Used 2008 Ford Ranger Consumer Reviews - 44 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Ford Ranger - Consumer Reviews

2008 Ford Ranger

View reviews for a specific Ranger model:

Old Dog, New Tricks
By brettsgirl

2008 Ford Ranger FX4 Off-Road 4dr SuperCab 4WD Styleside SB (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

There seems to be a lot of poor reviews out there for this aging little truck. My questions may be: What is the best selling compact pickup ever? What is the most "bang for the buck" that you can get out of a compact pickup? Believe me when I say that Ford Motor company is not without its reasons for keeping this little truck around. Money, and lots of it! I love my brawny little workhorse! After driving some of the competitor's overpirced products, I found myself with Ford again. People complain about the ride: well, it is actually a truck, not a thimbly little car, with a box, and cab! I can go places with my untouched Ranger that most big trucks wouldn't dare!

Diverse range of options. Actually looks like a truck. Loads of power, and my FX4 is a true off-roader!

Kind of plasticy, outated dash components.

OK, but I got a Lemon
By Zolar1

2008 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr Regular Cab Styleside SB (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I barely get 14-15MPG in the city in the wintertime. Summertime, I can scrape the 18MPG if the A/C isn't on. I have never got anything above 20.5 MPG. I drive with a very very light foot. If I can get 24MPG out of a 4.3L 6cyl GMC pickup, I should be able to do the same with this truck. Vehicle keeps getting leaves in the ductwork, Seriously lacks power, and the A/C is on when you use any setting other than off or vent. Dealer claims it was designed that way. Vehicle still missing a flap in the driver's side fender well. Dealer says it's not supposed to have one. Vehicle has peeling painted masking tape on support in front of the radiator.

Seats are comfortable, but interior lacks space for storage. Antilock brakes, but never had to use them. KREX supplemental warranty on the engine with free roadside assistance.

Get rid of the space taking seat computers. Use an A/C switch so you can manually turn the A/C compressor on-off as you desire, regardless of other switch settings. Better full vehicle warranty - 3/36 is too low. Rangers get the same MPG now as they did 20 years ago. Include a LINE-X bed liner.

Keeps on truckin'
By woods860

2008 Ford Ranger FX4 Off-Road 4dr SuperCab 4WD Styleside SB (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

Great off road. The fx4 upgrade is a good platform to build an off road weekend warroir like mine is. Fits 33x12.5x15 with little rubbing the 3" lift help with tht. Found tht back jump seats pretty much useless unless your verticaly challenged. The 4.10 gears are tourqie and helps me pulls damn near anything. 4.0l motor has tons of power. Chiped mine tho little better fuel mileage that way plus the extra hp didn't hurt. Although my F-150 is better on fuel. Very solid feeling truck. Well built. Upgraded fx4 interior is sharp and functional. Light aregood and bright. Easy to drive and hardly any blind spots. Built Ford tough!

4.10 gears, super low gear reduction in 4 low. All the torque you'll ever need in a 1/4 ton. Rancho suspenion to start with. Easy to drive and the confident feel you get from a full size truck

Get rid of the front torsion bar suspension. Me and every other off roader hate them. Coil is the way to go. Air box is a bit low. Factory skid plates are useless. Make the BFG all terrains stock again

An Honest Truck
By JWH

2008 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr Regular Cab Styleside SB (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I traded a two-year old Silverado V6 for my Ranger. The Silverado got 13- 15 mpg and had way too many problems. My little Ranger got 26.3 mpg from the first tank. It just passed the 1500 mile mark, and has yet to get under 25 mpg. It is comfortable, it pulls my utility/motorcycle trailer with ease. It's fun to drive and overall it seems like a good friendly little vehicle that I will have for a long time. Its quality is first rate. Its performance with the little 4 cyl is way better than the Silverado V6. The seats are great, the stereo/sat radio combination is wonderful, and the cruise control works flawlessly. We had a couple of Rangers at work - couldn't hurt them. Great truck.

Quality, seats, radio, cruise control, and solid feel.

I wish I had gotten power windows and power door locks. I'd like better climate control features (dual zone). I wish the headlights had an auto on feature.

2008 Ranger Supercab 4.0/Auto
By Sptfir

2008 Ford Ranger XLT 4dr SuperCab 4WD Styleside SB (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

My third Ranger so I'm obviously comfortable with them. No problems with this newest. It seems just a little lighter built than my 02 for some reason. Air noise around windows that the dealer couldn't seem to fix. Fuel consuption for the 4.0/auto has been a steady 21 mpg in urban driving. No complaints, just comments. People compliment the Vista Blue color

A/C does and excellent job here in FL. I have back trouble, and the upright seating makes this the most conforable car for me to drive that I own.

I wish XM radio was also available in addition to Sirius, but the add-on unit isn't bad and it works well. Handling is solid but rear axle needs stabilizer bars to make it much better.