Great Basic Truck
By Chris on
2006 Ford Ranger XL 2dr Regular Cab Styleside SB (2.3L 4cyl 5M)
My reason for buying this vehicle was the sudden death of an older vehicle and my frequent need to borrow one of my friend's trucks. I was expecting a very unrefined vehicle that I could load a bunch of stuff in and get mediocre fuel economy (my other working vehicle is a diesel Jetta). This truck still in break in but gets about 34 real world mpg if driven/shifted in a manner that keeps the engine between 2k-3k rpms (torque band). Thats about 70% city driving. The power could be better but for what it is I'm not complaining. I got this truck new for about $13500 with 100k extended warranty.
Favorite Features
Very good on gas ~34mpg with sensible driving. Built in a strong, quality manner. For $13,500 with a 100k bumper to bumper you can't beat this truck and the gas mileage is about the same as a small car for the same price.
Suggested Improvements
Better speakers. Odd headlight pattern (I'm used to German cars so a blob of light on road may be normal for domestics). Smoother clutch engage (once again I'm used to German vehicles so this may be normal). A light over the bed. For the price these things are overlooked. No diesel option.