2010 Ford Ranger - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Ranger model:
Nice truck until March 31, 2012 when it burned completely up
By pricecat on 04/02/12 21:14 PM (PDT)

2010 Ford Ranger XLT 4dr SuperCab Styleside SB (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

I purchased my 2010 Ford Ranger Super Cap in Mar 2010 and had 18K miles. It was a very nice truck with no problems. This past Saturday (March 31, 2012), while This is a 5 speed automatic. On 3/31/12, while driving, it caught fire and burned up totally. We got out of it before it was engulfed and we did not get hurt. The truck is a total loss. We smelled a burnt-match-like smell and stopped to investigate. The truck was already on fire when we got out and we were not able to lift the hood. There was no warning that something was wrong. . . no light lit up to indicate a problem. I'm curious if there are others who have experienced this as well.

Better than my S10
By kwuerfl on 12/22/11 23:53 PM (PST)

2010 Ford Ranger XLT 4dr SuperCab Styleside SB (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

Love the stiff suspension and handling. I love driving this little truck lots of fun in the dessert.

2010 Ranger Reg Cab XLT
By Billy Rockfish on 11/04/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2010 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr Regular Cab Styleside SB (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

Reliability, I'm sure,will be well above average. MANY Rangers on the streets, roads and freeways of Oahu (Hawaii) of all vintages. I've never heard of anyone having a bad Ford Ranger, hence one of the decisions towards my purchase. That, and the value of the features offered on the Ranger, it's looks (I don't care if it hasn't changed much in 12 years!) and the fact that it's an 'evergreen' truck with a good reputation for economy and reliability were factors in selecting this truck over its competition. I am averaging 24-25mpg in mixed city/highway driving. I have the 5A. Great truck which will undoubtedly please me. Used for play, commute and work.

Better Than Expected
By Don on 11/03/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2010 Ford Ranger SPORT 2dr SuperCab Styleside SB (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

Needed a smaller truck for use on homestead. We have an Expedition but it is not ideal for work intended. Power from the 4.0 L is good. Averaged 22 mpg on 800 mile trip at 75 mph. Mixed driving around area and average around 18 mpg.still a lot better than the Expedition. In the past I have had full size diesels, V-8s and one B-2000 Mazda (208,000 miles). This truck performs as well and gets the job required done with no problems.

Not as bad as they say!
By JohnRangerboy on 10/19/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2010 Ford Ranger XL 2dr Regular Cab Styleside SB (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I wanted a small 4 cyl truck with auto transmission. I bought on price and features, 4 wheel disc brakes, 5 speed auto, air, tow package, abs, traction and stability control all standard on my Ranger. On Tacoma air was extra and only drum rear brakes, Colorado also rear drum brakes. So far I've clocked 7,000 miles, average gas mileage is 23 mpg since new. Best gas mileage was 29 mpg on extended trip on the freeway. Handling feels very secure and traction control in the snow/ice really worked well-that was my main concern with a light weight rear drive truck. I don't carry very heavy loads but middling load doesn't seem to bother ride/handling acceleration.(although the preselect header says 5M I have 5A..

Poor Gas Mileage
By Mike on 09/28/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2010 Ford Ranger SPORT 4dr SuperCab Styleside SB (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

Since buying the truck, I have recorded every gas purchase into an excel spreadsheet. Recording price per gallon, gallons purchased, cost, date of transaction, transaction number, etc. Then calcing mileage of last tank of gas & over all mileage. My overall mileage is very slightly over 16 MPG. I do not drive the vehicle hard and my driving is a mix of highway & city. When I have driven a full tank of almost all highway I only got 15.871 MPG.

Not bad for an old body!
By Gonzo on 08/17/10 18:30 PM (PDT)

2010 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr SuperCab Styleside SB (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

In the past 5 years I have owned 3 trucks, a Honda Ridgeline, a Nissan Frontier and the new Ford Ranger. The Ridgeline and the Frontiers were both 6 cyl and gas guzzlers. I don't tow, so I wanted better mileage and a 4 cyl was the one I needed. I settled for the Ranger because I can get it pretty much with everything I want on the XLT model. It is a great small/compact truck and I like this. Mileage is very good and the 4 cyl has enough power for my needs. I was getting 14 MPG's on the Ridgeline and 15 MPG on the Frontier. I get way over 24 in the city with the Ranger and so far almost 30 on the highway. Nice truck for the price.

Old sheetmetal, new tech..Love it
By Lenny on 07/10/10 00:14 AM (PDT)

2010 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr Regular Cab Styleside SB (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

Only had the truck for 2 weeks, so can't comment on reliability. Had an 05 Colorado CC Z71 2WD(poor mileage, jolting ride) an 08 Frontier V6 ext cab(very poor mileage). Got the XLT for the options and the 2.3/5M for mileage. Am very pleased with the ride(much better than Colorado/not quite as good as Frontier)Fit and finish are as good as previous trucks. Brakes(4 wheel disc) are on par with others. Power and acceleration are down from others, but is acceptable.The mileage is light years ahead of others, about 10 MPG better than both previous city and highway. I only tow light loads(flat boat/utility tlr), eng. easily handles Based on build quality, ride, mileage. I highly recommend

Completely Satisfied
By Phil on 06/30/10 00:49 AM (PDT)

2010 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr SuperCab Styleside SB (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

Bought this truck to replace a 4 door with a 3.0 V6. I thought I would be sacrificing performance for gas mileage, but I was wrong. The taller gearing takes a little getting used to but the performance is as good or better than the 3.0 V6, and the gas mileage is much better. I can get 27 on the hi-way and 22 to 24 around town. The 16 valve engine likes to rev, and feels very snappy in town, while handling the hills quite well. I had no trouble at all pulling the Shasta/Siskiou grade on I-5 in 5th gear. I also had a 91 with the old 2.3 liter, and I think this compares quite well with that truck. The transmission and overall fit and finish is better on this one too. I am quite pleased.

Exactly what I wanted.
By DS on 05/09/10 00:52 AM (PDT)

2010 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr SuperCab Styleside SB (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I wanted an inexpensive truck with the best mileage and bought it. Rowing gears for the 3 mpg bonus. Bought for commuting and occasional loads, and it is perfect. Fit and finish is very good. Ride a little too soft in the front, not enough valving in the shocks. Styling is dated, but I knew what I was buying. With the 4.10 gears, if this truck had a 6 speed, it could have been a cult classic. The NVH,(noise, vibration, harshness)of the motor could be better, but the 2.3 aluminum block Duratec design is 9 years old and not annoying. Shifting and clutching is nice; clutch takeup is light and intuitive, the shifter is precise, but this isn't a sports car.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2010 Ford Ranger in VA is:

$121 per month*