Off-Road Machine
By jonno11 on
2009 Ford Ranger XL 2dr Regular Cab Styleside SB (2.3L 4cyl 5M)
I bought the truck brand new in 2009, in a little over two years of driving I have put 43,000 kilometres on it. Just finished a road trip of 1800 kilometres through the Rocky Mountains, and it performed flawlessly. Only anomaly was the tire pressure sensor going off during extreme altitude changes, though that is a sensor issue that most vehicles have. I have used the vehicles for construction work as well as daily commuting and weekend warrior duty off-road. It has hauled ATV's, trailers, and a 6000lb camper and done s without complaint and with decent mileage. I generally average above EPA mileage, especially now that the truck is broken in. I recommend it as an inexpensive workhorse.
Favorite Features
I love the LSD rear end and the 4.10 gears, and the 5 speed Auto makes good use of the trucks power and torque bands. The fender flares are aggressive, as are the Y-spoke wheels. The sliding rear window allows me to carry long objects without dropping the tailgate. I love the look of the grill and the clear front lights.
Suggested Improvements
I wish the truck came with 4 wheel disc brakes, a lockable tailgate, and more aggressive factory tires. I would also have loved if an electronic locking rear diff was offered, like the Frontier.