Used 2008 Ford Ranger XLT SuperCab Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Ford Ranger - Consumer Reviews

2008 Ford Ranger SuperCab

View reviews for a specific Ranger model:

The best small truck PERIOD
By jtf

2008 Ford Ranger SuperCab XLT 2dr SuperCab Styleside SB (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

This is my second ranger. There are 2 others rangers my family has (93&98).These trucks are tough and very reliable. The 2.3 DOHC and 5 spd are great choice 24mpg city and 27 highway and plenty of power( 3rd gear wheel spin). The other trucks have no rust and one has over 200,000 miles. I would have kept my 2001 ranger but I like the added interior space of the supercab.You can't buy a better small truck for the money... period

Favorite Features

Straight forward design. reliable drive train. Good AC

Suggested Improvements

Maybe put the 2.5 DOHC in. little more space behind the front seats. better wheel design (chrome wheels collect dirt)

They need to see their competition
By ROLM

2008 Ford Ranger SuperCab XLT 2dr SuperCab Styleside SB (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I was an engineer at Chrysler. My father at GM. I drive for a living. Quality: First USA car with no manufacturing defects. Looks great. Handles Highway: the worst I have ever driven. Printed dangerous handling warning on visor. Best mileage: small 6 with the gas efficient rear end. Best handling: same. Interior: They fired their engineers 30 years ago. I could write pages on their lack of cab engineering. Everything is in the wrong place, works the wrong way, is the wrong size, whatever. E.G. try changing a fuse if you are not an anorexic 8-year old (need flashlight). Try getting groceries out of the back seat. No fan switch off. Center knob: Off(1),vent(1),AC(6).

Favorite Features

Nice paint.

Suggested Improvements

Bigger door storage, glove box. Add other storage. Increase side mirror range. Redo AC controls. Attached dome light switch. Extend center console. Move 12v plugs to center console. Make fuse panel accessible. Give layout. Reverse buttons on key fob to match door. Extend seat tracks forward

Still the best little trucks made!
By Gordo16

2008 Ford Ranger SuperCab XLT 2dr SuperCab Styleside SB (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I have had my latest Ranger for 11 months, now. Averages about 31 MPG on highway trips even going through all of the traffic-jams on I-95 through CT, NY and NJ. My last Ranger was a 1993, which I gave to my son and he is still using it to haul heating-wood. The other brands are more luxurious, but if you need a tough little truck ( not a car with a box stuck on the back) Ford still builds the best. It's probably why the Ranger Plant is staying open, a while longer. Good luck finding another pickup that actually gets over 30 MPG.

Favorite Features

Looks like an American-made truck. Very smooth 5-speed with 4:10 rear end.

Suggested Improvements

Tip-up passenger seat. Spark-o-matic makes a tip-up mounting bracket for racing seats that you can install.

2008 Ranger Review
By The Wanderer

2008 Ford Ranger SuperCab XLT 2dr SuperCab Styleside SB (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I have the 3.0 liter motor and it's getting 20mpg in town and 25mpg plus on long trips. It's not as strong of the line as my older 4.0 liter was, but the 3.0 is no slouch. The ride is much improved over my older Ranger ( late 90's). The Sirius radio is a must for those long commutes to work. The seats are very comfortable and in general, the truck seems built very well. The 5 speed automatic shifts very easily. This is my third Ranger ( all 99,000 miles + on each) and I hope Ford continues this line in some form as it is a winner

Favorite Features

Sirius radio, air conditioning, excellent gas mileage, steady handling

Suggested Improvements

More cup holders, real chrome wheels, standard anti - sway bars at the rear wheels.

Great MPG with lots of Utility
By Rockdoggy

2008 Ford Ranger SuperCab XLT 2dr SuperCab Styleside SB (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

Got this little truck last week and it handles great. Nice shifting 5 speed manual, great gas mileage and lots of utility. If you need a reliable truck for everyday hauling and the occasional large item haul this fits the bill perfectly. Solidly built 2.3 liter engine has plenty of power. Sits up high where you can see clearly. The design is dated but still looks great. Ford decided to stop the 3.0 next year. Should have retooled the 3.0 like they put in other vehicles. I think Ford's marketing team needs their heads examined. Instead of tying to sell options, sell trucks with options people want without all the extras people don't want. Can you say plastic wheel covers for $190 or Sirius!

Favorite Features

2.3 fuel efficient engine, solid build, aux input on radio - excellent sound. Highly maneuverable in standard cab form. Nice shifting 5 speed manual. Nice seats, tachometer standard.

Suggested Improvements

No plastic clad wheels - real alloy or nothing. Offer power group more often or better yet make it standard, at least power windows. Get rid of 4.0 and put in the 3.5 that you put in the Edge or the 240 hp 3.0 like the Escape. Just make air standard period!