Used 2008 Ford Ranger XLT Regular Cab Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Ford Ranger Regular Cab - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Ranger model:

Downsizing worked out!
By Norton

2008 Ford Ranger Regular Cab XLT 2dr Regular Cab Styleside SB (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I sold my 2003 Dodge Ram Quad Cab 4 X 4 with Hemi & ordered my Ranger XLT 4 Banger with auto & all options. In short, I love this truck. Average 24 MPG, fun to drive and think Ford should put time & effort into the Ranger's future! I am a happy Ford Customer!

Truck is made in America, Fit & finish as well as quality is great!

Outdoor Temp Readout, Overhead Consol, better choices for rim & tire options!

Great American Value!
By Gary

2008 Ford Ranger Regular Cab XLT 2dr Regular Cab Styleside SB (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I recently purchased this truck almost a month ago for an excellent low price! The 4 cyl exceeded my expectations! The truck has plenty of power, handles great, road noise is lower than I expected and interior and exterior is sharp looking. Gas mileage is great! I wish the speakers sounder better, but hey, it's a truck! It also feels great to buy American!

Gas mileage, great handling, engine power, interior/exterior looks great

Better stereo speakers

OK, but I got a Lemon
By Zolar1

2008 Ford Ranger Regular Cab XLT 2dr Regular Cab Styleside SB (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I barely get 14-15MPG in the city in the wintertime. Summertime, I can scrape the 18MPG if the A/C isn't on. I have never got anything above 20.5 MPG. I drive with a very very light foot. If I can get 24MPG out of a 4.3L 6cyl GMC pickup, I should be able to do the same with this truck. Vehicle keeps getting leaves in the ductwork, Seriously lacks power, and the A/C is on when you use any setting other than off or vent. Dealer claims it was designed that way. Vehicle still missing a flap in the driver's side fender well. Dealer says it's not supposed to have one. Vehicle has peeling painted masking tape on support in front of the radiator.

Seats are comfortable, but interior lacks space for storage. Antilock brakes, but never had to use them. KREX supplemental warranty on the engine with free roadside assistance.

Get rid of the space taking seat computers. Use an A/C switch so you can manually turn the A/C compressor on-off as you desire, regardless of other switch settings. Better full vehicle warranty - 3/36 is too low. Rangers get the same MPG now as they did 20 years ago. Include a LINE-X bed liner.

An Honest Truck
By JWH

2008 Ford Ranger Regular Cab XLT 2dr Regular Cab Styleside SB (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I traded a two-year old Silverado V6 for my Ranger. The Silverado got 13- 15 mpg and had way too many problems. My little Ranger got 26.3 mpg from the first tank. It just passed the 1500 mile mark, and has yet to get under 25 mpg. It is comfortable, it pulls my utility/motorcycle trailer with ease. It's fun to drive and overall it seems like a good friendly little vehicle that I will have for a long time. Its quality is first rate. Its performance with the little 4 cyl is way better than the Silverado V6. The seats are great, the stereo/sat radio combination is wonderful, and the cruise control works flawlessly. We had a couple of Rangers at work - couldn't hurt them. Great truck.

Quality, seats, radio, cruise control, and solid feel.

I wish I had gotten power windows and power door locks. I'd like better climate control features (dual zone). I wish the headlights had an auto on feature.

Great Value
By Salem Boy

2008 Ford Ranger Regular Cab XLT 2dr Regular Cab Styleside SB (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

Just bought a new 08 Ranger XLT Reg. Cab with 4cyl automatic. With the current $3000 rebate, nothing else could come close to the price. Even with GM's employee pricing, a similar equiped Colorado was $1500 more. The chome trim on the XLT and the chrome wheels that my Ranger has make it a sharp looking truck. I couldn't find a used truck that didn't have a ton of miles for much less than I paid for this truck new. With the great gas milage 19 / 24 this truck should do everything I need it to do, which is drive back and forth to work and to haul the occational home project supplies.

MP3 audio jack, chrome wheels, chrome trim, and carpet on the XLT

To keep up with the Colorado, should add cruise control as standard equipment