2006 Ford Ranger Regular Cab - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Ranger model:
Left me Stranded again
By MikeZ on 04/10/09 16:54 PM (PDT)

2006 Ford Ranger Regular Cab XL 2dr Regular Cab Styleside SB (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

My ranger has 36500 miles on it and the air-flow sensor broke on it leaving me stranded before work. The warranty ran out at 36000 so I had to pay for everything. (towing, engine work). At 35000 miles the transmission had to be rebuilt. Luckily the dealership took care of that. I just don't trust it anymore. I'm trading it in.

Nice little truck
By Shane on 02/26/09 22:38 PM (PST)

2006 Ford Ranger Regular Cab XL 2dr Regular Cab Styleside SB (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I went from an old F-150 to this, and being 6'3" it was definitely as step down in size. That being said, I fit in it and it gets a lot more mpg's than my last truck. It is quiet and fun to drive.

Transmission Trouble
By BudZ on 01/08/09 20:04 PM (PST)

2006 Ford Ranger Regular Cab XL 2dr Regular Cab Styleside SB (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I have had pretty good luck with the truck until it hit 34000 miles. The tailgate handle broke and the transmission began slipping on the auto. Luckily it is under warranty. The dealership had to rebuild the transmission at a cost to them of $2500. I hope this is not a sign of things to come. My warranty runs out at 36000 miles.

We need a Ranger Hybrid
By Hank on 06/29/08 14:02 PM (PDT)

2006 Ford Ranger Regular Cab XL 2dr Regular Cab Styleside SB (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I love this truck. I purchased it brand new with 8 miles on it. Now I am somewhere near 35000 miles on it. It is a 4 cyl, I am getting 26.5 miles on average miles per gallon. I think Ford should make these trucks in a hybrid version with 4 cylinder engine. In fact an electric plug in Ranger would be ideal. My next vehicle and my wife's will be a hybrid or somehing more efficient. If I have to I will build my own electric Ranger

Cheap Ranger
By Danny on 02/11/07 08:35 AM (PST)

2006 Ford Ranger Regular Cab XL 2dr Regular Cab Styleside SB (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

OK, I purchased a Ford Ranger in the worst year for Ford. I previously owned a 2003 Ranger XL. I liked the little truck, but it just would not move. I moved to big truck, but found the gas mileage to be too bad. I went back and found a used 2006 Ranger XL with 2500 miles. This truck is much better than my 2003. It has the same motor, but the gearing must have changed. It still gets moderate gas mileage (I hope it gets better after 10,000 miles and the motor breaks in.) Ford did a much better job with the seats. I still have vinyl, but they sit much better. The transmission shifts smoother. Overall the 2006 is much better than the 2003.

Ranger provides basic transportation & utility
By Scott Cormier on 02/05/07 18:47 PM (PST)

2006 Ford Ranger Regular Cab XL 2dr Regular Cab Styleside SB (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

Overall I'm very pleased with my new Ranger XL. I owned a 98 model previously and my experience with that truck was certainly a determining factor in this purchase. Admittedly, the performance of the 2.3L I4 is a bit sluggish; however, what it lacks in pickup it more than makes up for in fuel economy, especially when paired with the stick shift (I've actually averaged 30 mpg a few times). The exterior is more business like than beautiful; which suits my needs. Rugged stout build provides a less than smooth ride but reassuringly capability (hey! it's a work truck!). Excellent reliability so far and as a mechanic I can say; it's all a matter of proper maintenance and not abusing the vehicle.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.