Used 2010 Ford Ranger Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2010 Ford Ranger - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Ranger model:

Update; September 2015 of my 2010 initial review.
By Billy Rockfish

2010 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr Regular Cab Styleside SB (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

If you can find a good used Ford Ranger of this vintage, buy it. The only non-maintenance item that ever gave me trouble was the fuel pump. It quit at around 38K. Ford replaced it under warranty (Honolulu Ford); no questions; no cost. Truck is getting ready to turn 70K. I have the 2.3 Litre DOHC four with the 5-speed automatic (drop down menu does not let me select automatic). Did my 60K servicing at 57K; replaced the Continentals with Firestone Discovery tires (better quality); brake job done at 63K (amazing since I drive in the City and County of Honolulu which is well known for having heavy traffic). Replaced the Ford stock shocks with Monroe-Matics. Still a stiff and jounce-bouncey ride, but after all - it IS a truck! A/C still blows ice cold and I am VERY PLEASED with this little truck. I will keep this forever as most people out here keep their Rangers for many miles and many years. Impossible to find a used Ranger on Oahu; there are some in lots on Maui. A drunk driver plowed into my Ranger and it was almost totaled, however an expert body shop (approved by my insurer) did a good job on the repair and is very much roadable with no degradation in driveability or safety. This '10 Ford Ranger is one of the best vehicles I've ever owned and last Sunday (9/6/15), I got the best economy ever with 30.5 mpg. Great truck !!

Nice truck until March 31, 2012 when it burned completely up
By pricecat

2010 Ford Ranger XLT 4dr SuperCab Styleside SB (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

I purchased my 2010 Ford Ranger Super Cap in Mar 2010 and had 18K miles. It was a very nice truck with no problems. This past Saturday (March 31, 2012), while This is a 5 speed automatic. On 3/31/12, while driving, it caught fire and burned up totally. We got out of it before it was engulfed and we did not get hurt. The truck is a total loss. We smelled a burnt-match-like smell and stopped to investigate. The truck was already on fire when we got out and we were not able to lift the hood. There was no warning that something was wrong. . . no light lit up to indicate a problem. I'm curious if there are others who have experienced this as well.

Better than my S10
By kwuerfl

2010 Ford Ranger XLT 4dr SuperCab Styleside SB (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

Love the stiff suspension and handling. I love driving this little truck lots of fun in the dessert.

Looks great.

Needs limited slip differential and stability control for better driving and safety.

2010 Ranger Reg Cab XLT
By Billy Rockfish

2010 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr Regular Cab Styleside SB (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

Reliability, I'm sure,will be well above average. MANY Rangers on the streets, roads and freeways of Oahu (Hawaii) of all vintages. I've never heard of anyone having a bad Ford Ranger, hence one of the decisions towards my purchase. That, and the value of the features offered on the Ranger, it's looks (I don't care if it hasn't changed much in 12 years!) and the fact that it's an 'evergreen' truck with a good reputation for economy and reliability were factors in selecting this truck over its competition. I am averaging 24-25mpg in mixed city/highway driving. I have the 5A. Great truck which will undoubtedly please me. Used for play, commute and work.

Great fuel economy - good power in all driving situations (143 hp 2.3L 16 V 4 cyl). Compactness an advantage in heavy Honolulu traffic

Although Ranger may not come back after '12, if it does, an improved unladen ride would be welcome. Otherwise, don't monkey with a good thing.

Better Than Expected
By Don

2010 Ford Ranger SPORT 2dr SuperCab Styleside SB (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

Needed a smaller truck for use on homestead. We have an Expedition but it is not ideal for work intended. Power from the 4.0 L is good. Averaged 22 mpg on 800 mile trip at 75 mph. Mixed driving around area and average around 18 mpg.still a lot better than the Expedition. In the past I have had full size diesels, V-8s and one B-2000 Mazda (208,000 miles). This truck performs as well and gets the job required done with no problems.

Fit and Finish Excellent, Good Power, Good Mileage. Love the Sirius radio.

More storage in the cab.

• SUV