Used 2009 Ford Ranger Regular Cab Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Ford Ranger - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Ranger model:

Most Helpful|
Ranger's the Truck for me
By Mike

2009 Ford Ranger Regular Cab XLT 2dr Regular Cab Styleside SB (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

This is my 2nd used Ranger. First was a 1997 I bought in 1999. I had few problems, just the usual parts that wear out over time. And most parts lasted longer than mechanics expected. It NEVER left me stranded on the road.I got my 2009 used at a great price with 1300 miles on it. I like the exterior appearance. While the interior dash is the same & dials are hard to read & get at while driving, the seat is more comfortable & the cab seems bigger. 4 cyc. acceleration & mileage are about the same. My 97 never burned a bit of oil & I expect with reg maintenance my 09 will be as dependable.

Favorite Features

Sound system. Ease of handling- maneuverability. Window visibility

Suggested Improvements

Dashboard panel layout needs unobstructed view of gauges. Temp controls need easier sight and accessibility.

Good simple truck,redux
By Kevin

2009 Ford Ranger Regular Cab XL 2dr Regular Cab Styleside SB (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

Still love the little thing after one short year. I had to beef up the rear springs to handle the landscaping equipment I haul around. The am/FM radio seems to have a mind of its own. Moves off the line like an ice flow. Do not buy a ranger unless you want one.

Favorite Features

MPG! I load this thing up!

Suggested Improvements

The manual transmission's rev's drop off very slowly. By design? The cabin could be a touch larger...

best for the money
By don

2009 Ford Ranger Regular Cab XLT 2dr Regular Cab Styleside SB (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

The thing to remember when buying a Ranger is know what you are buying. If you need room for more than two people the extended cab won't get it. Another hit it takes is for styling. I like the looks of the Ranger, especially the more pronounced grille and hood on the 2009. I have 2900 miles on my regular cab XLT, 4 cylinder, and five speed manual. First tank averaged 25.2 and now get a 31.5 highway. Haven't checked town driving, but I imagine it's about 26. Know going in you don't have extra power with the four, but it's sufficient and has that great mileage. This is my second Ranger and I love them. I find them comfortable, reliable, tough, good looking, and inexpensive.

Favorite Features

I like everything about this truck. It's enjoyable to drive, tight body with little wind noise, everything is handy & easy to use, the power equipment group is a real plus. You won't find a better truck for the price.

Suggested Improvements

I'm 6' 1" tall. Long trips can be tiring since the seat won't go back far enough for 'stretching' my legs.

Just what I expected
By don

2009 Ford Ranger Regular Cab XLT 2dr Regular Cab Styleside LB (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

My Ranger is a 4 cyl 5m regular cab xlt. The ride is a bit stiff and the rear end will jump on a wash board road, but the handling is tight and it is fun to drive, I enjoy going places in it. I really commend the 4 banger with 5 m, this engine is so superior to older 4 cyl vehicles I have had, need to get up and go you spin it up but you can also put it in 4th gear at 25 mph in the snow without lugging it. The 5m works very nice. I'm getting about one mpg better then the EPA estimate. It is a two person vehicle, you can just forget about that seat belt in middle, kids small enough to fit there need a car seat to be legal. No problems yet at 7500 miles.

Favorite Features

Compact size, sufficient power-although you may need a little more room for passing on a two lane-good working AC. It sure was nice of Ford to make a towing package standard in 2009. Best price around with a great rebate.

Suggested Improvements

Radio is nothing special, as previously mentioned ride can be stiff. Frankly I had no surprises when I bought it I knew the ride would be stiff and the cab small-but very happy with motor, transmission and fuel economy. Handy little truck!

Too basic
By jj

2009 Ford Ranger Regular Cab XL 2dr Regular Cab Styleside SB (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

For a car that's built recently, I can't say how my Ranger was an improvement over cars of decades past. Yes it was cheap, only reason I got it was because it had the max rebate. Then again cheap price = poor design, cheap quality, cheap workmanship, etc. And worst it came off the lot with several problems which one of which became debatable if it was "under warranty" with the 2 yr/24000 miles contract.

Favorite Features

Hmm. Still thinking. It's a new car.

Suggested Improvements

Better design to keep up with modern living. Better mileage (LOL) Truck feels like a car that was made in the 80s. Dealerships should be more trustworthy (good luck with that too)