4 Extra Cab with the Duratec 2.3L I4, 5 speed Manual trans, & 4.10 rearend gears. So far the truck has been fantastic and surpassed expectations! The Ranger has not changed in years which is a good thing because it still has a great feel when you drive it. Its smooth on the highway, has a convenient interior, and the trucks size allows it to be parked nearly anywhere. Will it win a drag race? NO... but it has all the power it needs. I am happy to start my Ranger every morning... the 5 speed manual is fun to drive and has all the pep it needs with the 2.3. My first ranger was an 02' and was the best vehicle I have ever owned, thus I bought another!!!!!

Favorite Features

The MPG is better than EPA estimates. I calculate MPG every tank (Miles Driven since last complete fill up / Gallons used to fill to full tank). My WORST tank was a 26MPG average with 50/50 city/highway driving normal to gentle and shifting at the shift points indicated in the owners manual. My best tank so far was 29.99MPG AVERAGE! The tank is 19 Gallons so the fuel range is great! (over 400 miles). The interior is very comfortable and Im 6 foot 195lbs.... I love the dash boards shape and that its on the smaller side compared to todays newly designed vehicles with the gigantic dashes that intrude on the driver. The 2.3 Duratec motor is tried and true and has proven to be reliable.

Suggested Improvements

Not much to say here. Ford needs to start advertising these things some more rather than discontinue them. I dont want a truck the size of an F150 or even a new Tacoma, the Ranger is a perfect size! The only thing I can think of with my truck would be to add a 6th speed to the manual trans.... I think the truck would be capable of even better MPG's by keeping the revs down on freeway cruising. Just dont discontinue this vehicle Ford! The Ranger doesnt need to be like the F150 with 10 different brand extensions, just keep it simple like it is.... some of us like myself LOVE simple. Very satisfied with my 2011 Ranger! If you are on the fence, just go buy one... they are great trucks

2011 XLT Supercab 4 cyl/manual
By gene2

2011 Ford Ranger SuperCab XLT 2dr SuperCab Styleside SB (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

Traded my 2001 Ranger regular cab in for a 2010 Mustang GT. Once the novelty wore off, I missed my old Ranger so much that I traded the Mustang for a new Ranger. Nothin' fancy - easy to understand/operate controls, great big windows for tremendous visibility, very stable and comfortable ride, nice turn radius for parking lot ops, and 25 MPG with only 800 miles on this new truck. Although the 4 cylinder engine won't let you win any drag races, it's certainly enough power to get around town and accelerate to highway speeds safely. Great 5 speed manual transmission and clutch. Perfectly sized truck; easy to get into and out of. Perfect bed height for loading/unloading cargo.

Favorite Features

All the standard safety features - traction control, stability control, roll over control, extra airbags. Visibility, handling, XM radio, size. 25 mpg on a brand new motor - nice! Also, love the fold-down center console - it's the perfect height for resting my right arm on when not shifting gears. Great big side view mirrors - no blind spots! $3500 rebate PLUS $1,000 trade-in rebate.

Suggested Improvements

pointless - This is the Ranger's last year (I think). However, if I'm wrong, I wish that Ford would add a telescoping feature to the tiltable steering wheel. That's it - great little truck.