Used 2009 Ford Ranger Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Ford Ranger - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Ranger model:

Great small truck
By gen contractor

2009 Ford Ranger XL 2dr Regular Cab Styleside LB (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

Bought a used xl longbed,2.3with 5spd. manual. As a 60 yr.old man, 6'tall, 250 lbs., I find this vehicle a solid buy and a solid performer. It's no frills, but peppy, frugal, and very tight. The design may be old but it's sure as hell not dated. A great value.

Favorite Features

Easy in and out, good seats, lots of get-up, and great fuel economy(25mpg in town).

Suggested Improvements

maybe an interior storage bin

Ford Ranger = poor quality
By Ford clunker

2009 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr Regular Cab Styleside SB (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

Truck is built cheaper than my 2000 Ranger. Rattles and sqeaks from day one. Shakes and runs so rough that it causes the body and seat to shake. This goes on while driving at all speeds. Dealership says this is in 'normal' range. Gas mileage is about 19 1/2. Far from the 21-26. Radio poor quality also. Cannot pick up stations that can on 2000 Rangers radio. Very unhappy and sorry to have purchased. Would not advise to buy.

Favorite Features

single cab and size for a runabout. this truck has great possibilities but is being built with people who do not really care, all the way from management to the on line workers.

Suggested Improvements

Quality control and be careful not to let poor quality running trucks to be sent to dealers to sell to poor customers that are looking for a decent running quality truck and transportation.

Beyond Expectations
By Rangerpilot

2009 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr SuperCab Styleside SB (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I bought a 2009 Ranger XLT supercab automatic w/ the 2.3 liter 4 cylinder w/AC power windows, & CD. After reading all the average to poor reviews on the ranger, I only intended this vehicle as a low cost commuter and multi-purpose vehicle. It is actually quite good. Excellent price at less than $15K, acceptable acceleration, terrific fuel economy for a truck at 24 mpg average for 60/40 highway/city, and good build quality which Ford is now known for. I am very impressed. I drive a Mercedes Benz C350 as my other car.

Favorite Features

Fuel economy at 25 highway and 21 city, easy to beat the EPA sticker

Suggested Improvements

This truck is on its way out, just keep it the same, 2009 has side airbags I heard

fun lil' truck
By kcirtap

2009 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr SuperCab Styleside SB (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

1st tank of fuel mpg disappointment 16.5mpg. But doing research learned that as engine loosen with more mileage it would get better and it did, with the 5sp. automatic I'm now averaging 30mpg after putting on 4,500 miles. Got 535miles out of last tank fill. Truck has a tight feel when driven, would be a perfect ten if it did'nt wonder when encountering road bumps. Needed attention by Ford. Otherwise great lil' truck! If you are over 6ft. like myself get the extended cap, trust me.

Favorite Features

pwr windows,door locks,and mirrors. Neat sound system w/rear speakers in extended cab. Aux plug for mp3. Nice high back seats. Good place for cupholders. Secondary pwr plug

Suggested Improvements

NO bouncing or jerking when hitting road bumps!

Wanted another delevery truck.
By Ranger XLT

2009 Ford Ranger XLT 4dr SuperCab Styleside SB (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

First off it is an automactic, I could not find a choice for auto when filling out the Edmonds form. My last truck was also a RangerXLT, it was a 1996. I still have it, having done courier work in it since it was new, it now has 632,457 miles. all oringal, except routine maintance, tires, etc. The normal wear and tear stuff. The drivers seat has lost most of its cush, but not bad considering the hours sitting in it. Im just amazed how good its been, and still is. Now for the 2009, it seems to be built good and tight, and my reason for getting it, was solely for the reliabilty record these trucks have. Our luxury vehicle is a 2006 Toyota Tacoma Crew Cab. Back to the new 2009, I could'nt have

Favorite Features

reliaiby

Suggested Improvements

everything, My 96 has power seats tinted windsheild, cutoff for center airvents light underhood, much quiter and smoother with I-beam frontend. Ford has cost-cutted the newer Rangers to death. So reliblty is why I got it.