2009 Ford Ranger - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Ranger model:
Tough and Fun Truck to Drive
By Alfaromeo164 on 01/15/10 12:22 PM (PST)

2009 Ford Ranger SPORT 2dr SuperCab Styleside SB (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

I bought my truck brand new and I now have 30000 in just 8 months. I havent had any real bad experiences. The only thing that stopped working is the dome light, which only turns on every so often, At 10,000KM I noticed that my clutch pedal started making a funny squeaking noise, Sounds like it needs lubrication. At 18,000km The passenger side seat stopped reclining. Im not worried because its all covered under warranty. Other than this the truck runs flawless, and is great to drive around. It handles great in Snow and sticks to the road. Its a good buy for the money. I would highly reccomend putting a tonneau cover for a little better fuel mileage.

best for the money
By don on 12/08/09 09:51 AM (PST)

2009 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr Regular Cab Styleside SB (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

The thing to remember when buying a Ranger is know what you are buying. If you need room for more than two people the extended cab won't get it. Another hit it takes is for styling. I like the looks of the Ranger, especially the more pronounced grille and hood on the 2009. I have 2900 miles on my regular cab XLT, 4 cylinder, and five speed manual. First tank averaged 25.2 and now get a 31.5 highway. Haven't checked town driving, but I imagine it's about 26. Know going in you don't have extra power with the four, but it's sufficient and has that great mileage. This is my second Ranger and I love them. I find them comfortable, reliable, tough, good looking, and inexpensive.

Good simple truck
By Kevin Hurren on 10/17/09 16:21 PM (PDT)

2009 Ford Ranger XL 2dr Regular Cab Styleside SB (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

Bought this little truck just for business. More than satisfied.Tough,primitive,simple,40mpg and cheap to purchase.You tough guys want a truck or a symbol? I will work this thing 100% more than any Ramgarbage.

Quality is still Job #1
By MiniMe1969 on 10/17/09 05:27 AM (PDT)

2009 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr SuperCab 4WD Styleside SB (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

This is my third Ranger, and I was torn between this and the Toyota Tacoma. Bottom line, for $6k less I got a truck that was just as capable. Perfect for hauling dirtbikes and associated gear to the track. My only complaint is the fuel economy. If you are going to buy one of these, make sure you buy the 4 dr supercab.

Great truck for the money
By fx4man on 09/12/09 19:16 PM (PDT)

2009 Ford Ranger FX4 Off-Road 4dr SuperCab 4WD Styleside SB (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

Good truck, with good gas mileage. Small enough to do a daily commute in city traffic, and easy to park in small spaces. Would recommend the FX4, with the payload package. There are a few squeaks and rattles in the cabin over hard bumps, but that can be easily fixed. Runs great in 4x4 mode, especially with 4.10 rear. The only real downside is the Goodyear RT/S tires. They ride good on road, but do not grip well on wet roads, and not too great in the snow. BF Goodrich A/T tires would make the truck feel more capable in rain/snow. The leather seats are very comfortable and supportive over long rides. I highly recommend this truck. It's not as fancy, but it is just as capable for the price.

Great small truck
By gen contractor on 08/27/09 16:47 PM (PDT)

2009 Ford Ranger XL 2dr Regular Cab Styleside LB (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

Bought a used xl longbed,2.3with 5spd. manual. As a 60 yr.old man, 6'tall, 250 lbs., I find this vehicle a solid buy and a solid performer. It's no frills, but peppy, frugal, and very tight. The design may be old but it's sure as hell not dated. A great value.

Ford Ranger = poor quality
By Ford clunker on 08/24/09 19:19 PM (PDT)

2009 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr Regular Cab Styleside SB (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

Truck is built cheaper than my 2000 Ranger. Rattles and sqeaks from day one. Shakes and runs so rough that it causes the body and seat to shake. This goes on while driving at all speeds. Dealership says this is in 'normal' range. Gas mileage is about 19 1/2. Far from the 21-26. Radio poor quality also. Cannot pick up stations that can on 2000 Rangers radio. Very unhappy and sorry to have purchased. Would not advise to buy.

Beyond Expectations
By Rangerpilot on 08/23/09 16:13 PM (PDT)

2009 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr SuperCab Styleside SB (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I bought a 2009 Ranger XLT supercab automatic w/ the 2.3 liter 4 cylinder w/AC power windows, & CD. After reading all the average to poor reviews on the ranger, I only intended this vehicle as a low cost commuter and multi-purpose vehicle. It is actually quite good. Excellent price at less than $15K, acceptable acceleration, terrific fuel economy for a truck at 24 mpg average for 60/40 highway/city, and good build quality which Ford is now known for. I am very impressed. I drive a Mercedes Benz C350 as my other car.

fun lil' truck
By kcirtap on 07/19/09 20:27 PM (PDT)

2009 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr SuperCab Styleside SB (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

1st tank of fuel mpg disappointment 16.5mpg. But doing research learned that as engine loosen with more mileage it would get better and it did, with the 5sp. automatic I'm now averaging 30mpg after putting on 4,500 miles. Got 535miles out of last tank fill. Truck has a tight feel when driven, would be a perfect ten if it did'nt wonder when encountering road bumps. Needed attention by Ford. Otherwise great lil' truck! If you are over 6ft. like myself get the extended cap, trust me.

Wanted another delevery truck.
By Ranger XLT on 07/18/09 17:33 PM (PDT)

2009 Ford Ranger XLT 4dr SuperCab Styleside SB (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

First off it is an automactic, I could not find a choice for auto when filling out the Edmonds form. My last truck was also a RangerXLT, it was a 1996. I still have it, having done courier work in it since it was new, it now has 632,457 miles. all oringal, except routine maintance, tires, etc. The normal wear and tear stuff. The drivers seat has lost most of its cush, but not bad considering the hours sitting in it. Im just amazed how good its been, and still is. Now for the 2009, it seems to be built good and tight, and my reason for getting it, was solely for the reliabilty record these trucks have. Our luxury vehicle is a 2006 Toyota Tacoma Crew Cab. Back to the new 2009, I could'nt have

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2009 Ford Ranger in VA is:

$112 per month*