Used 2008 Ford Ranger Regular Cab Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Ford Ranger - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Ranger model:

Who needs luxory
By Dr. Witt

2008 Ford Ranger Regular Cab SPORT 2dr Regular Cab SB (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I love all these people that complain about how the ranger is simple and outdated. Technology means nothing when your vehicle is in the shop because the state of the art traction control system has a computer malfunction. This truck is always reliable because of its simplicity which is reflected in the low price. You can easily spend more money for a Toyota Tacoma but at the end of the day the ranger is more reliable and will get you from a to b for less money. They are also very easy to do self repairs on which also saves money. If you want luxury buy a lexus they cost just about the same as one of those loaded cushy f150s

Favorite Features

manual locks, manual windows, manual transmission (just more things that wont break in the future), old school heating and ac controls, sport wheel wells

Suggested Improvements

This is the only truck that still actually feels like a truck if it ain't broke don't fix it.

Best value/most honest pick-up out there
By Kurt

2008 Ford Ranger Regular Cab XL 2dr Regular Cab 4WD Styleside SB (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I purposely looked for and purchased a base XL 4WD regular cab pick-up. Mine came from a N.C. dealer who used E-bay as the primary sales tool. My expectations were rather low because of the heavily discounted price and the low equipment level, but I was happily surprised. For such an old design, the basic utility and honesty of this truck really stands out. I'm completely satisfied.

Favorite Features

Fabulous heating and a/c system. High quality plant (very few stone chips) No-nonsense styling Just the right size.

Suggested Improvements

Better fuel economy. More power, as well.

The only compact left, and better for it
By BR

2008 Ford Ranger Regular Cab XL 2dr Regular Cab Styleside SB (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

This was my first new vehicle, my first four cylinder, and my first stick shift. I made the right choice. I bought the truck because of what it was, basic, inexpensive, and frugal. The turn signal stalk split at the mold seam at 12,000 miles, but that's not a big deal. It's 2wd but it will make it through deep mud, just don't stop. I've got a K&N filer and a Flowmaster exhaust installed which added very usable low/mid range power. I'm not a Ford guy, I grew up in a GM household. This little truck grows on you, my dad even likes it. Not bad for an old design is it?

Favorite Features

Decent power, ergonomics are spot on, handles curves better than it has a right to.

Suggested Improvements

All season light truck tires as standard equipment on 4-cylinder models, not passenger car tires.

Ford Ranger 2008 Reg Cab 2W 6cyl
By Houston

2008 Ford Ranger Regular Cab XL 2dr Regular Cab Styleside SB (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

Style is thick, brawny, efficient and descendant of the bull dog. Basic model does the job on hauling furniture, plants, groceries. wood, sod, bricks. No space is wasted Recommend that you get the electrical windows option; I installed after market windows and remote door locks and wished I had purchased the factory options with Ford. You should also protect your investment and get bedliner with Ford logo. The white paint is beautiful- like porcelein and reflects the 100 degree southern heat. For the low price, a very reliable and satisfactory long term investment. The MPG is really comparable to other 6 cylinder trucks as well as luxury cars! So you are in the ballpark.

Favorite Features

Air Conditioning does the job in the closed regular cab-I feel real protected from the heat. The seats are simple grey leather imitation. Seats do not get hot and are roomy enough and solid-does the job like the rest. Close your eyes and you will not know if you are in an SUV or Lexus!

Suggested Improvements

You need to up the basic price with options since they are necessary by today's standards. Remote window locks electrical windows, stereo are a must. You must get the best tires, since trucks work hard and are driven hard. The power steering does not turn easy enough for me.

Downsizing worked out!
By Norton

2008 Ford Ranger Regular Cab XLT 2dr Regular Cab Styleside SB (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I sold my 2003 Dodge Ram Quad Cab 4 X 4 with Hemi & ordered my Ranger XLT 4 Banger with auto & all options. In short, I love this truck. Average 24 MPG, fun to drive and think Ford should put time & effort into the Ranger's future! I am a happy Ford Customer!

Favorite Features

Truck is made in America, Fit & finish as well as quality is great!

Suggested Improvements

Outdoor Temp Readout, Overhead Consol, better choices for rim & tire options!