2007 Ford Ranger Consumer Review: 2nd Time not as good as the fi

2007 Ford Ranger - Consumer Review

FX4 Off-Road SuperCab (4.0L V6 4x4 5-speed Manual 6.0 ft. Bed)

2nd Time not as good as the first!
By 8point on

2007 Ford Ranger FX4 Off-Road 4dr SuperCab 4WD Styleside SB (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

This is my 2nd Ranger, 1st was a '95 4.0 STX. I like the extra room in the super cab and overall styling, but not the performance. 18 mpg highway (and I drive easy) and no low end hp or torque. My '95 was 10 times better in low gear off road and got 23+mpg to boot. I don't feel the extra hp (47) from the new engine and gas mileage flat out stinks for a V6 of this size. I've got friends with big diesels that get almost the same mileage with twice the performance! As stated by Edmunds, the truck's strong point is off-road, so why give it an engine that produces it's power above 3,500 rpm?! Have had no mechanical/service issues with the truck in the first year of ownership.

Smaller wheelbase is nice off-road. Can't decide if I like the torsion bar suspension yet. Definitely not lift friendly for off-road mods. 4.10 gears are a must with this engine to get any acceptable performance. Can't imagine this truck with 3.55 gearing - would it even make it off the line?

More lower end torque and hp. Better MPG. Real back seats. Manual locking hubs. If Ranger is a real off-road truck, give us real off-road features. Don't get me wrong, I'm a Ford guy, but really disappointed in some aspects of this truck compared to my previous Ranger.