2008 Ford Ranger - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Ranger model:
2008 Ranger Review
By The Wanderer on 10/10/08 15:31 PM (PDT)

2008 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr SuperCab Styleside SB (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I have the 3.0 liter motor and it's getting 20mpg in town and 25mpg plus on long trips. It's not as strong of the line as my older 4.0 liter was, but the 3.0 is no slouch. The ride is much improved over my older Ranger ( late 90's). The Sirius radio is a must for those long commutes to work. The seats are very comfortable and in general, the truck seems built very well. The 5 speed automatic shifts very easily. This is my third Ranger ( all 99,000 miles + on each) and I hope Ford continues this line in some form as it is a winner

Great Value
By Salem Boy on 09/29/08 11:16 AM (PDT)

2008 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr Regular Cab Styleside SB (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

Just bought a new 08 Ranger XLT Reg. Cab with 4cyl automatic. With the current $3000 rebate, nothing else could come close to the price. Even with GM's employee pricing, a similar equiped Colorado was $1500 more. The chome trim on the XLT and the chrome wheels that my Ranger has make it a sharp looking truck. I couldn't find a used truck that didn't have a ton of miles for much less than I paid for this truck new. With the great gas milage 19 / 24 this truck should do everything I need it to do, which is drive back and forth to work and to haul the occational home project supplies.

Great MPG with lots of Utility
By Rockdoggy on 09/21/08 07:27 AM (PDT)

2008 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr SuperCab Styleside SB (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

Got this little truck last week and it handles great. Nice shifting 5 speed manual, great gas mileage and lots of utility. If you need a reliable truck for everyday hauling and the occasional large item haul this fits the bill perfectly. Solidly built 2.3 liter engine has plenty of power. Sits up high where you can see clearly. The design is dated but still looks great. Ford decided to stop the 3.0 next year. Should have retooled the 3.0 like they put in other vehicles. I think Ford's marketing team needs their heads examined. Instead of tying to sell options, sell trucks with options people want without all the extras people don't want. Can you say plastic wheel covers for $190 or Sirius!

I like it very much
By Travis on 09/07/08 22:12 PM (PDT)

2008 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr SuperCab Styleside SB (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

Just bought this truck, Red Supercab automatic 2.3L I4 Engine. Traded a Jeep Wrangler 6 speed manual. Have wanted a Ranger for years, finally decide to get one. Only 200 miles so far but I'm pleased with it. Got it for basic commute to work, to get good gas mileage, have more capacity than the jeep to do stuff. Access to supercab area is only gripe I have. Some here critical of ride, this is much better than the Jeep! When I test road I was surprised how smooth it was. For what it is, this is an excellent truck. Ford should keep making it as long as it sells well, it doesn't need "fancy" upgrades when most folks are looking for a good basic truck. I found mine!

Fun to Drive
By NV travlr on 08/23/08 16:37 PM (PDT)

2008 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr SuperCab 4WD Styleside SB (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

Fit, finish, and paint are great. Engine powerful, auto transmission flawless. Quiet ride (I had mine undercoated). Pulls pop-up trailer (2500 lbs)without effort. No rattles, wind noises, or other problems. Had Nissans in the past, but I love this Ranger.

Where are the automatics?
By Zolar1 on 08/16/08 18:47 PM (PDT)

2008 Ford Ranger XL 2dr Regular Cab Styleside SB (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

Mine is not listed. 2.2l 4 cyl, automatic w/air I strongly suspect that the vehicle was seriously wrecked before purchase. Clicking noise in the steering, rubbing noise in the front, bad mpg, painted masking tape behind the front grille, hood not aligned on ds with fender, missing rubber flap inside ds fender, erratic rough shifting, squeaking rear brakes, front of bed too flimsy to strap an appliance on it (you can push it in with your hand), near deaf service writers/mechanics cannot hear noises, 17 gal gas tank (should have been a 20gal), other problems.

Ford Ranger 2008 Supercab 4x2 I4 Auto
By Eric on 07/22/08 08:52 AM (PDT)

2008 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr SuperCab Styleside SB (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I have driven 2186 miles and have averaged 20.48 miles per gallon with the AC on all the time in Florida. It's a fun truck to drive. The interior is well designed but, the back cab area is hard to use. If one side of the rear cab area opened the interior of this truck would be perfect. The truck has average power. I don't feel like other drivers are pushing me from red lights and stop signs. I am an average driver, not very agressive and not very slow. The cloth seats and carpet are nice. The steering wheel is positioned very well for long drives. Overall I am very happy with this truck and I am sure that I will keep this truck for a long time.

Rangers lead the way
By easyv on 07/20/08 09:20 AM (PDT)

2008 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr Regular Cab Styleside LB (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

My third Ford Ranger, a 2008 XLT, upholds the proud tradition of its ancestors. Great mileage 28 MPG. Unbelievably affordable. Unmatched reliability single key turn start in sub zero weather, and I don't have the engine block warmer. Safe in a collision. Low maintenance. Great resale value-try to buy a used Ranger, you might as well just spend the extra $1000-2000 and get a new one. If you need an affordable, low-maintenance, reliable commuter vehicle, the Ranger is it

Best small truck on the road
By srhudgens on 07/02/08 13:16 PM (PDT)

2008 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr SuperCab Styleside SB (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I bought a new Ranger this year, spurred on by the crazy rebates Ford offered on this truck earlier in the year. Replaced a 1995 Ranger XLT with over 220,000 trouble-free miles. These are the best small trucks on the road. Funny thing, I drove off the lot paying just $9,800 for a loaded 2008 Ranger XLT. The dealership gave me $2,000 for my 1995 Ranger. What wonderful trucks these are. Ford is making a huge mistake discontinuing the line. Leave it to an American auto company to discontinue the most fuel-efficient line of trucks in production just as gas prices set new records...

Great Value
By Felix on 06/12/08 19:36 PM (PDT)

2008 Ford Ranger XL 2dr SuperCab Styleside SB (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I was planning to buy a Tacoma but after driving both vehicles and with the rebates and sales incentives from Ford, I got the Ranger and I don't regret it. I got it with the automatic, cruise control, & a sliding rear window. After 2000 miles I am getting 27 mpg on the highway with two passengers and camping gear & I expect the mpg to improve when I put a lid on the bed and as I put more mileage. I like the ride but it rides like a truck. The performance is good but it takes patience driving up mountains. It runs well to excellent on most roads & highways. I get the best mileage when I tach between 2000-3000. I added a Sony FM/AM mp3 CD player with an aux i-pod input & the music sound great

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.