2010 Ford Ranger - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Ranger model:
First new car, LOVE IT
By CaspianX on 05/07/10 10:26 AM (PDT)

2010 Ford Ranger XLT 4dr SuperCab 4WD Styleside SB (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

I have a 1987 Jeep Cherokee which I cherish, and only having 68,800 miles it's my baby. When I turned 18 I wanted a second vehicle because my Jeep had been wrecked and was in the shop getting repairs and some custom work done. I stumbled upon my beautiful Dark Shadow Metallic Ranger. I love it and drive it everyday, leaving my Jeep as my weekend car. I've had it almost three months and its only up to 1776 miles. LOVE IT and the gas is better than my jeep for being a 4x4 V6. Being 4'11" it is the perfect size for me.

Fuel economy and safety
By RK on 04/18/10 14:23 PM (PDT)

2010 Ford Ranger SPORT 4dr SuperCab Styleside SB (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

I recently purchased a 2010 Ford Ranger Sport, 6cyl, auto. Use it for mostly in town driving. Fuel consumption is 20 L per 100 km which equates to less than 14 mpg (CDN gallon). The truck revs at over a 1000 rpm until it has reached max temp. This means on the flat stretch it will do over 20 kph without putting your foot on the accelerator. Extremely hard on the brakes when going through parking lots and down any sort of an incline. I am usually at my destination before the truck has completely warmed up. I brought the matter to Ford's attention but they state it is the way these Rangers are built. Personally I find it annoying and dangerous.

Follow up of initial review
By John on 04/11/10 21:55 PM (PDT)

2010 Ford Ranger XLT 4dr SuperCab 4WD Styleside SB (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

I wrote the review titled by "John" 3rd Ford Ranger. At this point having owned the truck for about 6 months I can give a little better review. The brakes, they have squealed since day one. Fuel economy on this truck is absolutly terrible. The fit and finish of the truck leave a lot to be desired if one cares a lot about such things. For instance my bed is flush on one side when compared to the cab, but protrudes about 3/4" on the other side of the cab. The tailgate is flush with the bed rail on one side, but sits about 1/4" lower then the rail on the other side. Minor things, but obvious if you're looking, but it still gets the job done and is a dependable truck

X Mazda owner followup
By X Maxda Owner on 02/21/10 18:24 PM (PST)

2010 Ford Ranger XL 2dr Regular Cab Styleside SB (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

Having taken the Ranger on several trips I questioned the horsepower ratings made by ford. I took it to a dyno shop here in Sacramento and the truck produced 124 peak horsepower. This is about right counting drive train power lose. Ford claims 156 so at 20% drive train lose, this number, 124, is right on. Here is what I don't understand. The Ranger won't pull the same hills as the 1991 Mazda truck did. The Mazda got 27.5 miles per gallon. The ford Ranger gets 27.5 miles per gallon. So where is the progress? Ford has had 19 years to get the same gas mileage? Ford also chose to make the bed shorter, presumably to save money. I purchased the ford bedliner, now the bed cannot hold six feet.

B2200 Vs Ranger
By X Mazda owner on 01/14/10 21:01 PM (PST)

2010 Ford Ranger XL 2dr Regular Cab Styleside SB (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I drove a 1991 Mazda B2200 for 238,000 miles. I decided to buy a new truck and settled on the Ford, which is supposed to be the same as Mazda. The Mazda had 94 horspower, the Ranger claims 148. On the same trip I have driven a 100 times with the Mazda, the Ranger couldn't pull the same hills without slowing down. It has higher gearing so it can't pull like the Mazda did. On some sections of bad road it handles very badly, kinda like skips. Quality is a bit sloppy. there were burrs on the door handles, on the steering wheel, and down under where you grab the emergency brake lever. The cover on the steering wheel that covers the air bag, has a gap that caught my coat sleeve button, not good.

Like and Old Friend
By Cobber on 01/10/10 17:50 PM (PST)

2010 Ford Ranger XLT 4dr SuperCab 4WD Styleside SB (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

I just bought my new Ranger, and I must say it is like an old friend all ready. The style is old but classic, and looks like a truck should. I was surprised at the power of the V6 engine, although the fuel mileage is a little disappointing so far. I understand that fuel economy will improve with break in. I hope Ford will keep this truck in its lineup.Its sales are as good as the F150.

Just like old times
By Glenn on 12/20/09 16:20 PM (PST)

2010 Ford Ranger XLT 4dr SuperCab 4WD Styleside SB (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

This is my third Ranger. It is just like my last one, however my last one was a 1994 model. Some may think this is a bad thing but I view it differently. I know that this vehicle will be reliable and when used as intended, it is not a disappointment. This truck was designed when trucks were to be used as trucks and not luxury vehicles. It isn't as refined as its competition but it will do a hard days work at a much more reasonable price. It is like driving a truck from the past but sometimes the past isn't so bad.

3rd Ford Ranger
By John on 11/15/09 18:49 PM (PST)

2010 Ford Ranger XLT 4dr SuperCab 4WD Styleside SB (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

I just purchased the 4x4 XLT extended cab today, so I can't judge longterm on reliability. So far it's great, very comfortable, the 4.0L engine is responsive and powerful for highway driving. I think the ride is good, and the interior although the almost the same as my 98, is practical and easy to use. The styling is nice, and I like the fact that is indeed a true compact pickup. These little trucks are a good value for those not needing a huge rig, and the inconvenience that comes with large trucks, i.e. parking. Yes, this truck hasn't changed a lot in the past decade +, but I think the styling and overall design is fine the way it is, why mess with a good thing?

Ranger in review
By got taken on 11/01/09 20:18 PM (PST)

2010 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr Regular Cab Styleside SB (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

One would think that Ford Motor Co could and would know how to build a good quality Ranger truck by now since they have been building the same one for a number of years now. This truck vibrates (4 cyl). While driving several now, I find only one in five that do not vibrate ( from the engine) You will feel it in steering wheel, while power is engaging, and in the ride itself. I found out now that Ford knows about this and does nothing more than send out a notice to dealers that they have a couple of plates to stable the engine abit to keep it from vibrating as much as it is doing. The poor quality of workmanship of the people working for Ford (USA) and the Ford Motor Company is bad

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2010 Ford Ranger in VA is:

$121 per month*