Used 2009 Ford Ranger Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Ford Ranger - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Ranger model:

just wow for a small truck ford ranger 4x4 sport automatic
By onthebrook

2009 Ford Ranger XL 2dr SuperCab 4WD Styleside SB (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

well i went to buy a small chevy S10 pickup truck at the time i was looking i passed a local used care dealer .. on the lot was a 2009 ford ranger 4x4 sport so i desided to buy ... i could not be more happy with the truck she pulls a lot of fire wood i put the truck in over cut overs where some people wont even put there 4x4 atvs ... i put a cap on the truck and i must say i have had the truck packed full of green fire wood ... the truck has been in the rough spots and proven to be a work hourse .... i say go for a for ranger if looking for a small truck with big guts ....

Favorite Features

well i like the fact that my 4x4 ranger is heavy duty and has a lot of hauling power

Suggested Improvements

put extra springs on her to handle weight better like i did .. i got 3 extra leaf springs added per side

Off-Road Machine
By jonno11

2009 Ford Ranger FX4 Off-Road 4dr SuperCab 4WD Styleside SB (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

I bought the truck brand new in 2009, in a little over two years of driving I have put 43,000 kilometres on it. Just finished a road trip of 1800 kilometres through the Rocky Mountains, and it performed flawlessly. Only anomaly was the tire pressure sensor going off during extreme altitude changes, though that is a sensor issue that most vehicles have. I have used the vehicles for construction work as well as daily commuting and weekend warrior duty off-road. It has hauled ATV's, trailers, and a 6000lb camper and done s without complaint and with decent mileage. I generally average above EPA mileage, especially now that the truck is broken in. I recommend it as an inexpensive workhorse.

Favorite Features

I love the LSD rear end and the 4.10 gears, and the 5 speed Auto makes good use of the trucks power and torque bands. The fender flares are aggressive, as are the Y-spoke wheels. The sliding rear window allows me to carry long objects without dropping the tailgate. I love the look of the grill and the clear front lights.

Suggested Improvements

I wish the truck came with 4 wheel disc brakes, a lockable tailgate, and more aggressive factory tires. I would also have loved if an electronic locking rear diff was offered, like the Frontier.

Good simple truck,redux
By Kevin

2009 Ford Ranger XL 2dr Regular Cab Styleside SB (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

Still love the little thing after one short year. I had to beef up the rear springs to handle the landscaping equipment I haul around. The am/FM radio seems to have a mind of its own. Moves off the line like an ice flow. Do not buy a ranger unless you want one.

Favorite Features

MPG! I load this thing up!

Suggested Improvements

The manual transmission's rev's drop off very slowly. By design? The cabin could be a touch larger...

Just what I expected
By don

2009 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr Regular Cab Styleside LB (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

My Ranger is a 4 cyl 5m regular cab xlt. The ride is a bit stiff and the rear end will jump on a wash board road, but the handling is tight and it is fun to drive, I enjoy going places in it. I really commend the 4 banger with 5 m, this engine is so superior to older 4 cyl vehicles I have had, need to get up and go you spin it up but you can also put it in 4th gear at 25 mph in the snow without lugging it. The 5m works very nice. I'm getting about one mpg better then the EPA estimate. It is a two person vehicle, you can just forget about that seat belt in middle, kids small enough to fit there need a car seat to be legal. No problems yet at 7500 miles.

Favorite Features

Compact size, sufficient power-although you may need a little more room for passing on a two lane-good working AC. It sure was nice of Ford to make a towing package standard in 2009. Best price around with a great rebate.

Suggested Improvements

Radio is nothing special, as previously mentioned ride can be stiff. Frankly I had no surprises when I bought it I knew the ride would be stiff and the cab small-but very happy with motor, transmission and fuel economy. Handy little truck!

Ranger's the Truck for me
By Mike

2009 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr Regular Cab Styleside SB (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

This is my 2nd used Ranger. First was a 1997 I bought in 1999. I had few problems, just the usual parts that wear out over time. And most parts lasted longer than mechanics expected. It NEVER left me stranded on the road.I got my 2009 used at a great price with 1300 miles on it. I like the exterior appearance. While the interior dash is the same & dials are hard to read & get at while driving, the seat is more comfortable & the cab seems bigger. 4 cyc. acceleration & mileage are about the same. My 97 never burned a bit of oil & I expect with reg maintenance my 09 will be as dependable.

Favorite Features

Sound system. Ease of handling- maneuverability. Window visibility

Suggested Improvements

Dashboard panel layout needs unobstructed view of gauges. Temp controls need easier sight and accessibility.