Used 2006 Ford Ranger XL Regular Cab Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Ford Ranger - Consumer Reviews

2006 Ford Ranger Regular Cab

View reviews for a specific Ranger model:

Left me Stranded again
By MikeZ

2006 Ford Ranger Regular Cab XL 2dr Regular Cab Styleside SB (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

My ranger has 36500 miles on it and the air-flow sensor broke on it leaving me stranded before work. The warranty ran out at 36000 so I had to pay for everything. (towing, engine work). At 35000 miles the transmission had to be rebuilt. Luckily the dealership took care of that. I just don't trust it anymore. I'm trading it in.

Nice little truck
By Shane

2006 Ford Ranger Regular Cab XL 2dr Regular Cab Styleside SB (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I went from an old F-150 to this, and being 6'3" it was definitely as step down in size. That being said, I fit in it and it gets a lot more mpg's than my last truck. It is quiet and fun to drive.

Favorite Features

The nice seats (gray and black, don't need covers) and the included bed-liner. Everyone complains about the black plastic bumpers, but I like the design. They don't need to be fancy, just do their job.

Suggested Improvements

It feels a little underpowered (going up hills at 65 mph). It is only 4 cylinders, so I have to keep in mind I'm driving something with half the power as my last truck. I would make the door handles more sturdy. They just feel cheap, like they are going to break.

Transmission Trouble
By BudZ

2006 Ford Ranger Regular Cab XL 2dr Regular Cab Styleside SB (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I have had pretty good luck with the truck until it hit 34000 miles. The tailgate handle broke and the transmission began slipping on the auto. Luckily it is under warranty. The dealership had to rebuild the transmission at a cost to them of $2500. I hope this is not a sign of things to come. My warranty runs out at 36000 miles.

Suggested Improvements

Replace the cheap plastic exterior parts with quality chrome.

We need a Ranger Hybrid
By Hank

2006 Ford Ranger Regular Cab XL 2dr Regular Cab Styleside SB (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I love this truck. I purchased it brand new with 8 miles on it. Now I am somewhere near 35000 miles on it. It is a 4 cyl, I am getting 26.5 miles on average miles per gallon. I think Ford should make these trucks in a hybrid version with 4 cylinder engine. In fact an electric plug in Ranger would be ideal. My next vehicle and my wife's will be a hybrid or somehing more efficient. If I have to I will build my own electric Ranger

Favorite Features

Good work truck for using to work around the house. Good size for homeowner who has to commute.

Suggested Improvements

4cy hybrid Ranger, or all electric plug in. I know you can do it. America knows you can do it.

Cheap Ranger
By Danny

2006 Ford Ranger Regular Cab XL 2dr Regular Cab Styleside SB (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

OK, I purchased a Ford Ranger in the worst year for Ford. I previously owned a 2003 Ranger XL. I liked the little truck, but it just would not move. I moved to big truck, but found the gas mileage to be too bad. I went back and found a used 2006 Ranger XL with 2500 miles. This truck is much better than my 2003. It has the same motor, but the gearing must have changed. It still gets moderate gas mileage (I hope it gets better after 10,000 miles and the motor breaks in.) Ford did a much better job with the seats. I still have vinyl, but they sit much better. The transmission shifts smoother. Overall the 2006 is much better than the 2003.

Favorite Features

Gas mileage and price. For the money you can't find a better small truck that will perform this well and get 25- 27 mpg.

Suggested Improvements

I really do not like the oversized rear Ford emblem on the tailgate. Unfortunately they bolted it on, so no removing it.