2008 Ford Ranger Regular Cab - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Ranger model:
Who needs luxory
By Dr. Witt on 04/08/10 19:09 PM (PDT)

2008 Ford Ranger Regular Cab SPORT 2dr Regular Cab SB (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I love all these people that complain about how the ranger is simple and outdated. Technology means nothing when your vehicle is in the shop because the state of the art traction control system has a computer malfunction. This truck is always reliable because of its simplicity which is reflected in the low price. You can easily spend more money for a Toyota Tacoma but at the end of the day the ranger is more reliable and will get you from a to b for less money. They are also very easy to do self repairs on which also saves money. If you want luxury buy a lexus they cost just about the same as one of those loaded cushy f150s

Best value/most honest pick-up out there
By Kurt on 04/08/10 07:43 AM (PDT)

2008 Ford Ranger Regular Cab XL 2dr Regular Cab 4WD Styleside SB (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I purposely looked for and purchased a base XL 4WD regular cab pick-up. Mine came from a N.C. dealer who used E-bay as the primary sales tool. My expectations were rather low because of the heavily discounted price and the low equipment level, but I was happily surprised. For such an old design, the basic utility and honesty of this truck really stands out. I'm completely satisfied.

The only compact left, and better for it
By BR on 08/29/09 00:15 AM (PDT)

2008 Ford Ranger Regular Cab XL 2dr Regular Cab Styleside SB (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

This was my first new vehicle, my first four cylinder, and my first stick shift. I made the right choice. I bought the truck because of what it was, basic, inexpensive, and frugal. The turn signal stalk split at the mold seam at 12,000 miles, but that's not a big deal. It's 2wd but it will make it through deep mud, just don't stop. I've got a K&N filer and a Flowmaster exhaust installed which added very usable low/mid range power. I'm not a Ford guy, I grew up in a GM household. This little truck grows on you, my dad even likes it. Not bad for an old design is it?

Ford Ranger 2008 Reg Cab 2W 6cyl
By Houston on 07/20/09 19:20 PM (PDT)

2008 Ford Ranger Regular Cab XL 2dr Regular Cab Styleside SB (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

Style is thick, brawny, efficient and descendant of the bull dog. Basic model does the job on hauling furniture, plants, groceries. wood, sod, bricks. No space is wasted Recommend that you get the electrical windows option; I installed after market windows and remote door locks and wished I had purchased the factory options with Ford. You should also protect your investment and get bedliner with Ford logo. The white paint is beautiful- like porcelein and reflects the 100 degree southern heat. For the low price, a very reliable and satisfactory long term investment. The MPG is really comparable to other 6 cylinder trucks as well as luxury cars! So you are in the ballpark.

Downsizing worked out!
By Norton on 07/17/09 16:10 PM (PDT)

2008 Ford Ranger Regular Cab XLT 2dr Regular Cab Styleside SB (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I sold my 2003 Dodge Ram Quad Cab 4 X 4 with Hemi & ordered my Ranger XLT 4 Banger with auto & all options. In short, I love this truck. Average 24 MPG, fun to drive and think Ford should put time & effort into the Ranger's future! I am a happy Ford Customer!

Fine little truck
By Aaron on 06/14/09 21:13 PM (PDT)

2008 Ford Ranger Regular Cab XL 2dr Regular Cab Styleside SB (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this truck as a second vehicle primarily for haulings stuff w/o ruining my other car. I bought a really stripped down version of it (air and auto only) about 3 mos. ago, and have been really happy with it. The ride is stiff and the transmission is somewhat unrefined, but still this truck was a very economical solution to my needs. While the 4-cyl engine won't win any races, the low end torque enables the engine to come through when I'm really loaded up. The 4-cyl. is noisy, the truck is loose in the rear on wet pavement :), the air conditioning works well, but I have inadvertanly knocked the truck into neutral when reaching for the radio controls (bad layout). I would recommend it.

Great American Value!
By Gary on 05/28/09 16:41 PM (PDT)

2008 Ford Ranger Regular Cab XLT 2dr Regular Cab Styleside SB (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I recently purchased this truck almost a month ago for an excellent low price! The 4 cyl exceeded my expectations! The truck has plenty of power, handles great, road noise is lower than I expected and interior and exterior is sharp looking. Gas mileage is great! I wish the speakers sounder better, but hey, it's a truck! It also feels great to buy American!

2 in the family
By Scott on 03/21/09 20:54 PM (PDT)

2008 Ford Ranger Regular Cab XL 2dr Regular Cab Styleside SB (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

My son bought a Ranger in 2001, has 150000 on it without 1 problem, so I bought one last fall, think these vehicles are Fords best kept secret. My son has 3.0, I bought the 2.3, my gas mileage is a great.Years ago I had a 98 Nissan Frontier 2.4, the Ranger is twice the truck.

OK, but I got a Lemon
By Zolar1 on 01/12/09 15:08 PM (PST)

2008 Ford Ranger Regular Cab XLT 2dr Regular Cab Styleside SB (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I barely get 14-15MPG in the city in the wintertime. Summertime, I can scrape the 18MPG if the A/C isn't on. I have never got anything above 20.5 MPG. I drive with a very very light foot. If I can get 24MPG out of a 4.3L 6cyl GMC pickup, I should be able to do the same with this truck. Vehicle keeps getting leaves in the ductwork, Seriously lacks power, and the A/C is on when you use any setting other than off or vent. Dealer claims it was designed that way. Vehicle still missing a flap in the driver's side fender well. Dealer says it's not supposed to have one. Vehicle has peeling painted masking tape on support in front of the radiator.

An Honest Truck
By JWH on 11/13/08 11:57 AM (PST)

2008 Ford Ranger Regular Cab XLT 2dr Regular Cab Styleside SB (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I traded a two-year old Silverado V6 for my Ranger. The Silverado got 13- 15 mpg and had way too many problems. My little Ranger got 26.3 mpg from the first tank. It just passed the 1500 mile mark, and has yet to get under 25 mpg. It is comfortable, it pulls my utility/motorcycle trailer with ease. It's fun to drive and overall it seems like a good friendly little vehicle that I will have for a long time. Its quality is first rate. Its performance with the little 4 cyl is way better than the Silverado V6. The seats are great, the stereo/sat radio combination is wonderful, and the cruise control works flawlessly. We had a couple of Rangers at work - couldn't hurt them. Great truck.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.