2008 Ford Ranger SuperCab - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Ranger model:
2008 Ranger Review
By The Wanderer on 10/10/08 15:31 PM (PDT)

2008 Ford Ranger SuperCab XLT 2dr SuperCab Styleside SB (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I have the 3.0 liter motor and it's getting 20mpg in town and 25mpg plus on long trips. It's not as strong of the line as my older 4.0 liter was, but the 3.0 is no slouch. The ride is much improved over my older Ranger ( late 90's). The Sirius radio is a must for those long commutes to work. The seats are very comfortable and in general, the truck seems built very well. The 5 speed automatic shifts very easily. This is my third Ranger ( all 99,000 miles + on each) and I hope Ford continues this line in some form as it is a winner

Great MPG with lots of Utility
By Rockdoggy on 09/21/08 07:27 AM (PDT)

2008 Ford Ranger SuperCab XLT 2dr SuperCab Styleside SB (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

Got this little truck last week and it handles great. Nice shifting 5 speed manual, great gas mileage and lots of utility. If you need a reliable truck for everyday hauling and the occasional large item haul this fits the bill perfectly. Solidly built 2.3 liter engine has plenty of power. Sits up high where you can see clearly. The design is dated but still looks great. Ford decided to stop the 3.0 next year. Should have retooled the 3.0 like they put in other vehicles. I think Ford's marketing team needs their heads examined. Instead of tying to sell options, sell trucks with options people want without all the extras people don't want. Can you say plastic wheel covers for $190 or Sirius!

I like it very much
By Travis on 09/07/08 22:12 PM (PDT)

2008 Ford Ranger SuperCab XLT 2dr SuperCab Styleside SB (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

Just bought this truck, Red Supercab automatic 2.3L I4 Engine. Traded a Jeep Wrangler 6 speed manual. Have wanted a Ranger for years, finally decide to get one. Only 200 miles so far but I'm pleased with it. Got it for basic commute to work, to get good gas mileage, have more capacity than the jeep to do stuff. Access to supercab area is only gripe I have. Some here critical of ride, this is much better than the Jeep! When I test road I was surprised how smooth it was. For what it is, this is an excellent truck. Ford should keep making it as long as it sells well, it doesn't need "fancy" upgrades when most folks are looking for a good basic truck. I found mine!

Fun to Drive
By NV travlr on 08/23/08 16:37 PM (PDT)

2008 Ford Ranger SuperCab XLT 2dr SuperCab 4WD Styleside SB (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

Fit, finish, and paint are great. Engine powerful, auto transmission flawless. Quiet ride (I had mine undercoated). Pulls pop-up trailer (2500 lbs)without effort. No rattles, wind noises, or other problems. Had Nissans in the past, but I love this Ranger.

Ford Ranger 2008 Supercab 4x2 I4 Auto
By Eric on 07/22/08 08:52 AM (PDT)

2008 Ford Ranger SuperCab XLT 2dr SuperCab Styleside SB (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I have driven 2186 miles and have averaged 20.48 miles per gallon with the AC on all the time in Florida. It's a fun truck to drive. The interior is well designed but, the back cab area is hard to use. If one side of the rear cab area opened the interior of this truck would be perfect. The truck has average power. I don't feel like other drivers are pushing me from red lights and stop signs. I am an average driver, not very agressive and not very slow. The cloth seats and carpet are nice. The steering wheel is positioned very well for long drives. Overall I am very happy with this truck and I am sure that I will keep this truck for a long time.

Best small truck on the road
By srhudgens on 07/02/08 13:16 PM (PDT)

2008 Ford Ranger SuperCab XLT 2dr SuperCab Styleside SB (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I bought a new Ranger this year, spurred on by the crazy rebates Ford offered on this truck earlier in the year. Replaced a 1995 Ranger XLT with over 220,000 trouble-free miles. These are the best small trucks on the road. Funny thing, I drove off the lot paying just $9,800 for a loaded 2008 Ranger XLT. The dealership gave me $2,000 for my 1995 Ranger. What wonderful trucks these are. Ford is making a huge mistake discontinuing the line. Leave it to an American auto company to discontinue the most fuel-efficient line of trucks in production just as gas prices set new records...

Great Value
By Felix on 06/12/08 19:36 PM (PDT)

2008 Ford Ranger SuperCab XL 2dr SuperCab Styleside SB (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I was planning to buy a Tacoma but after driving both vehicles and with the rebates and sales incentives from Ford, I got the Ranger and I don't regret it. I got it with the automatic, cruise control, & a sliding rear window. After 2000 miles I am getting 27 mpg on the highway with two passengers and camping gear & I expect the mpg to improve when I put a lid on the bed and as I put more mileage. I like the ride but it rides like a truck. The performance is good but it takes patience driving up mountains. It runs well to excellent on most roads & highways. I get the best mileage when I tach between 2000-3000. I added a Sony FM/AM mp3 CD player with an aux i-pod input & the music sound great

The Last of a Breed
By Jim J on 05/05/08 19:29 PM (PDT)

2008 Ford Ranger SuperCab FX4 Off-Road 4dr SuperCab 4WD Styleside SB (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

Being the last year of the Ranger I`m glad I ordered one when I did. I`ve been extremely pleased with this vehicle. It works exceptionally well in off-road conditions even with the factory street tires and gets me about 20 MPG on a trip. Regular gas is still the cheapest and it works well to deliver all the power I need.

Ranger Birthday
By Thomas Kenny on 04/14/08 21:18 PM (PDT)

2008 Ford Ranger SuperCab XL 2dr SuperCab Styleside SB (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

Bought myself a new 08 Ranger for my birthday. It is the XL Supercab with the 2.3l I4 engine with 5 speed automatic overdrive transmission. I love the torch red color, and I did get A/C, tilt/cruise, stereo with CD player that is MP3 friendly, buddy seats, privacy glass and sliding rear window. I am looking for some good gas mileage and am told that I can get between 24 and 29 mpg on the road after the engine loosens up in 2-3 thousand miles. I love to drive it, it is very quiet, handles predictably with good road feel and steering. This is probably the last year of the Ranger so this truck should keep the Ranger memory alive for many years.

Good Buy!
By 3ABirdMan on 03/27/08 14:34 PM (PDT)

2008 Ford Ranger SuperCab XLT 2dr SuperCab Styleside SB (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I traded in a '03 F150 FX4 SuperCrew Lariat (14.4 MPG). I didn't need 4 doors anymore, and needed better fuel economy. I looked at the Chevy/GMC and Toyota before deciding on the Ranger. I am very satisfied. At 6'3" & 255 lbs, I couldn't fit in the Chevy/GM due to lack of leg/knee room (I have no problem in the Ranger because of dash and console design!) and the Tacoma was too much money. I love the "feel" of the seat - it is firm and comfortable, with a good ride. The 2.3L 4-cyl engine is great for economy, but lacks power IF you have to haul alot of cargo or pull a small trailer with the A/C on! Empty, acceleration and power are fine. I really like the Ranger, despite the small size!

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2008 Ford Ranger Supercab in NJ is:

$224 per month*