2010 Ford Ranger Regular Cab - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Ranger model:
2010 Ranger Reg Cab XLT
By Billy Rockfish on 11/04/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2010 Ford Ranger Regular Cab XLT 2dr Regular Cab Styleside SB (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

Reliability, I'm sure,will be well above average. MANY Rangers on the streets, roads and freeways of Oahu (Hawaii) of all vintages. I've never heard of anyone having a bad Ford Ranger, hence one of the decisions towards my purchase. That, and the value of the features offered on the Ranger, it's looks (I don't care if it hasn't changed much in 12 years!) and the fact that it's an 'evergreen' truck with a good reputation for economy and reliability were factors in selecting this truck over its competition. I am averaging 24-25mpg in mixed city/highway driving. I have the 5A. Great truck which will undoubtedly please me. Used for play, commute and work.

Not as bad as they say!
By JohnRangerboy on 10/19/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2010 Ford Ranger Regular Cab XL 2dr Regular Cab Styleside SB (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I wanted a small 4 cyl truck with auto transmission. I bought on price and features, 4 wheel disc brakes, 5 speed auto, air, tow package, abs, traction and stability control all standard on my Ranger. On Tacoma air was extra and only drum rear brakes, Colorado also rear drum brakes. So far I've clocked 7,000 miles, average gas mileage is 23 mpg since new. Best gas mileage was 29 mpg on extended trip on the freeway. Handling feels very secure and traction control in the snow/ice really worked well-that was my main concern with a light weight rear drive truck. I don't carry very heavy loads but middling load doesn't seem to bother ride/handling acceleration.(although the preselect header says 5M I have 5A..

Old sheetmetal, new tech..Love it
By Lenny on 07/10/10 00:14 AM (PDT)

2010 Ford Ranger Regular Cab XLT 2dr Regular Cab Styleside SB (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

Only had the truck for 2 weeks, so can't comment on reliability. Had an 05 Colorado CC Z71 2WD(poor mileage, jolting ride) an 08 Frontier V6 ext cab(very poor mileage). Got the XLT for the options and the 2.3/5M for mileage. Am very pleased with the ride(much better than Colorado/not quite as good as Frontier)Fit and finish are as good as previous trucks. Brakes(4 wheel disc) are on par with others. Power and acceleration are down from others, but is acceptable.The mileage is light years ahead of others, about 10 MPG better than both previous city and highway. I only tow light loads(flat boat/utility tlr), eng. easily handles Based on build quality, ride, mileage. I highly recommend

X Mazda owner followup
By X Maxda Owner on 02/21/10 18:24 PM (PST)

2010 Ford Ranger Regular Cab XL 2dr Regular Cab Styleside SB (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

Having taken the Ranger on several trips I questioned the horsepower ratings made by ford. I took it to a dyno shop here in Sacramento and the truck produced 124 peak horsepower. This is about right counting drive train power lose. Ford claims 156 so at 20% drive train lose, this number, 124, is right on. Here is what I don't understand. The Ranger won't pull the same hills as the 1991 Mazda truck did. The Mazda got 27.5 miles per gallon. The ford Ranger gets 27.5 miles per gallon. So where is the progress? Ford has had 19 years to get the same gas mileage? Ford also chose to make the bed shorter, presumably to save money. I purchased the ford bedliner, now the bed cannot hold six feet.

B2200 Vs Ranger
By X Mazda owner on 01/14/10 21:01 PM (PST)

2010 Ford Ranger Regular Cab XL 2dr Regular Cab Styleside SB (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I drove a 1991 Mazda B2200 for 238,000 miles. I decided to buy a new truck and settled on the Ford, which is supposed to be the same as Mazda. The Mazda had 94 horspower, the Ranger claims 148. On the same trip I have driven a 100 times with the Mazda, the Ranger couldn't pull the same hills without slowing down. It has higher gearing so it can't pull like the Mazda did. On some sections of bad road it handles very badly, kinda like skips. Quality is a bit sloppy. there were burrs on the door handles, on the steering wheel, and down under where you grab the emergency brake lever. The cover on the steering wheel that covers the air bag, has a gap that caught my coat sleeve button, not good.

Ranger in review
By got taken on 11/01/09 20:18 PM (PST)

2010 Ford Ranger Regular Cab XLT 2dr Regular Cab Styleside SB (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

One would think that Ford Motor Co could and would know how to build a good quality Ranger truck by now since they have been building the same one for a number of years now. This truck vibrates (4 cyl). While driving several now, I find only one in five that do not vibrate ( from the engine) You will feel it in steering wheel, while power is engaging, and in the ride itself. I found out now that Ford knows about this and does nothing more than send out a notice to dealers that they have a couple of plates to stable the engine abit to keep it from vibrating as much as it is doing. The poor quality of workmanship of the people working for Ford (USA) and the Ford Motor Company is bad

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2010 Ford Ranger Regular-cab in VA is:

$121 per month*