Used 2009 Ford Ranger XLT Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Ford Ranger - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Ranger model:

Ranger's the Truck for me
By Mike

2009 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr Regular Cab Styleside SB (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

This is my 2nd used Ranger. First was a 1997 I bought in 1999. I had few problems, just the usual parts that wear out over time. And most parts lasted longer than mechanics expected. It NEVER left me stranded on the road.I got my 2009 used at a great price with 1300 miles on it. I like the exterior appearance. While the interior dash is the same & dials are hard to read & get at while driving, the seat is more comfortable & the cab seems bigger. 4 cyc. acceleration & mileage are about the same. My 97 never burned a bit of oil & I expect with reg maintenance my 09 will be as dependable.

Favorite Features

Sound system. Ease of handling- maneuverability. Window visibility

Suggested Improvements

Dashboard panel layout needs unobstructed view of gauges. Temp controls need easier sight and accessibility.

best for the money
By don

2009 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr Regular Cab Styleside SB (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

The thing to remember when buying a Ranger is know what you are buying. If you need room for more than two people the extended cab won't get it. Another hit it takes is for styling. I like the looks of the Ranger, especially the more pronounced grille and hood on the 2009. I have 2900 miles on my regular cab XLT, 4 cylinder, and five speed manual. First tank averaged 25.2 and now get a 31.5 highway. Haven't checked town driving, but I imagine it's about 26. Know going in you don't have extra power with the four, but it's sufficient and has that great mileage. This is my second Ranger and I love them. I find them comfortable, reliable, tough, good looking, and inexpensive.

Favorite Features

I like everything about this truck. It's enjoyable to drive, tight body with little wind noise, everything is handy & easy to use, the power equipment group is a real plus. You won't find a better truck for the price.

Suggested Improvements

I'm 6' 1" tall. Long trips can be tiring since the seat won't go back far enough for 'stretching' my legs.

Ford Ranger = poor quality
By Ford clunker

2009 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr Regular Cab Styleside SB (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

Truck is built cheaper than my 2000 Ranger. Rattles and sqeaks from day one. Shakes and runs so rough that it causes the body and seat to shake. This goes on while driving at all speeds. Dealership says this is in 'normal' range. Gas mileage is about 19 1/2. Far from the 21-26. Radio poor quality also. Cannot pick up stations that can on 2000 Rangers radio. Very unhappy and sorry to have purchased. Would not advise to buy.

Favorite Features

single cab and size for a runabout. this truck has great possibilities but is being built with people who do not really care, all the way from management to the on line workers.

Suggested Improvements

Quality control and be careful not to let poor quality running trucks to be sent to dealers to sell to poor customers that are looking for a decent running quality truck and transportation.

Decent
By Steve

2009 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr Regular Cab Styleside SB (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

All around a very decent compact truck. Off road traction is very good, perfect for work around a small farm. Much less road noise then i expected. Gas mileage doesnt seem to add up to EPA, but still very good for a truck. The biggest problem for me is the lack of leg room makes it uncomfortable for long ride.

Favorite Features

Auxiliary input, chrome package makes the truck look very sharp, towing capacity exceeds expectations, Heat/AC works GREAT!

Suggested Improvements

Factory bed lining would be very nice, i've had my truck for two weeks and the bed is already pretty scratched up. Standard speakers could be much better.