Used 2008 Ford Ranger Regular Cab Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Ford Ranger Regular Cab - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Ranger model:

Fine little truck
By Aaron

2008 Ford Ranger Regular Cab XL 2dr Regular Cab Styleside SB (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this truck as a second vehicle primarily for haulings stuff w/o ruining my other car. I bought a really stripped down version of it (air and auto only) about 3 mos. ago, and have been really happy with it. The ride is stiff and the transmission is somewhat unrefined, but still this truck was a very economical solution to my needs. While the 4-cyl engine won't win any races, the low end torque enables the engine to come through when I'm really loaded up. The 4-cyl. is noisy, the truck is loose in the rear on wet pavement :), the air conditioning works well, but I have inadvertanly knocked the truck into neutral when reaching for the radio controls (bad layout). I would recommend it.

The bed of course.

Get the radio controls out of the line of the gear shift. Add in some insulation to reduce the engine noise.

Great American Value!
By Gary

2008 Ford Ranger Regular Cab XLT 2dr Regular Cab Styleside SB (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I recently purchased this truck almost a month ago for an excellent low price! The 4 cyl exceeded my expectations! The truck has plenty of power, handles great, road noise is lower than I expected and interior and exterior is sharp looking. Gas mileage is great! I wish the speakers sounder better, but hey, it's a truck! It also feels great to buy American!

Gas mileage, great handling, engine power, interior/exterior looks great

Better stereo speakers

2 in the family
By Scott

2008 Ford Ranger Regular Cab XL 2dr Regular Cab Styleside SB (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

My son bought a Ranger in 2001, has 150000 on it without 1 problem, so I bought one last fall, think these vehicles are Fords best kept secret. My son has 3.0, I bought the 2.3, my gas mileage is a great.Years ago I had a 98 Nissan Frontier 2.4, the Ranger is twice the truck.

Looks, solid build, reliability.

For the price, can,t think of anything.

OK, but I got a Lemon
By Zolar1

2008 Ford Ranger Regular Cab XLT 2dr Regular Cab Styleside SB (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I barely get 14-15MPG in the city in the wintertime. Summertime, I can scrape the 18MPG if the A/C isn't on. I have never got anything above 20.5 MPG. I drive with a very very light foot. If I can get 24MPG out of a 4.3L 6cyl GMC pickup, I should be able to do the same with this truck. Vehicle keeps getting leaves in the ductwork, Seriously lacks power, and the A/C is on when you use any setting other than off or vent. Dealer claims it was designed that way. Vehicle still missing a flap in the driver's side fender well. Dealer says it's not supposed to have one. Vehicle has peeling painted masking tape on support in front of the radiator.

Seats are comfortable, but interior lacks space for storage. Antilock brakes, but never had to use them. KREX supplemental warranty on the engine with free roadside assistance.

Get rid of the space taking seat computers. Use an A/C switch so you can manually turn the A/C compressor on-off as you desire, regardless of other switch settings. Better full vehicle warranty - 3/36 is too low. Rangers get the same MPG now as they did 20 years ago. Include a LINE-X bed liner.

An Honest Truck
By JWH

2008 Ford Ranger Regular Cab XLT 2dr Regular Cab Styleside SB (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I traded a two-year old Silverado V6 for my Ranger. The Silverado got 13- 15 mpg and had way too many problems. My little Ranger got 26.3 mpg from the first tank. It just passed the 1500 mile mark, and has yet to get under 25 mpg. It is comfortable, it pulls my utility/motorcycle trailer with ease. It's fun to drive and overall it seems like a good friendly little vehicle that I will have for a long time. Its quality is first rate. Its performance with the little 4 cyl is way better than the Silverado V6. The seats are great, the stereo/sat radio combination is wonderful, and the cruise control works flawlessly. We had a couple of Rangers at work - couldn't hurt them. Great truck.

Quality, seats, radio, cruise control, and solid feel.

I wish I had gotten power windows and power door locks. I'd like better climate control features (dual zone). I wish the headlights had an auto on feature.