2009 Ford Ranger Regular Cab - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Ranger model:
Good simple truck,redux
By Kevin on 07/03/10 15:34 PM (PDT)

2009 Ford Ranger Regular Cab XL 2dr Regular Cab Styleside SB (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

Still love the little thing after one short year. I had to beef up the rear springs to handle the landscaping equipment I haul around. The am/FM radio seems to have a mind of its own. Moves off the line like an ice flow. Do not buy a ranger unless you want one.

Just what I expected
By don on 06/17/10 14:35 PM (PDT)

2009 Ford Ranger Regular Cab XLT 2dr Regular Cab Styleside LB (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

My Ranger is a 4 cyl 5m regular cab xlt. The ride is a bit stiff and the rear end will jump on a wash board road, but the handling is tight and it is fun to drive, I enjoy going places in it. I really commend the 4 banger with 5 m, this engine is so superior to older 4 cyl vehicles I have had, need to get up and go you spin it up but you can also put it in 4th gear at 25 mph in the snow without lugging it. The 5m works very nice. I'm getting about one mpg better then the EPA estimate. It is a two person vehicle, you can just forget about that seat belt in middle, kids small enough to fit there need a car seat to be legal. No problems yet at 7500 miles.

Ranger's the Truck for me
By Mike on 06/02/10 08:32 AM (PDT)

2009 Ford Ranger Regular Cab XLT 2dr Regular Cab Styleside SB (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

This is my 2nd used Ranger. First was a 1997 I bought in 1999. I had few problems, just the usual parts that wear out over time. And most parts lasted longer than mechanics expected. It NEVER left me stranded on the road.I got my 2009 used at a great price with 1300 miles on it. I like the exterior appearance. While the interior dash is the same & dials are hard to read & get at while driving, the seat is more comfortable & the cab seems bigger. 4 cyc. acceleration & mileage are about the same. My 97 never burned a bit of oil & I expect with reg maintenance my 09 will be as dependable.

Too basic
By jj on 04/17/10 11:20 AM (PDT)

2009 Ford Ranger Regular Cab XL 2dr Regular Cab Styleside SB (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

For a car that's built recently, I can't say how my Ranger was an improvement over cars of decades past. Yes it was cheap, only reason I got it was because it had the max rebate. Then again cheap price = poor design, cheap quality, cheap workmanship, etc. And worst it came off the lot with several problems which one of which became debatable if it was "under warranty" with the 2 yr/24000 miles contract.

best for the money
By don on 12/08/09 09:51 AM (PST)

2009 Ford Ranger Regular Cab XLT 2dr Regular Cab Styleside SB (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

The thing to remember when buying a Ranger is know what you are buying. If you need room for more than two people the extended cab won't get it. Another hit it takes is for styling. I like the looks of the Ranger, especially the more pronounced grille and hood on the 2009. I have 2900 miles on my regular cab XLT, 4 cylinder, and five speed manual. First tank averaged 25.2 and now get a 31.5 highway. Haven't checked town driving, but I imagine it's about 26. Know going in you don't have extra power with the four, but it's sufficient and has that great mileage. This is my second Ranger and I love them. I find them comfortable, reliable, tough, good looking, and inexpensive.

Good simple truck
By Kevin Hurren on 10/17/09 16:21 PM (PDT)

2009 Ford Ranger Regular Cab XL 2dr Regular Cab Styleside SB (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

Bought this little truck just for business. More than satisfied.Tough,primitive,simple,40mpg and cheap to purchase.You tough guys want a truck or a symbol? I will work this thing 100% more than any Ramgarbage.

Great small truck
By gen contractor on 08/27/09 16:47 PM (PDT)

2009 Ford Ranger Regular Cab XL 2dr Regular Cab Styleside LB (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

Bought a used xl longbed,2.3with 5spd. manual. As a 60 yr.old man, 6'tall, 250 lbs., I find this vehicle a solid buy and a solid performer. It's no frills, but peppy, frugal, and very tight. The design may be old but it's sure as hell not dated. A great value.

Ford Ranger = poor quality
By Ford clunker on 08/24/09 19:19 PM (PDT)

2009 Ford Ranger Regular Cab XLT 2dr Regular Cab Styleside SB (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

Truck is built cheaper than my 2000 Ranger. Rattles and sqeaks from day one. Shakes and runs so rough that it causes the body and seat to shake. This goes on while driving at all speeds. Dealership says this is in 'normal' range. Gas mileage is about 19 1/2. Far from the 21-26. Radio poor quality also. Cannot pick up stations that can on 2000 Rangers radio. Very unhappy and sorry to have purchased. Would not advise to buy.

Buy American
By Buy american on 07/01/09 15:52 PM (PDT)

2009 Ford Ranger Regular Cab SPORT 2dr Regular Cab SB (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

Cannot understand why reports run this truck down. It is a well made and inexpensive truck to run. You don't buy these trucks for heavy loads. Looked into a Toyato Tacoma and felt it was a rip off. Standard cap in stick shift only which forces the comsumer to buy bigger and about $4000 in price. Have owned 3 Fords since 1980 and have had dependable service.

Proud Ranger Owner Again
By Jay on 05/12/09 19:16 PM (PDT)

2009 Ford Ranger Regular Cab XL 2dr Regular Cab Styleside LB (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I had a '93 Ranger before this one, and been super pleased with it. I haven't had a Ranger for 12 years, it was time to have one again since we brought the house. The newer Ranger has more leg room than my '93 I used to have, and this time, I got the basic XL package, since we have a nice car for our long road trip. Where my old '93 was the XLT (full package), and I was single at the time. I am some disapointed with the louder cab noise than my old '93 XLT, but it's not the end of the world. Over all MPG, I'm pleased with the MPG I gotten on it.. On my first tank, I got 24mpg, I am near the ned of my second tank of gas, and I am around 28mpg as of now.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2009 Ford Ranger Regular-cab in VA is:

$112 per month*