2008 Ford Ranger - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Ranger model:
After the new car glow
By JR on 05/06/10 03:35 AM (PDT)

2008 Ford Ranger FX4 Off-Road 4dr SuperCab 4WD Styleside SB (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

Wonderful to drive when the weather turns ugly, only thing that gives me trouble is sheer ice, with factory tires. With no load it rides rough, with @150 - 250 lbs of cargo it is a much improved ride. At a hair over 6' I have room to move the seat back to give myself more leg to peddle room, but I do not need it. Everything else is too cramped. If I have a passenger we are riding shoulder to shoulder. As a short commuter or weekend play vehicle it is wonderful. SADLY, as a full time ride for me, @350KM/220Mi/week, it is not a good choice. I choose to support Ford. I should have bought a Toyota to get the same qualities but with better comforts at a higher cost.

Who needs luxory
By Dr. Witt on 04/08/10 19:09 PM (PDT)

2008 Ford Ranger SPORT 2dr Regular Cab SB (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I love all these people that complain about how the ranger is simple and outdated. Technology means nothing when your vehicle is in the shop because the state of the art traction control system has a computer malfunction. This truck is always reliable because of its simplicity which is reflected in the low price. You can easily spend more money for a Toyota Tacoma but at the end of the day the ranger is more reliable and will get you from a to b for less money. They are also very easy to do self repairs on which also saves money. If you want luxury buy a lexus they cost just about the same as one of those loaded cushy f150s

Best value/most honest pick-up out there
By Kurt on 04/08/10 07:43 AM (PDT)

2008 Ford Ranger XL 2dr Regular Cab 4WD Styleside SB (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I purposely looked for and purchased a base XL 4WD regular cab pick-up. Mine came from a N.C. dealer who used E-bay as the primary sales tool. My expectations were rather low because of the heavily discounted price and the low equipment level, but I was happily surprised. For such an old design, the basic utility and honesty of this truck really stands out. I'm completely satisfied.

The best small truck PERIOD
By jtf on 12/27/09 04:58 AM (PST)

2008 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr SuperCab Styleside SB (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

This is my second ranger. There are 2 others rangers my family has (93&98).These trucks are tough and very reliable. The 2.3 DOHC and 5 spd are great choice 24mpg city and 27 highway and plenty of power( 3rd gear wheel spin). The other trucks have no rust and one has over 200,000 miles. I would have kept my 2001 ranger but I like the added interior space of the supercab.You can't buy a better small truck for the money... period

good truck
By Pat Bernier on 12/19/09 05:56 AM (PST)

2008 Ford Ranger SPORT 4dr SuperCab Styleside SB (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

MY Ranger is by far the most reliable new vehicle I have ever owned. Yes its dated and yes its much smaller than all other makes but lets face it most people under utilize their big trucks. I can pull over 6000lbs or throw a 4 wheeler in the back with no issues and my truck payment is only 460$ per month and cheep insurance to boot. I love my Ranger and would recommend one to anyone looking for a good truck that is inexpensive to own

The only compact left, and better for it
By BR on 08/29/09 00:15 AM (PDT)

2008 Ford Ranger XL 2dr Regular Cab Styleside SB (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

This was my first new vehicle, my first four cylinder, and my first stick shift. I made the right choice. I bought the truck because of what it was, basic, inexpensive, and frugal. The turn signal stalk split at the mold seam at 12,000 miles, but that's not a big deal. It's 2wd but it will make it through deep mud, just don't stop. I've got a K&N filer and a Flowmaster exhaust installed which added very usable low/mid range power. I'm not a Ford guy, I grew up in a GM household. This little truck grows on you, my dad even likes it. Not bad for an old design is it?

Ford Ranger 2008 Reg Cab 2W 6cyl
By Houston on 07/20/09 19:20 PM (PDT)

2008 Ford Ranger XL 2dr Regular Cab Styleside SB (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

Style is thick, brawny, efficient and descendant of the bull dog. Basic model does the job on hauling furniture, plants, groceries. wood, sod, bricks. No space is wasted Recommend that you get the electrical windows option; I installed after market windows and remote door locks and wished I had purchased the factory options with Ford. You should also protect your investment and get bedliner with Ford logo. The white paint is beautiful- like porcelein and reflects the 100 degree southern heat. For the low price, a very reliable and satisfactory long term investment. The MPG is really comparable to other 6 cylinder trucks as well as luxury cars! So you are in the ballpark.

Downsizing worked out!
By Norton on 07/17/09 16:10 PM (PDT)

2008 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr Regular Cab Styleside SB (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I sold my 2003 Dodge Ram Quad Cab 4 X 4 with Hemi & ordered my Ranger XLT 4 Banger with auto & all options. In short, I love this truck. Average 24 MPG, fun to drive and think Ford should put time & effort into the Ranger's future! I am a happy Ford Customer!

Best Work Truck On The Road
By Bug-Man on 07/14/09 20:38 PM (PDT)

2008 Ford Ranger SPORT 2dr SuperCab 4WD Styleside SB (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

If you do the reserch (actual consumer reviews)you will find the Ranger is far more reliable than the Tacoma or Chevy.Just wish it got a few more MPG's.A family member who works for Toyota has told me that Toyota's own internal quality testings show that in recent years Ford cars & trucks beats toyota's hands down!I cary apox. a 1000 pounds of equip.& get 17mpg.I did add a leaf spring. I get 21mpg unloaded.The king cab says it seat 5, lets get real unless its 5 skinny dwarfs you can seat 2 adults comfortablely.

Fine little truck
By Aaron on 06/14/09 21:13 PM (PDT)

2008 Ford Ranger XL 2dr Regular Cab Styleside SB (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this truck as a second vehicle primarily for haulings stuff w/o ruining my other car. I bought a really stripped down version of it (air and auto only) about 3 mos. ago, and have been really happy with it. The ride is stiff and the transmission is somewhat unrefined, but still this truck was a very economical solution to my needs. While the 4-cyl engine won't win any races, the low end torque enables the engine to come through when I'm really loaded up. The 4-cyl. is noisy, the truck is loose in the rear on wet pavement :), the air conditioning works well, but I have inadvertanly knocked the truck into neutral when reaching for the radio controls (bad layout). I would recommend it.

1 2 3 4 5 next »

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.