2008 Ford Ranger SuperCab - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Ranger model:
The best small truck PERIOD
By jtf on 12/27/09 04:58 AM (PST)

2008 Ford Ranger SuperCab XLT 2dr SuperCab Styleside SB (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

This is my second ranger. There are 2 others rangers my family has (93&98).These trucks are tough and very reliable. The 2.3 DOHC and 5 spd are great choice 24mpg city and 27 highway and plenty of power( 3rd gear wheel spin). The other trucks have no rust and one has over 200,000 miles. I would have kept my 2001 ranger but I like the added interior space of the supercab.You can't buy a better small truck for the money... period

They need to see their competition
By ROLM on 11/04/08 13:42 PM (PST)

2008 Ford Ranger SuperCab XLT 2dr SuperCab Styleside SB (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I was an engineer at Chrysler. My father at GM. I drive for a living. Quality: First USA car with no manufacturing defects. Looks great. Handles Highway: the worst I have ever driven. Printed dangerous handling warning on visor. Best mileage: small 6 with the gas efficient rear end. Best handling: same. Interior: They fired their engineers 30 years ago. I could write pages on their lack of cab engineering. Everything is in the wrong place, works the wrong way, is the wrong size, whatever. E.G. try changing a fuse if you are not an anorexic 8-year old (need flashlight). Try getting groceries out of the back seat. No fan switch off. Center knob: Off(1),vent(1),AC(6).

Still the best little trucks made!
By Gordo16 on 11/04/08 10:41 AM (PST)

2008 Ford Ranger SuperCab XLT 2dr SuperCab Styleside SB (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I have had my latest Ranger for 11 months, now. Averages about 31 MPG on highway trips even going through all of the traffic-jams on I-95 through CT, NY and NJ. My last Ranger was a 1993, which I gave to my son and he is still using it to haul heating-wood. The other brands are more luxurious, but if you need a tough little truck ( not a car with a box stuck on the back) Ford still builds the best. It's probably why the Ranger Plant is staying open, a while longer. Good luck finding another pickup that actually gets over 30 MPG.

2008 Ranger Review
By The Wanderer on 10/10/08 15:31 PM (PDT)

2008 Ford Ranger SuperCab XLT 2dr SuperCab Styleside SB (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I have the 3.0 liter motor and it's getting 20mpg in town and 25mpg plus on long trips. It's not as strong of the line as my older 4.0 liter was, but the 3.0 is no slouch. The ride is much improved over my older Ranger ( late 90's). The Sirius radio is a must for those long commutes to work. The seats are very comfortable and in general, the truck seems built very well. The 5 speed automatic shifts very easily. This is my third Ranger ( all 99,000 miles + on each) and I hope Ford continues this line in some form as it is a winner

Great MPG with lots of Utility
By Rockdoggy on 09/21/08 07:27 AM (PDT)

2008 Ford Ranger SuperCab XLT 2dr SuperCab Styleside SB (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

Got this little truck last week and it handles great. Nice shifting 5 speed manual, great gas mileage and lots of utility. If you need a reliable truck for everyday hauling and the occasional large item haul this fits the bill perfectly. Solidly built 2.3 liter engine has plenty of power. Sits up high where you can see clearly. The design is dated but still looks great. Ford decided to stop the 3.0 next year. Should have retooled the 3.0 like they put in other vehicles. I think Ford's marketing team needs their heads examined. Instead of tying to sell options, sell trucks with options people want without all the extras people don't want. Can you say plastic wheel covers for $190 or Sirius!

I like it very much
By Travis on 09/07/08 22:12 PM (PDT)

2008 Ford Ranger SuperCab XLT 2dr SuperCab Styleside SB (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

Just bought this truck, Red Supercab automatic 2.3L I4 Engine. Traded a Jeep Wrangler 6 speed manual. Have wanted a Ranger for years, finally decide to get one. Only 200 miles so far but I'm pleased with it. Got it for basic commute to work, to get good gas mileage, have more capacity than the jeep to do stuff. Access to supercab area is only gripe I have. Some here critical of ride, this is much better than the Jeep! When I test road I was surprised how smooth it was. For what it is, this is an excellent truck. Ford should keep making it as long as it sells well, it doesn't need "fancy" upgrades when most folks are looking for a good basic truck. I found mine!

Ford Ranger 2008 Supercab 4x2 I4 Auto
By Eric on 07/22/08 08:52 AM (PDT)

2008 Ford Ranger SuperCab XLT 2dr SuperCab Styleside SB (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I have driven 2186 miles and have averaged 20.48 miles per gallon with the AC on all the time in Florida. It's a fun truck to drive. The interior is well designed but, the back cab area is hard to use. If one side of the rear cab area opened the interior of this truck would be perfect. The truck has average power. I don't feel like other drivers are pushing me from red lights and stop signs. I am an average driver, not very agressive and not very slow. The cloth seats and carpet are nice. The steering wheel is positioned very well for long drives. Overall I am very happy with this truck and I am sure that I will keep this truck for a long time.

Best small truck on the road
By srhudgens on 07/02/08 13:16 PM (PDT)

2008 Ford Ranger SuperCab XLT 2dr SuperCab Styleside SB (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I bought a new Ranger this year, spurred on by the crazy rebates Ford offered on this truck earlier in the year. Replaced a 1995 Ranger XLT with over 220,000 trouble-free miles. These are the best small trucks on the road. Funny thing, I drove off the lot paying just $9,800 for a loaded 2008 Ranger XLT. The dealership gave me $2,000 for my 1995 Ranger. What wonderful trucks these are. Ford is making a huge mistake discontinuing the line. Leave it to an American auto company to discontinue the most fuel-efficient line of trucks in production just as gas prices set new records...

Good Buy!
By 3ABirdMan on 03/27/08 14:34 PM (PDT)

2008 Ford Ranger SuperCab XLT 2dr SuperCab Styleside SB (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I traded in a '03 F150 FX4 SuperCrew Lariat (14.4 MPG). I didn't need 4 doors anymore, and needed better fuel economy. I looked at the Chevy/GMC and Toyota before deciding on the Ranger. I am very satisfied. At 6'3" & 255 lbs, I couldn't fit in the Chevy/GM due to lack of leg/knee room (I have no problem in the Ranger because of dash and console design!) and the Tacoma was too much money. I love the "feel" of the seat - it is firm and comfortable, with a good ride. The 2.3L 4-cyl engine is great for economy, but lacks power IF you have to haul alot of cargo or pull a small trailer with the A/C on! Empty, acceleration and power are fine. I really like the Ranger, despite the small size!

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.