Used 2008 Ford Ranger Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Ford Ranger - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Ranger model:

Keeps on truckin'
By woods860

2008 Ford Ranger FX4 Off-Road 4dr SuperCab 4WD Styleside SB (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

Great off road. The fx4 upgrade is a good platform to build an off road weekend warroir like mine is. Fits 33x12.5x15 with little rubbing the 3" lift help with tht. Found tht back jump seats pretty much useless unless your verticaly challenged. The 4.10 gears are tourqie and helps me pulls damn near anything. 4.0l motor has tons of power. Chiped mine tho little better fuel mileage that way plus the extra hp didn't hurt. Although my F-150 is better on fuel. Very solid feeling truck. Well built. Upgraded fx4 interior is sharp and functional. Light aregood and bright. Easy to drive and hardly any blind spots. Built Ford tough!

4.10 gears, super low gear reduction in 4 low. All the torque you'll ever need in a 1/4 ton. Rancho suspenion to start with. Easy to drive and the confident feel you get from a full size truck

Get rid of the front torsion bar suspension. Me and every other off roader hate them. Coil is the way to go. Air box is a bit low. Factory skid plates are useless. Make the BFG all terrains stock again

An Honest Truck
By JWH

2008 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr Regular Cab Styleside SB (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I traded a two-year old Silverado V6 for my Ranger. The Silverado got 13- 15 mpg and had way too many problems. My little Ranger got 26.3 mpg from the first tank. It just passed the 1500 mile mark, and has yet to get under 25 mpg. It is comfortable, it pulls my utility/motorcycle trailer with ease. It's fun to drive and overall it seems like a good friendly little vehicle that I will have for a long time. Its quality is first rate. Its performance with the little 4 cyl is way better than the Silverado V6. The seats are great, the stereo/sat radio combination is wonderful, and the cruise control works flawlessly. We had a couple of Rangers at work - couldn't hurt them. Great truck.

Quality, seats, radio, cruise control, and solid feel.

I wish I had gotten power windows and power door locks. I'd like better climate control features (dual zone). I wish the headlights had an auto on feature.

2008 Ranger Supercab 4.0/Auto
By Sptfir

2008 Ford Ranger XLT 4dr SuperCab 4WD Styleside SB (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

My third Ranger so I'm obviously comfortable with them. No problems with this newest. It seems just a little lighter built than my 02 for some reason. Air noise around windows that the dealer couldn't seem to fix. Fuel consuption for the 4.0/auto has been a steady 21 mpg in urban driving. No complaints, just comments. People compliment the Vista Blue color

A/C does and excellent job here in FL. I have back trouble, and the upright seating makes this the most conforable car for me to drive that I own.

I wish XM radio was also available in addition to Sirius, but the add-on unit isn't bad and it works well. Handling is solid but rear axle needs stabilizer bars to make it much better.

They need to see their competition
By ROLM

2008 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr SuperCab Styleside SB (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I was an engineer at Chrysler. My father at GM. I drive for a living. Quality: First USA car with no manufacturing defects. Looks great. Handles Highway: the worst I have ever driven. Printed dangerous handling warning on visor. Best mileage: small 6 with the gas efficient rear end. Best handling: same. Interior: They fired their engineers 30 years ago. I could write pages on their lack of cab engineering. Everything is in the wrong place, works the wrong way, is the wrong size, whatever. E.G. try changing a fuse if you are not an anorexic 8-year old (need flashlight). Try getting groceries out of the back seat. No fan switch off. Center knob: Off(1),vent(1),AC(6).

Nice paint.

Bigger door storage, glove box. Add other storage. Increase side mirror range. Redo AC controls. Attached dome light switch. Extend center console. Move 12v plugs to center console. Make fuse panel accessible. Give layout. Reverse buttons on key fob to match door. Extend seat tracks forward

Still the best little trucks made!
By Gordo16

2008 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr SuperCab Styleside SB (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I have had my latest Ranger for 11 months, now. Averages about 31 MPG on highway trips even going through all of the traffic-jams on I-95 through CT, NY and NJ. My last Ranger was a 1993, which I gave to my son and he is still using it to haul heating-wood. The other brands are more luxurious, but if you need a tough little truck ( not a car with a box stuck on the back) Ford still builds the best. It's probably why the Ranger Plant is staying open, a while longer. Good luck finding another pickup that actually gets over 30 MPG.

Looks like an American-made truck. Very smooth 5-speed with 4:10 rear end.

Tip-up passenger seat. Spark-o-matic makes a tip-up mounting bracket for racing seats that you can install.