2008 Ford Ranger Regular Cab - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Ranger model:
The only compact left, and better for it
By BR on 08/29/09 00:15 AM (PDT)

2008 Ford Ranger Regular Cab XL 2dr Regular Cab Styleside SB (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

This was my first new vehicle, my first four cylinder, and my first stick shift. I made the right choice. I bought the truck because of what it was, basic, inexpensive, and frugal. The turn signal stalk split at the mold seam at 12,000 miles, but that's not a big deal. It's 2wd but it will make it through deep mud, just don't stop. I've got a K&N filer and a Flowmaster exhaust installed which added very usable low/mid range power. I'm not a Ford guy, I grew up in a GM household. This little truck grows on you, my dad even likes it. Not bad for an old design is it?

Ford Ranger 2008 Reg Cab 2W 6cyl
By Houston on 07/20/09 19:20 PM (PDT)

2008 Ford Ranger Regular Cab XL 2dr Regular Cab Styleside SB (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

Style is thick, brawny, efficient and descendant of the bull dog. Basic model does the job on hauling furniture, plants, groceries. wood, sod, bricks. No space is wasted Recommend that you get the electrical windows option; I installed after market windows and remote door locks and wished I had purchased the factory options with Ford. You should also protect your investment and get bedliner with Ford logo. The white paint is beautiful- like porcelein and reflects the 100 degree southern heat. For the low price, a very reliable and satisfactory long term investment. The MPG is really comparable to other 6 cylinder trucks as well as luxury cars! So you are in the ballpark.

Fine little truck
By Aaron on 06/14/09 21:13 PM (PDT)

2008 Ford Ranger Regular Cab XL 2dr Regular Cab Styleside SB (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this truck as a second vehicle primarily for haulings stuff w/o ruining my other car. I bought a really stripped down version of it (air and auto only) about 3 mos. ago, and have been really happy with it. The ride is stiff and the transmission is somewhat unrefined, but still this truck was a very economical solution to my needs. While the 4-cyl engine won't win any races, the low end torque enables the engine to come through when I'm really loaded up. The 4-cyl. is noisy, the truck is loose in the rear on wet pavement :), the air conditioning works well, but I have inadvertanly knocked the truck into neutral when reaching for the radio controls (bad layout). I would recommend it.

2 in the family
By Scott on 03/21/09 20:54 PM (PDT)

2008 Ford Ranger Regular Cab XL 2dr Regular Cab Styleside SB (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

My son bought a Ranger in 2001, has 150000 on it without 1 problem, so I bought one last fall, think these vehicles are Fords best kept secret. My son has 3.0, I bought the 2.3, my gas mileage is a great.Years ago I had a 98 Nissan Frontier 2.4, the Ranger is twice the truck.

Where are the automatics?
By Zolar1 on 08/16/08 18:47 PM (PDT)

2008 Ford Ranger Regular Cab XL 2dr Regular Cab Styleside SB (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

Mine is not listed. 2.2l 4 cyl, automatic w/air I strongly suspect that the vehicle was seriously wrecked before purchase. Clicking noise in the steering, rubbing noise in the front, bad mpg, painted masking tape behind the front grille, hood not aligned on ds with fender, missing rubber flap inside ds fender, erratic rough shifting, squeaking rear brakes, front of bed too flimsy to strap an appliance on it (you can push it in with your hand), near deaf service writers/mechanics cannot hear noises, 17 gal gas tank (should have been a 20gal), other problems.

E-Z on the wallet
By Jim on 02/16/08 18:29 PM (PST)

2008 Ford Ranger Regular Cab XL 2dr Regular Cab Styleside SB (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

Just got it, sold my gas hog Dodge Ram 2500. Tired of putting 100$ in gas, so bought the little Ranger where can you spend under 12,000 on a new truck and still have fun in a 2008 model. Keep up the good work Ford...if it ain't broke don't fix it.

Lots for the Money
By Average Joe on 12/09/07 20:05 PM (PST)

2008 Ford Ranger Regular Cab XL 2dr Regular Cab Styleside SB (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

After puting the last 20K, of 107K, on a 1997 model, I bought the 2008. Not much change, but "if it aint broke don't fix it!" These little trucks will give you much economical utility and reliabilty. When you are not "trucking" it is decently comfortable transportation for two.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2008 Ford Ranger Regular-cab in VA is:

$118 per month*