2008 Ford Ranger Consumer Review: After the new car glow

2008 Ford Ranger - Consumer Review

FX4 Off-Road SuperCab (4.0L V6 4x4 5-speed Manual 6.1 ft. Bed)

After the new car glow
By JR on

2008 Ford Ranger FX4 Off-Road 4dr SuperCab 4WD Styleside SB (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

Wonderful to drive when the weather turns ugly, only thing that gives me trouble is sheer ice, with factory tires. With no load it rides rough, with @150 - 250 lbs of cargo it is a much improved ride. At a hair over 6' I have room to move the seat back to give myself more leg to peddle room, but I do not need it. Everything else is too cramped. If I have a passenger we are riding shoulder to shoulder. As a short commuter or weekend play vehicle it is wonderful. SADLY, as a full time ride for me, @350KM/220Mi/week, it is not a good choice. I choose to support Ford. I should have bought a Toyota to get the same qualities but with better comforts at a higher cost.

200+ HP gives a lot of pep, especially with a 5 SPD manual. BRIGHT lights, with no apparent dead zone.

Give the Ranger an F series profile, not a bricks. Increase cabin width @30CM, height @10CM, rear seat area by @30CM with front facing seats. FLEX fuel, remote start, etc as available options, same as the F series. Ranger owners want/need a little smaller vehicle, not one with no options.