2008 Ford Ranger - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Ranger model:
The Last of a Breed
By Jim J on 05/05/08 19:29 PM (PDT)

2008 Ford Ranger FX4 Off-Road 4dr SuperCab 4WD Styleside SB (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

Being the last year of the Ranger I`m glad I ordered one when I did. I`ve been extremely pleased with this vehicle. It works exceptionally well in off-road conditions even with the factory street tires and gets me about 20 MPG on a trip. Regular gas is still the cheapest and it works well to deliver all the power I need.

Ranger Birthday
By Thomas Kenny on 04/14/08 21:18 PM (PDT)

2008 Ford Ranger XL 2dr SuperCab Styleside SB (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

Bought myself a new 08 Ranger for my birthday. It is the XL Supercab with the 2.3l I4 engine with 5 speed automatic overdrive transmission. I love the torch red color, and I did get A/C, tilt/cruise, stereo with CD player that is MP3 friendly, buddy seats, privacy glass and sliding rear window. I am looking for some good gas mileage and am told that I can get between 24 and 29 mpg on the road after the engine loosens up in 2-3 thousand miles. I love to drive it, it is very quiet, handles predictably with good road feel and steering. This is probably the last year of the Ranger so this truck should keep the Ranger memory alive for many years.

Good Buy!
By 3ABirdMan on 03/27/08 14:34 PM (PDT)

2008 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr SuperCab Styleside SB (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I traded in a '03 F150 FX4 SuperCrew Lariat (14.4 MPG). I didn't need 4 doors anymore, and needed better fuel economy. I looked at the Chevy/GMC and Toyota before deciding on the Ranger. I am very satisfied. At 6'3" & 255 lbs, I couldn't fit in the Chevy/GM due to lack of leg/knee room (I have no problem in the Ranger because of dash and console design!) and the Tacoma was too much money. I love the "feel" of the seat - it is firm and comfortable, with a good ride. The 2.3L 4-cyl engine is great for economy, but lacks power IF you have to haul alot of cargo or pull a small trailer with the A/C on! Empty, acceleration and power are fine. I really like the Ranger, despite the small size!

08 New Ranger
By bill on 02/27/08 19:41 PM (PST)

2008 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr SuperCab 4WD Styleside SB (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

I bought a 08 XLT supercab 4x4, with all of the goodies in and out. It is nice in regards to the ride (have owned othere 4x4s, beats all. Gas mileage is ok, stereo is great. 4x4 smooth. Just an all around nice ride.

Best small truck on the road
By Richard on 02/24/08 13:02 PM (PST)

2008 Ford Ranger SPORT 2dr SuperCab Styleside SB (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I decided on a small truck for ease of parking and economy. To me the Ranger provided the best value by far and the ride was as good as any of the other small trucks. The fit and finish on the new 2008 was equal to and better then the others. I think it is the best looking small truck on the road, and my friends agree. The only downside is the 3.0 motor is not up to competers v6's and the gas mileage is below par

Transmission woes & more
By Disappointed on 02/18/08 11:33 AM (PST)

2008 Ford Ranger XLT 4dr SuperCab Styleside SB (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

Since delivery the transmission has not functioned properly. It's been to the dealer 4 times in 3500 miles. Upon delivery shift from "R" to "D" and it might take 3 seconds to engage. When it did finally engage it slammed so hard that I thought something might break. Same would happen at a stop light. Dealer's made progress. The big bang's gone, but it still disengages when decelerating at slow speeds so then when you accelerate it bumps back into gear. Rear passenger supercab door is bent and that's why it doesn't close properly. It's again back to the dealer to see if they can fix the tranny and the door. This is my 7th Ford vehicle and the first with any problems. Yuck!

E-Z on the wallet
By Jim on 02/16/08 18:29 PM (PST)

2008 Ford Ranger XL 2dr Regular Cab Styleside SB (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

Just got it, sold my gas hog Dodge Ram 2500. Tired of putting 100$ in gas, so bought the little Ranger where can you spend under 12,000 on a new truck and still have fun in a 2008 model. Keep up the good work Ford...if it ain't broke don't fix it.

Second one in four years
By Dave on 01/20/08 09:38 AM (PST)

2008 Ford Ranger SPORT 4dr SuperCab Styleside SB (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I traded in a 2004 Tremor 2 door Supercab for this 2008 Sport 4 door Supercab because getting to the storage behind the seats was such a pain. The 4 door is the way to go! I also wanted the 4.0 V6 engine this time. The 3.0 in the older truck just didn't have any guts for passing on the highway. The reliability is great, not one trip to the dealer in 60,000 miles w/the first one.

I've owned three in 15 years.
By john on 01/06/08 10:05 AM (PST)

2008 Ford Ranger SPORT 4dr SuperCab 4WD Styleside SB (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

The 4.0 V6 is impressive. Lots of power but they could have improved the fuel economy. I'd rate the pickup of this truck equal to any small V8. I get about 20 mpg highway. I expect a slight increase when the truck bed cover is installed and I do something about the air intake system ( K&N). This pickup replaced a 05 f150, Interior room took a little getting used to but still its not bad. Mine is the Sport version with a 5 speed. It pulls my 18 foot boat without even struggling.

Lots for the Money
By Average Joe on 12/09/07 20:05 PM (PST)

2008 Ford Ranger XL 2dr Regular Cab Styleside SB (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

After puting the last 20K, of 107K, on a 1997 model, I bought the 2008. Not much change, but "if it aint broke don't fix it!" These little trucks will give you much economical utility and reliabilty. When you are not "trucking" it is decently comfortable transportation for two.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.