2006 Ford Ranger - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Ranger model:
Solid truck- Ranger Extended cab 2006 XL V6 3.0 2WD
By meatdowntown on 08/23/14 19:38 PM (PDT)

2006 Ford Ranger XL 2dr SuperCab Styleside SB (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I considered my 2006 ranger a solid truck. I am not impressed with the mileage, but I think I can live with it. I should have bought a 4x4 if I knew they were going to go out of the market, but oh well. I was ready to trade it in about two months ago and realized that the only competitors (Toyota and Nissan) have the same problems with fuel economy and dated models. They have added fun stuff like USB ports, etc but cruise control is still optional? That is kind of crazy. Pros: It handles well on the highway, low price compared to the Japanese models, cheap repairs. Cons: no cruise control, no steering wheel with positions adjustment, questionable fuel economy, clunky ride, bad brakes.

It's a truck.
By kdub989 on 10/18/12 10:39 AM (PDT)

2006 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr SuperCab Styleside SB (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

Bought mine used off Clist. Love my truck! The 4cyl isn't fast on steep grades but neither am I. However, with the 4cyl and 5spd, I'm averaging 29.5mpg combined and 32.2mpg hwy and that's running the a/c and with a Leer canopy. The truck is very quiet and comfortable that we prefer to take it on long road trips instead of our honda, subaru or dodge caliber. Our ranger is a 2wd but I installed a powertrax no-slip in the rear end and off road it's fantastic. I've pulled a small utility trailer with 2 motorcycles on it with no problems. I've had zero problems with our truck. It handles well on windy twisty back roads and is a great truck for exploring those same roads.

Awesome Little Truck
By Pbennett on 09/02/10 17:11 PM (PDT)

2006 Ford Ranger XLT 4dr SuperCab Styleside SB (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

After looking at new trucks and suffering sticker shock, I started looking at used trucks and I was still shocked! The prices they wanted for Toyotas and Nissan trucks was outrageous. I knew I was just buying a name, since my research shows that the Ford trucks were either better or on par with any Japanese truck. I bought my 2006 Ranger XLT SuperCab for $10,000. It had 43,000 miles on it and came with the reliable, Vulcan 3.0 V6. Yes, the Ranger is dated but Ford has worked 99% of the Bugs out of this truck line. I don't need a Godzilla Truck with a Godzilla price tag, to haul brush, furniture, my dead deer and me to work everyday! This is a super truck no matter how you look at it!

great and fun truck
By mtaylorjr on 02/08/10 19:13 PM (PST)

2006 Ford Ranger SPORT 2dr SuperCab 4WD Styleside SB (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

This is my second ranger I have owned. I love this truck, its fun to drive and is fun to play with in the mud

Edmunds
By Bart Mormino on 12/31/09 07:04 AM (PST)

2006 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr Regular Cab Styleside SB (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

Reliable,clean looking,functional. Poor fuel mileage,tires were to small, constantly losing traction,235-75-15 work better than 215-70-15. Rough ride. Transmission always tries to find itself.

workhorse 2nd vehicle
By Tom W on 12/19/09 09:38 AM (PST)

2006 Ford Ranger XL 2dr SuperCab Styleside SB (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I bought a new Demo KIA Optima and found the trunk space so lacking that when I saw this little Ranger I bought it without haggling. Great, and since I bought it the KIA just sits and waits with a now dead battery. I find the 2.3 L I-4 lacking in power, but a change of air filter worked wonders, as did dropping TWO tire sizes when I had to replace the tires. MUCH easier and simpler to drive. My one complaint is the clunky manual five speed, and I don't think they make a good one, they all share the same shortcomings. Mileage for such a small engine is so- so. I feel it ought to be better. Otherwise this is a darn good little truck. I note the new ones now offer ONLY two engines

Left me Stranded again
By MikeZ on 04/10/09 16:54 PM (PDT)

2006 Ford Ranger XL 2dr Regular Cab Styleside SB (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

My ranger has 36500 miles on it and the air-flow sensor broke on it leaving me stranded before work. The warranty ran out at 36000 so I had to pay for everything. (towing, engine work). At 35000 miles the transmission had to be rebuilt. Luckily the dealership took care of that. I just don't trust it anymore. I'm trading it in.

Overall great truck
By Jason on 03/04/09 19:53 PM (PST)

2006 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr SuperCab 4WD Styleside SB (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

This truck is one little machine, it does whatever i would like it to, great in the snowy winters in Wisconsin, the interior could be changed since its been the same for many years but thats not a big problem with me. Its just to bad i had to give it back since my lease was up and the buyout was to much. But i replaced it with and 2005 FX4 Ranger

Nice little truck
By Shane on 02/26/09 22:38 PM (PST)

2006 Ford Ranger XL 2dr Regular Cab Styleside SB (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I went from an old F-150 to this, and being 6'3" it was definitely as step down in size. That being said, I fit in it and it gets a lot more mpg's than my last truck. It is quiet and fun to drive.

I show mine in car shows
By ghost ranger on 01/24/09 13:49 PM (PST)

2006 Ford Ranger SPORT 2dr Regular Cab 4WD SB (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I love my truck I have been showing in car shows for three years. It is fun to drive and runs good.I think that Ford is wrong for stopping production on them. I have had six new cars since 1999. This is the only one I would buy over again but I can't because there not going to make it anymore. I am sure I am not the only one.

1 2 3 4 5 next »

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.