Used 2007 Ford Ranger SuperCab Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2007 Ford Ranger - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Ranger model:

2nd Time not as good as the first!
By 8point

2007 Ford Ranger SuperCab FX4 Off-Road 4dr SuperCab 4WD Styleside SB (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

This is my 2nd Ranger, 1st was a '95 4.0 STX. I like the extra room in the super cab and overall styling, but not the performance. 18 mpg highway (and I drive easy) and no low end hp or torque. My '95 was 10 times better in low gear off road and got 23+mpg to boot. I don't feel the extra hp (47) from the new engine and gas mileage flat out stinks for a V6 of this size. I've got friends with big diesels that get almost the same mileage with twice the performance! As stated by Edmunds, the truck's strong point is off-road, so why give it an engine that produces it's power above 3,500 rpm?! Have had no mechanical/service issues with the truck in the first year of ownership.

Favorite Features

Smaller wheelbase is nice off-road. Can't decide if I like the torsion bar suspension yet. Definitely not lift friendly for off-road mods. 4.10 gears are a must with this engine to get any acceptable performance. Can't imagine this truck with 3.55 gearing - would it even make it off the line?

Suggested Improvements

More lower end torque and hp. Better MPG. Real back seats. Manual locking hubs. If Ranger is a real off-road truck, give us real off-road features. Don't get me wrong, I'm a Ford guy, but really disappointed in some aspects of this truck compared to my previous Ranger.

Great Truck!
By cabuco2006

I love the way this truck rides and handles. It can take a beating and the 4x4 is something you need, especially in New England winters. I've gotten as high as 25.6 mpg in the summer. It's preety good on gas for a 4.0 v-6 compared to other competitors 4.0's. I reccomend this truck for some one that want a truck that can get low to moderate jobs done.

Favorite Features

Skid plates, massive tow hooks, big bed for a small truck and there is hardly no blind spot like a car or SUV.

Suggested Improvements

More horsepower,4 door for more people. I think it would sell more if they had 4 doors. It could use an update, but it is nice to have a classic interior

Drive it, you'll like it!
By hal jolly

2007 Ford Ranger SuperCab XL 2dr SuperCab Styleside SB (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I got it to save fuel. It gets 24 to 29.5. Most of the time I get over 26.5. Runs out good,rides good and handles great. Only holds 4 quarts of oil. Saves money going and coming.

Favorite Features

Fuel mileage, cost of operation and drive. Handles, hauls and pulls.

Suggested Improvements

Six speed transmission. More options with the 2.3 liter 4 cylinder.

Great Little Truck
By bisjoe

2007 Ford Ranger SuperCab XLT 4dr SuperCab 4WD Styleside SB (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

Very reliable so far, comfortable, plenty of power for hauling yet easy to park. Decent gas mileage getting 16/22 better than advertised.

Favorite Features

4WD, lots of power

Beware-Front End problems
By Ron

2007 Ford Ranger SuperCab SPORT 4dr SuperCab 4WD Styleside SB (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

My new Ranger has been in the shop 13 times in one year - 7 times in the past 2 months-Only has 15,000 km. Problems started first month-serious clunking in the steering in mid-turn & when accelerating from stop.Inner Tie rod ends have been replaced 4 times in 2 monthsc- last ones were Ford's new/improved ones, as a result of TS Bulletins and serious problems. Also had intermediate shaft replaced twice and lower steering shaft once. Finally no clunking - only been a week - I am wary. Dealer told me several other owners have the same problem. Ford avoiding a recall? In my mid-40s, owned 28 vehicles all makes...never had such an unreliable piece of metal in the driveway (and I am a Ford fan).

Favorite Features

Good side is nice power from the 4.0L V6, easily tows, comfortable seats, quiet highway ride, lots of equip for great price. Solid feel (except front end!).

Suggested Improvements

Front end faulty from factory - have a recall Ford! Mileage is horrible for a small truck/V6. Traded my 05 Hemi Ram - Ram=21 (Cdn gallon) mpg on hwy Rgr gets 19 mpg hwy - ouch. Reliability, Ford cust service from Ford HQ - no answers. Parts availability - waited 2 weeks between each set of tie rods.