Used 2007 Ford Ranger XL Regular Cab Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2007 Ford Ranger - Consumer Reviews

2007 Ford Ranger Regular Cab

View reviews for a specific Ranger model:

Back on Top Again
By Ford Family Man

2007 Ford Ranger Regular Cab XL 2dr Regular Cab Styleside SB (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this truck used. I had a 1991 Ranger that was pretty worn out and would finally start needing some repairs so I bought this one. Previously a fleet vehicle I was impressed with all that I got for 11,500 dollars. XL truck, but with 5 speed auto, and 4.10 axle ratio, extras were A/C (necessary in Ohio) and an under-rail bed liner. It had a little over 18000 miles on it. I work in a scrap yard and needed a solid truck. That's just what I got with fuel economy averaging 23-28mpg combined city/highway. Drives like a bigger truck and so quick too; especially for a four cyl. engine. Much stronger than my 1991's 2.3liter. No serious rattles, and white so scratches are not an issue.

Favorite Features

Cup holders are standard on all trucks, great stock bed liner. Far better fuel economy than driving the F-250 I used to use when I needed a truck. Fun to drive. My wife even likes driving because she can see all the way around. Excellent and responsive ABS brakes.

Suggested Improvements

None. I needed a truck, not a luxury car, already bought one of those for my wife. No need for that in a vehicle that gets dirty and used like what it is, a truck plain and simple.

Go Ford or go home
By my_07_ranger

2007 Ford Ranger Regular Cab XL 2dr Regular Cab Styleside SB (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I have the 2.3l 5spd standard and I love driving it. It has good take off for a 4 cylinder truck. I have 21,000 miles on it and the only time it see the shop is for its regular oil changes. I get well over 34 miles to the gallon. Overall I like this truck and to think I was going to buy a Cavalier

Favorite Features

I don't have a favorite feature other then the 5 speed transmission because I bought this truck bone stock no options

Suggested Improvements

Bucket seats in the single cab 5 speed because you can't use the middle seat anyway

Fun
By Matt

2007 Ford Ranger Regular Cab XL 2dr Regular Cab Styleside SB (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I'll be completely honest here! I have a bare bones 2007 ford Ranger no AC, no CD, no tilt, no power anything, and 5 speed. I love it! I commuted about 50-60 km a day each way so roughly 100- 120 a day km and I still only fuel up about every 5-6 days! I'm not talking babying it down the road, I'm talking about putting my foot down and opening it up.I do my regular oil changes and tire rotation and one year and about 25,000 kms later is has yet to fail me! Again I'll be honest, you want power and size in a small truck? Get a Dakota. If you want reliablity and wicked MPG definitely get a Ranger.

Favorite Features

Far and away the manual 5 speed feature! I just love dropping gears in this little unit and blowing by people. Comfortable ride as well.

Suggested Improvements

I put mud flaps on myself and i think it made a nice improvement so maybe that. Also full size spare would be nice

Small truck
By Choose 5

2007 Ford Ranger Regular Cab XL 2dr Regular Cab Styleside SB (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

Peppy 4 cylinder, suspension stiff which is OK by me, great gas mileage (avg 28, 30+ highway), drive a lot of dirt roads and no rattles after 10k. Old design, but smallness helps with gas mileage. Seats are great but I'm 5'8". Ride height good. I'll keep it until I die (am 56). I'm a Ford family.

Favorite Features

AC feels like it could do my house, torquey engine, great gas mileage is an understatement, fun to drive, the 6 ft bed is OK by me, wanted a LB but nothing in region late in year. Besides, I'll just pay someone to deliver heavy stuff. That's the way we're all headed. Quiet interior.

Suggested Improvements

I've owned alot of 4 cylinders, and the engine vibration of the 2.3 is excessive. The 20W oil seems awfully light. Time will tell, eh?

Excellent Ford Ranger
By Rochester, N.Y.

2007 Ford Ranger Regular Cab XL 2dr Regular Cab Styleside SB (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

Purchased as a no frills work truck package. Love the dark grey color. It sits high so I can see above the traffic. I love this truck and its American soul. It drives like a truck, it sounds like a truck, it handles like a truck. I wouldn't have it any other way.

Favorite Features

New aggressive looking grill, High riding stance, smooth shifting five speed manual transmission. Capable four cylinder engine, good gas mileage, handles well in snow, the abs braking is a winner. Love the strong heater and capable air conditioner.

Suggested Improvements

Put meshing behind the new more open grill to prevent foreign objects from entering. Standard splash guards, full spare tire.