2006 Ford Ranger - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Ranger model:
Never again
By Pat on 01/10/09 12:28 PM (PST)

2006 Ford Ranger XLT 4dr SuperCab 4WD Styleside SB (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

Bought my truck used 1 year ago with 12,000 miles on it. Just got back from my 5th visit to the dealer to have it repaired. Once for 4X4 transfer switch breaking, 3 times for transmission leak, and once for blown shock (the truck hauls air and has never pulled a trailer) and a clogged fuel filter. All with less than 24,000 miles. Oh, I have to go back next week to have the shock installed. The dealer had to order it. What's sad is that I really like the style and size of the truck. It's perfect for my needs, but I'm not going to have it spend as much time in my garage as it does as the dealers.

Transmission Trouble
By BudZ on 01/08/09 20:04 PM (PST)

2006 Ford Ranger XL 2dr Regular Cab Styleside SB (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I have had pretty good luck with the truck until it hit 34000 miles. The tailgate handle broke and the transmission began slipping on the auto. Luckily it is under warranty. The dealership had to rebuild the transmission at a cost to them of $2500. I hope this is not a sign of things to come. My warranty runs out at 36000 miles.

Great Truck!
By Terry on 12/28/08 19:34 PM (PST)

2006 Ford Ranger XL 2dr Regular Cab Styleside LB (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I love the little truck. With a 4 cylinder engine, I can only wish that it had more torque. I shouldn't complain when I'm getting about 29 miles to a gallon on the highway.

Average American Vehicle
By James on 11/20/08 15:02 PM (PST)

2006 Ford Ranger XLT 4dr SuperCab Styleside SB (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

Gas mileage should be better. I had to pay for jack bolts to be installed so the front end could be aligned. These items used to be installed at the factory. Neither Ford or the dealer would assist with the expense. the front end could not be aligned without this $200 expense at 8000 miles. I will consider a Toyota or Honda for my next truck.

It's a blast
By shorty6 on 09/29/08 19:37 PM (PDT)

2006 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr SuperCab Styleside SB (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I looked at Toy's but design is quircky. I'm 6'3"& easily fit behind wheel in Ranger. I run 30K/yr. When I need to haul heavy, this is the truck! Ride is very good with 100# or more in the bed, kinda choppy without a load but it is a truck. 4 cyl. is 143hp, yahooo! It gets on the hiway fast, stops on a dime, 27-29 mpg, blows away other trucks ie Nissan, Chevy Colorado, Toys in price!, in value!, in economy!, in performance!, in maintanence cost! My '98 Ranger gave me 218,000 miles. The difference in price to competition buys an awful lot of fuel and repairs if any. At 100K, I only have standard maintainence. Ford will lose me if Ranger go's away. I love its big hp in small package, blastoff!

We need a Ranger Hybrid
By Hank on 06/29/08 14:02 PM (PDT)

2006 Ford Ranger XL 2dr Regular Cab Styleside SB (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I love this truck. I purchased it brand new with 8 miles on it. Now I am somewhere near 35000 miles on it. It is a 4 cyl, I am getting 26.5 miles on average miles per gallon. I think Ford should make these trucks in a hybrid version with 4 cylinder engine. In fact an electric plug in Ranger would be ideal. My next vehicle and my wife's will be a hybrid or somehing more efficient. If I have to I will build my own electric Ranger

Great truck
By ed on 05/25/08 03:52 AM (PDT)

2006 Ford Ranger SPORT 4dr SuperCab Styleside SB (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I bought this truck used, and so far I love it. It drives great, I get 21.7 mpg so far. Just look around and you can see all the rangers still on the road. I'm a tall guy and can stretch out all the way. This one is loaded with everything so complaints.

Best value for money
By SurfCity on 01/04/08 09:32 AM (PST)

2006 Ford Ranger SPORT 2dr Regular Cab SB (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I bought an 06 Ranger sport model which my son uses to go surfing, camping, and I use when I need a truck. No problems after 2 yrs. Sharp styling, and is priced considerably below Toyota, Nissan. I bought the truck for the price listed in the newspaper. Good handling, no frills, but good functional truck and best for the money on the market. Sport model with extended cab is very popular with younger crowd.

I Love My Ranger So Much
By deekellan on 11/24/07 18:46 PM (PST)

2006 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 4dr SuperCab 4WD Styleside SB (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

I traded a Hyundai Elantra for this truck and I've never been happier! The extended cab is perfect for my work things (backpack, jacket, lunch),the body looks great. People compliment me on it all the time. The flared fenders really add some dirt cred to its stance, not like it needs it, but it still adds to the look. Driving it is just plain fun. On the street it's civilized but the Billstein shocks make their presence known a bit, and that's a good thing. It doesn't "ride" like a car at all, but yet doesn't bounce unnecessarily. Off-road you can really feel its purpose. Nothing stops this truck.It performs and looks great. What else can you want from a truck?

Good truck, great old time engineering
By Shook on 05/27/07 16:57 PM (PDT)

2006 Ford Ranger SPORT 4dr SuperCab 4WD Styleside SB (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

This is about my 5th Ranger had them from '83 to '06, including a rare Ranger GT. This is by far the best. I have the 4:10 posi rear, with the 4.0 automatic. The truck is very responsive, steering feels great with the rack and pinion, and rides nice with the torsion bar front end. Overall the older engineering to me is just well proven, like the dash borrowed from 95 era explorer, simple, functional, and reliable. The rugged looks of this truck are unbeatable. I've had it for over a year now and have had zero problems. Sadly I think these Rangers are last of a breed, Ford will be forced to downsize the engines due to emmissions regs, and probably change the body and frame setups.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.