2008 Ford Ranger - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Ranger model:
Great American Value!
By Gary on 05/28/09 16:41 PM (PDT)

2008 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr Regular Cab Styleside SB (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I recently purchased this truck almost a month ago for an excellent low price! The 4 cyl exceeded my expectations! The truck has plenty of power, handles great, road noise is lower than I expected and interior and exterior is sharp looking. Gas mileage is great! I wish the speakers sounder better, but hey, it's a truck! It also feels great to buy American!

Probably the best I have ever owned!!!!!
By RogerFarmer on 05/19/09 18:24 PM (PDT)

2008 Ford Ranger SPORT 2dr SuperCab 4WD Styleside SB (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

I purchased the truck with 3,000 miles on it. I have put 1,000 miles on it. It has the 4.0. That is the fastest 207 horsepower that I have seen! I own 2 other Fords that are still going strong. The gas mileage could be better, but that is nothing. It is probably the best truck that I have owned. I love it, and would highly recomend it. The price was a songcompared to the other truck on the market!!!

2 in the family
By Scott on 03/21/09 20:54 PM (PDT)

2008 Ford Ranger XL 2dr Regular Cab Styleside SB (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

My son bought a Ranger in 2001, has 150000 on it without 1 problem, so I bought one last fall, think these vehicles are Fords best kept secret. My son has 3.0, I bought the 2.3, my gas mileage is a great.Years ago I had a 98 Nissan Frontier 2.4, the Ranger is twice the truck.

Old Dog, New Tricks
By brettsgirl on 01/22/09 16:52 PM (PST)

2008 Ford Ranger FX4 Off-Road 4dr SuperCab 4WD Styleside SB (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

There seems to be a lot of poor reviews out there for this aging little truck. My questions may be: What is the best selling compact pickup ever? What is the most "bang for the buck" that you can get out of a compact pickup? Believe me when I say that Ford Motor company is not without its reasons for keeping this little truck around. Money, and lots of it! I love my brawny little workhorse! After driving some of the competitor's overpirced products, I found myself with Ford again. People complain about the ride: well, it is actually a truck, not a thimbly little car, with a box, and cab! I can go places with my untouched Ranger that most big trucks wouldn't dare!

OK, but I got a Lemon
By Zolar1 on 01/12/09 15:08 PM (PST)

2008 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr Regular Cab Styleside SB (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I barely get 14-15MPG in the city in the wintertime. Summertime, I can scrape the 18MPG if the A/C isn't on. I have never got anything above 20.5 MPG. I drive with a very very light foot. If I can get 24MPG out of a 4.3L 6cyl GMC pickup, I should be able to do the same with this truck. Vehicle keeps getting leaves in the ductwork, Seriously lacks power, and the A/C is on when you use any setting other than off or vent. Dealer claims it was designed that way. Vehicle still missing a flap in the driver's side fender well. Dealer says it's not supposed to have one. Vehicle has peeling painted masking tape on support in front of the radiator.

Keeps on truckin'
By woods860 on 12/23/08 23:17 PM (PST)

2008 Ford Ranger FX4 Off-Road 4dr SuperCab 4WD Styleside SB (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

Great off road. The fx4 upgrade is a good platform to build an off road weekend warroir like mine is. Fits 33x12.5x15 with little rubbing the 3" lift help with tht. Found tht back jump seats pretty much useless unless your verticaly challenged. The 4.10 gears are tourqie and helps me pulls damn near anything. 4.0l motor has tons of power. Chiped mine tho little better fuel mileage that way plus the extra hp didn't hurt. Although my F-150 is better on fuel. Very solid feeling truck. Well built. Upgraded fx4 interior is sharp and functional. Light aregood and bright. Easy to drive and hardly any blind spots. Built Ford tough!

An Honest Truck
By JWH on 11/13/08 11:57 AM (PST)

2008 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr Regular Cab Styleside SB (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I traded a two-year old Silverado V6 for my Ranger. The Silverado got 13- 15 mpg and had way too many problems. My little Ranger got 26.3 mpg from the first tank. It just passed the 1500 mile mark, and has yet to get under 25 mpg. It is comfortable, it pulls my utility/motorcycle trailer with ease. It's fun to drive and overall it seems like a good friendly little vehicle that I will have for a long time. Its quality is first rate. Its performance with the little 4 cyl is way better than the Silverado V6. The seats are great, the stereo/sat radio combination is wonderful, and the cruise control works flawlessly. We had a couple of Rangers at work - couldn't hurt them. Great truck.

2008 Ranger Supercab 4.0/Auto
By Sptfir on 11/11/08 22:07 PM (PST)

2008 Ford Ranger XLT 4dr SuperCab 4WD Styleside SB (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

My third Ranger so I'm obviously comfortable with them. No problems with this newest. It seems just a little lighter built than my 02 for some reason. Air noise around windows that the dealer couldn't seem to fix. Fuel consuption for the 4.0/auto has been a steady 21 mpg in urban driving. No complaints, just comments. People compliment the Vista Blue color

They need to see their competition
By ROLM on 11/04/08 13:42 PM (PST)

2008 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr SuperCab Styleside SB (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I was an engineer at Chrysler. My father at GM. I drive for a living. Quality: First USA car with no manufacturing defects. Looks great. Handles Highway: the worst I have ever driven. Printed dangerous handling warning on visor. Best mileage: small 6 with the gas efficient rear end. Best handling: same. Interior: They fired their engineers 30 years ago. I could write pages on their lack of cab engineering. Everything is in the wrong place, works the wrong way, is the wrong size, whatever. E.G. try changing a fuse if you are not an anorexic 8-year old (need flashlight). Try getting groceries out of the back seat. No fan switch off. Center knob: Off(1),vent(1),AC(6).

Still the best little trucks made!
By Gordo16 on 11/04/08 10:41 AM (PST)

2008 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr SuperCab Styleside SB (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I have had my latest Ranger for 11 months, now. Averages about 31 MPG on highway trips even going through all of the traffic-jams on I-95 through CT, NY and NJ. My last Ranger was a 1993, which I gave to my son and he is still using it to haul heating-wood. The other brands are more luxurious, but if you need a tough little truck ( not a car with a box stuck on the back) Ford still builds the best. It's probably why the Ranger Plant is staying open, a while longer. Good luck finding another pickup that actually gets over 30 MPG.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.