Used 2008 Ford Ranger Regular Cab Consumer Reviews - 18 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Ford Ranger Regular Cab - Consumer Reviews

2008 Ford Ranger Regular Cab

View reviews for a specific Ranger model:

Very good truck
By George Dibble

2008 Ford Ranger Regular Cab XL 2dr Regular Cab Styleside SB (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

Very good truck. I've had this little ranger a little over two years and I've had no problems with it whatsoever. I would recommend this vehicle to anyone looking for a small pick up. The only downside is that it's towing capacity is Limited by it's four-cylinder engine.

Easy to work on
By Jason

2008 Ford Ranger Regular Cab XLT 2dr Regular Cab Styleside SB (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

My second ranger, bought first one new in 99 and drove it 14 years. This one is AUTO with CC. It was wrecked, but I've had no issues. The 2.3L is pretty pathetic, but I get 25+ mpg. The parts are cheap and it's easy to work on, simple is good. I bought it with 45K in 2010 and put 50K on it. The only thing that broke was the heater/AC fan clicks if not adjusted right after riding on a bumpy road. I've changed front rotors, breaks and bearings, all the shocks and struts, the rear diff fluid, AT fuild and filter, plugs and wires, and flushed radiator. I did cause a steering pump leak by putting radiator flush in it, but they're only 60 bucks. It is VERY easy to work on, I am not a mechanic. I've towed/loaded heavy stuff and ripped up stumps. She will run. It's really small on the inside. Rangers are awesome and reliable.

Who needs luxory
By Dr. Witt

2008 Ford Ranger Regular Cab SPORT 2dr Regular Cab SB (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I love all these people that complain about how the ranger is simple and outdated. Technology means nothing when your vehicle is in the shop because the state of the art traction control system has a computer malfunction. This truck is always reliable because of its simplicity which is reflected in the low price. You can easily spend more money for a Toyota Tacoma but at the end of the day the ranger is more reliable and will get you from a to b for less money. They are also very easy to do self repairs on which also saves money. If you want luxury buy a lexus they cost just about the same as one of those loaded cushy f150s

manual locks, manual windows, manual transmission (just more things that wont break in the future), old school heating and ac controls, sport wheel wells

This is the only truck that still actually feels like a truck if it ain't broke don't fix it.

Best value/most honest pick-up out there
By Kurt

2008 Ford Ranger Regular Cab XL 2dr Regular Cab 4WD Styleside SB (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I purposely looked for and purchased a base XL 4WD regular cab pick-up. Mine came from a N.C. dealer who used E-bay as the primary sales tool. My expectations were rather low because of the heavily discounted price and the low equipment level, but I was happily surprised. For such an old design, the basic utility and honesty of this truck really stands out. I'm completely satisfied.

Fabulous heating and a/c system. High quality plant (very few stone chips) No-nonsense styling Just the right size.

Better fuel economy. More power, as well.

The only compact left, and better for it
By BR

2008 Ford Ranger Regular Cab XL 2dr Regular Cab Styleside SB (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

This was my first new vehicle, my first four cylinder, and my first stick shift. I made the right choice. I bought the truck because of what it was, basic, inexpensive, and frugal. The turn signal stalk split at the mold seam at 12,000 miles, but that's not a big deal. It's 2wd but it will make it through deep mud, just don't stop. I've got a K&N filer and a Flowmaster exhaust installed which added very usable low/mid range power. I'm not a Ford guy, I grew up in a GM household. This little truck grows on you, my dad even likes it. Not bad for an old design is it?

Decent power, ergonomics are spot on, handles curves better than it has a right to.

All season light truck tires as standard equipment on 4-cylinder models, not passenger car tires.