Used 2006 Ford Ranger SuperCab Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Ford Ranger - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Ranger model:

Solid truck- Ranger Extended cab 2006 XL V6 3.0 2WD
By meatdowntown

2006 Ford Ranger SuperCab XL 2dr SuperCab Styleside SB (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I considered my 2006 ranger a solid truck. I am not impressed with the mileage, but I think I can live with it. I should have bought a 4x4 if I knew they were going to go out of the market, but oh well. I was ready to trade it in about two months ago and realized that the only competitors (Toyota and Nissan) have the same problems with fuel economy and dated models. They have added fun stuff like USB ports, etc but cruise control is still optional? That is kind of crazy. Pros: It handles well on the highway, low price compared to the Japanese models, cheap repairs. Cons: no cruise control, no steering wheel with positions adjustment, questionable fuel economy, clunky ride, bad brakes.

It's a truck.
By kdub989

2006 Ford Ranger SuperCab XLT 2dr SuperCab Styleside SB (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

Bought mine used off Clist. Love my truck! The 4cyl isn't fast on steep grades but neither am I. However, with the 4cyl and 5spd, I'm averaging 29.5mpg combined and 32.2mpg hwy and that's running the a/c and with a Leer canopy. The truck is very quiet and comfortable that we prefer to take it on long road trips instead of our honda, subaru or dodge caliber. Our ranger is a 2wd but I installed a powertrax no-slip in the rear end and off road it's fantastic. I've pulled a small utility trailer with 2 motorcycles on it with no problems. I've had zero problems with our truck. It handles well on windy twisty back roads and is a great truck for exploring those same roads.

Favorite Features

Ride quality, quiet cab, gas mileage, comfortable, reliable, will haul what ever we need. The cab is roomy enough. Cheap to maintain and insure.

Suggested Improvements

This truck has the XLT package and all the power options but still doesn't have adjustable lumbar support and would have liked the auto dimming mirror. The gas mileage is superb with the 4cyl, 5speed combo but would be nice if the 4cyl had a bit more torque and at a lower rpm. It's quite usable as is but ........ Wish the headlights were a bit brighter.

Awesome Little Truck
By Pbennett

2006 Ford Ranger SuperCab XLT 4dr SuperCab Styleside SB (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

After looking at new trucks and suffering sticker shock, I started looking at used trucks and I was still shocked! The prices they wanted for Toyotas and Nissan trucks was outrageous. I knew I was just buying a name, since my research shows that the Ford trucks were either better or on par with any Japanese truck. I bought my 2006 Ranger XLT SuperCab for $10,000. It had 43,000 miles on it and came with the reliable, Vulcan 3.0 V6. Yes, the Ranger is dated but Ford has worked 99% of the Bugs out of this truck line. I don't need a Godzilla Truck with a Godzilla price tag, to haul brush, furniture, my dead deer and me to work everyday! This is a super truck no matter how you look at it!

Favorite Features

* Its a Ford. * Super Reliable Vulcan 3.0 Engine. * 4dr Supercab * It feels like a Truck. * The throaty sound from the Flowmaster Exhaust. * The Growl from the Volant Cold Air Intake.

Suggested Improvements

* Better Gas Mileage. * Drive and Passenger side airbags.

great and fun truck
By mtaylorjr

2006 Ford Ranger SuperCab SPORT 2dr SuperCab 4WD Styleside SB (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

This is my second ranger I have owned. I love this truck, its fun to drive and is fun to play with in the mud

Favorite Features

General look about the truck

Suggested Improvements

passing power would be great.

workhorse 2nd vehicle
By Tom W

2006 Ford Ranger SuperCab XL 2dr SuperCab Styleside SB (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I bought a new Demo KIA Optima and found the trunk space so lacking that when I saw this little Ranger I bought it without haggling. Great, and since I bought it the KIA just sits and waits with a now dead battery. I find the 2.3 L I-4 lacking in power, but a change of air filter worked wonders, as did dropping TWO tire sizes when I had to replace the tires. MUCH easier and simpler to drive. My one complaint is the clunky manual five speed, and I don't think they make a good one, they all share the same shortcomings. Mileage for such a small engine is so- so. I feel it ought to be better. Otherwise this is a darn good little truck. I note the new ones now offer ONLY two engines

Favorite Features

What you see is what you get. most popular options are standard. A/S, power steering, decent stereo, very nice heater with infinite control.

Suggested Improvements

Even with power, steering could be lighter, I think Ford engineers these things to feel like bigger trucks at the expense of driving ease. Maintenance for 20,000 miles has been ZERO, not even windshield wipers. Just oil and filters. (and tires)