Used 2010 Ford Ranger SuperCab Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2010 Ford Ranger - Consumer Reviews

2010 Ford Ranger SuperCab

View reviews for a specific Ranger model:

Exactly what I wanted.
By DS

2010 Ford Ranger SuperCab XLT 2dr SuperCab Styleside SB (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I wanted an inexpensive truck with the best mileage and bought it. Rowing gears for the 3 mpg bonus. Bought for commuting and occasional loads, and it is perfect. Fit and finish is very good. Ride a little too soft in the front, not enough valving in the shocks. Styling is dated, but I knew what I was buying. With the 4.10 gears, if this truck had a 6 speed, it could have been a cult classic. The NVH,(noise, vibration, harshness)of the motor could be better, but the 2.3 aluminum block Duratec design is 9 years old and not annoying. Shifting and clutching is nice; clutch takeup is light and intuitive, the shifter is precise, but this isn't a sports car.

Favorite Features

Mileage! 2.3 is spunky if you twist it, but that defeats the purpose. With a 19 gallon tank and 25+ mpg, 400 miles between fill ups is nice. Blue Metallic is gorgeous. The interior cloth seats are not soft, but will probably hold up to time. Did I say mileage?

Suggested Improvements

Did not like the excessive dive and jounce of the front shocks, replaced them with KYB G2, way better. Hellwig sway bars front and rear to burn a few corners. Didn't like the stock radio, replaced with Pioneer Nav, Bluetooth and Sirius with a custom sub, that's better.

Nice truck until March 31, 2012 when it burned completely up
By pricecat

2010 Ford Ranger SuperCab XLT 4dr SuperCab Styleside SB (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

I purchased my 2010 Ford Ranger Super Cap in Mar 2010 and had 18K miles. It was a very nice truck with no problems. This past Saturday (March 31, 2012), while This is a 5 speed automatic. On 3/31/12, while driving, it caught fire and burned up totally. We got out of it before it was engulfed and we did not get hurt. The truck is a total loss. We smelled a burnt-match-like smell and stopped to investigate. The truck was already on fire when we got out and we were not able to lift the hood. There was no warning that something was wrong. . . no light lit up to indicate a problem. I'm curious if there are others who have experienced this as well.

Better Than Expected
By Don

2010 Ford Ranger SuperCab SPORT 2dr SuperCab Styleside SB (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

Needed a smaller truck for use on homestead. We have an Expedition but it is not ideal for work intended. Power from the 4.0 L is good. Averaged 22 mpg on 800 mile trip at 75 mph. Mixed driving around area and average around 18 mpg.still a lot better than the Expedition. In the past I have had full size diesels, V-8s and one B-2000 Mazda (208,000 miles). This truck performs as well and gets the job required done with no problems.

Favorite Features

Fit and Finish Excellent, Good Power, Good Mileage. Love the Sirius radio.

Suggested Improvements

More storage in the cab.

Better than my S10
By kwuerfl

2010 Ford Ranger SuperCab XLT 4dr SuperCab Styleside SB (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

Love the stiff suspension and handling. I love driving this little truck lots of fun in the dessert.

Favorite Features

Looks great.

Suggested Improvements

Needs limited slip differential and stability control for better driving and safety.

Poor Gas Mileage
By Mike

2010 Ford Ranger SuperCab SPORT 4dr SuperCab Styleside SB (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

Since buying the truck, I have recorded every gas purchase into an excel spreadsheet. Recording price per gallon, gallons purchased, cost, date of transaction, transaction number, etc. Then calcing mileage of last tank of gas & over all mileage. My overall mileage is very slightly over 16 MPG. I do not drive the vehicle hard and my driving is a mix of highway & city. When I have driven a full tank of almost all highway I only got 15.871 MPG.

Favorite Features

Simple truck with some creature comforts. And it doesn't take up the whole garage.

Suggested Improvements

Better gas mileage.