Used 2008 Ford Ranger Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Ford Ranger - Consumer Reviews

2008 Ford Ranger

View reviews for a specific Ranger model:

Great American Value!
By Gary

2008 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr Regular Cab Styleside SB (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I recently purchased this truck almost a month ago for an excellent low price! The 4 cyl exceeded my expectations! The truck has plenty of power, handles great, road noise is lower than I expected and interior and exterior is sharp looking. Gas mileage is great! I wish the speakers sounder better, but hey, it's a truck! It also feels great to buy American!

Favorite Features

Gas mileage, great handling, engine power, interior/exterior looks great

Suggested Improvements

Better stereo speakers

Probably the best I have ever owned!!!!!
By RogerFarmer

2008 Ford Ranger SPORT 2dr SuperCab 4WD Styleside SB (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

I purchased the truck with 3,000 miles on it. I have put 1,000 miles on it. It has the 4.0. That is the fastest 207 horsepower that I have seen! I own 2 other Fords that are still going strong. The gas mileage could be better, but that is nothing. It is probably the best truck that I have owned. I love it, and would highly recomend it. The price was a songcompared to the other truck on the market!!!

Favorite Features

style, build quality, excellent price for the quality, made in America!

Suggested Improvements

gas mileage

2 in the family
By Scott

2008 Ford Ranger XL 2dr Regular Cab Styleside SB (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

My son bought a Ranger in 2001, has 150000 on it without 1 problem, so I bought one last fall, think these vehicles are Fords best kept secret. My son has 3.0, I bought the 2.3, my gas mileage is a great.Years ago I had a 98 Nissan Frontier 2.4, the Ranger is twice the truck.

Favorite Features

Looks, solid build, reliability.

Suggested Improvements

For the price, can,t think of anything.

Old Dog, New Tricks
By brettsgirl

2008 Ford Ranger FX4 Off-Road 4dr SuperCab 4WD Styleside SB (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

There seems to be a lot of poor reviews out there for this aging little truck. My questions may be: What is the best selling compact pickup ever? What is the most "bang for the buck" that you can get out of a compact pickup? Believe me when I say that Ford Motor company is not without its reasons for keeping this little truck around. Money, and lots of it! I love my brawny little workhorse! After driving some of the competitor's overpirced products, I found myself with Ford again. People complain about the ride: well, it is actually a truck, not a thimbly little car, with a box, and cab! I can go places with my untouched Ranger that most big trucks wouldn't dare!

Favorite Features

Diverse range of options. Actually looks like a truck. Loads of power, and my FX4 is a true off-roader!

Suggested Improvements

Kind of plasticy, outated dash components.

OK, but I got a Lemon
By Zolar1

2008 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr Regular Cab Styleside SB (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I barely get 14-15MPG in the city in the wintertime. Summertime, I can scrape the 18MPG if the A/C isn't on. I have never got anything above 20.5 MPG. I drive with a very very light foot. If I can get 24MPG out of a 4.3L 6cyl GMC pickup, I should be able to do the same with this truck. Vehicle keeps getting leaves in the ductwork, Seriously lacks power, and the A/C is on when you use any setting other than off or vent. Dealer claims it was designed that way. Vehicle still missing a flap in the driver's side fender well. Dealer says it's not supposed to have one. Vehicle has peeling painted masking tape on support in front of the radiator.

Favorite Features

Seats are comfortable, but interior lacks space for storage. Antilock brakes, but never had to use them. KREX supplemental warranty on the engine with free roadside assistance.

Suggested Improvements

Get rid of the space taking seat computers. Use an A/C switch so you can manually turn the A/C compressor on-off as you desire, regardless of other switch settings. Better full vehicle warranty - 3/36 is too low. Rangers get the same MPG now as they did 20 years ago. Include a LINE-X bed liner.