2009 Ford Ranger - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Ranger model:
just wow for a small truck ford ranger 4x4 sport automatic
By onthebrook on 07/28/13 12:40 PM (PDT)

2009 Ford Ranger XL 2dr SuperCab 4WD Styleside SB (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

well i went to buy a small chevy S10 pickup truck at the time i was looking i passed a local used care dealer .. on the lot was a 2009 ford ranger 4x4 sport so i desided to buy ... i could not be more happy with the truck she pulls a lot of fire wood i put the truck in over cut overs where some people wont even put there 4x4 atvs ... i put a cap on the truck and i must say i have had the truck packed full of green fire wood ... the truck has been in the rough spots and proven to be a work hourse .... i say go for a for ranger if looking for a small truck with big guts ....

Off-Road Machine
By jonno11 on 06/27/11 19:44 PM (PDT)

2009 Ford Ranger FX4 Off-Road 4dr SuperCab 4WD Styleside SB (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

I bought the truck brand new in 2009, in a little over two years of driving I have put 43,000 kilometres on it. Just finished a road trip of 1800 kilometres through the Rocky Mountains, and it performed flawlessly. Only anomaly was the tire pressure sensor going off during extreme altitude changes, though that is a sensor issue that most vehicles have. I have used the vehicles for construction work as well as daily commuting and weekend warrior duty off-road. It has hauled ATV's, trailers, and a 6000lb camper and done s without complaint and with decent mileage. I generally average above EPA mileage, especially now that the truck is broken in. I recommend it as an inexpensive workhorse.

Good simple truck,redux
By Kevin on 07/03/10 15:34 PM (PDT)

2009 Ford Ranger XL 2dr Regular Cab Styleside SB (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

Still love the little thing after one short year. I had to beef up the rear springs to handle the landscaping equipment I haul around. The am/FM radio seems to have a mind of its own. Moves off the line like an ice flow. Do not buy a ranger unless you want one.

Just what I expected
By don on 06/17/10 14:35 PM (PDT)

2009 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr Regular Cab Styleside LB (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

My Ranger is a 4 cyl 5m regular cab xlt. The ride is a bit stiff and the rear end will jump on a wash board road, but the handling is tight and it is fun to drive, I enjoy going places in it. I really commend the 4 banger with 5 m, this engine is so superior to older 4 cyl vehicles I have had, need to get up and go you spin it up but you can also put it in 4th gear at 25 mph in the snow without lugging it. The 5m works very nice. I'm getting about one mpg better then the EPA estimate. It is a two person vehicle, you can just forget about that seat belt in middle, kids small enough to fit there need a car seat to be legal. No problems yet at 7500 miles.

Ranger's the Truck for me
By Mike on 06/02/10 08:32 AM (PDT)

2009 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr Regular Cab Styleside SB (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

This is my 2nd used Ranger. First was a 1997 I bought in 1999. I had few problems, just the usual parts that wear out over time. And most parts lasted longer than mechanics expected. It NEVER left me stranded on the road.I got my 2009 used at a great price with 1300 miles on it. I like the exterior appearance. While the interior dash is the same & dials are hard to read & get at while driving, the seat is more comfortable & the cab seems bigger. 4 cyc. acceleration & mileage are about the same. My 97 never burned a bit of oil & I expect with reg maintenance my 09 will be as dependable.

Love it
By GREAT TRUCK on 05/30/10 06:37 AM (PDT)

2009 Ford Ranger SPORT 2dr SuperCab Styleside SB (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

I have had no problems with this truck at all and I have 26,000 miles on it now, runs great and ride great! I owned a s-10 with a 4.3 v6 and it was not half the truck as the ranger. This rides and feels like a bigger truck!

Too basic
By jj on 04/17/10 11:20 AM (PDT)

2009 Ford Ranger XL 2dr Regular Cab Styleside SB (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

For a car that's built recently, I can't say how my Ranger was an improvement over cars of decades past. Yes it was cheap, only reason I got it was because it had the max rebate. Then again cheap price = poor design, cheap quality, cheap workmanship, etc. And worst it came off the lot with several problems which one of which became debatable if it was "under warranty" with the 2 yr/24000 miles contract.

Disappointed
By Disappointed on 03/10/10 10:09 AM (PST)

2009 Ford Ranger XL 2dr SuperCab Styleside SB (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

Looks good and drives good. After 6,000 miles developed any annoying rattle in the passenger side of the dash and the dealer could not find the source. Worst part was that after 5-6 months the vehicle started rusting. A couple of spots on the body, through the paint and also some painted spots under the bed and finally inside the wheels. I do live at the beach, but my 1996 Jeep Cherokee, which was 8 years old when I moved there, took 3 to 4 years to start rusting and my girlfriend lived in the Keys for 20 years and never had issues with her 3 Hondas. This is ridiculous, especially since Ford claims that their quality is even with Honda and Toyota. Warranty doesn't cover this, of course.

Ford Rattles
By bsalsman on 01/22/10 13:23 PM (PST)

2009 Ford Ranger FX4 Off-Road 4dr SuperCab 4WD Styleside SB (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

this is my 6th ford ranger and although it is i fun little truck it rattles like crazy around the drivers door.After 25 trips to tyhe dealer the warranty is off and now they wont even return my calls. its a shame that Ford cannot control after sales service. This will probably be my last Ford because of this issue.

Good Looking, Fun to drive
By Aaron on 01/20/10 12:05 PM (PST)

2009 Ford Ranger FX4 Off-Road 4dr SuperCab 4WD Styleside SB (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

Can't go wrong with the ranger, especially in the FX4 version. The styling is nice for a truck of its price range, power is quite decent and the upgrades I've got add quite a bit (chrome step bars, tailpipe and mirrors). All around good vehicle, easy to maneuver in the city.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2009 Ford Ranger in VA is:

$112 per month*