2010 Ford Ranger Consumer Review: X Mazda owner followup

2010 Ford Ranger - Consumer Review

XL Regular Cab Pickup (2.3L 4-cyl. 5-speed Manual 6.1 ft. Bed)

X Mazda owner followup
By X Maxda Owner on

2010 Ford Ranger XL 2dr Regular Cab Styleside SB (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

Having taken the Ranger on several trips I questioned the horsepower ratings made by ford. I took it to a dyno shop here in Sacramento and the truck produced 124 peak horsepower. This is about right counting drive train power lose. Ford claims 156 so at 20% drive train lose, this number, 124, is right on. Here is what I don't understand. The Ranger won't pull the same hills as the 1991 Mazda truck did. The Mazda got 27.5 miles per gallon. The ford Ranger gets 27.5 miles per gallon. So where is the progress? Ford has had 19 years to get the same gas mileage? Ford also chose to make the bed shorter, presumably to save money. I purchased the ford bedliner, now the bed cannot hold six feet.

Favorite Features

As I stated before, arm rest, big side mirrors, good styling, 4 wheel disk breaks, very quiet, well priced, bucket seats, good head rest, good visibility.

Suggested Improvements

Lengthen the bed by one inch so when the ford bedliner is installed you still have a six foot bed capacity. This truck really needs a six speed transmission. The passenger side seat belt has a patch like thing sewn on it that makes it difficult to use the seat belt. The buckle gets stuck on it.