Used 2006 Ford Ranger Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Ford Ranger - Consumer Reviews

2006 Ford Ranger

View reviews for a specific Ranger model:

Left me Stranded again
By MikeZ

2006 Ford Ranger XL 2dr Regular Cab Styleside SB (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

My ranger has 36500 miles on it and the air-flow sensor broke on it leaving me stranded before work. The warranty ran out at 36000 so I had to pay for everything. (towing, engine work). At 35000 miles the transmission had to be rebuilt. Luckily the dealership took care of that. I just don't trust it anymore. I'm trading it in.

Former Ford Employee
By Mike

2006 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr SuperCab 4WD Styleside SB (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

Some minor dashboard build issues, especially the cover for the passenger airbag and the instrument panel -- only stopped getting loose via lock-tite. Seats are basic in the XLT model, but this is a small pickup; sufficient though. Initially I turned the cigarette lighter thinking it was the volume, several times switched it to 4X4 high trying to increase the volume as well, took a little getting used to. Base stereo is very good, no issues with any CDs. When I worked for Ford as a Service Writer people complained that it would not play certain CDs; must say I've had no problems, even going over good sized bumps in the road -- no skipping.

Favorite Features

Heater is beyond magnificent. 5 minutes down the road in sub-zero weather and you are warm, that's great when you live in Montana. Ride is very nice on asphalt. Very smooth and quiet.

Suggested Improvements

I wish the grille had mesh between the rungs similar to the "nostrils," octagonal inserts. Bugs, stones, BIRDS, and other damage will eventually hinder the radiator's ability to cool leading to other issues later during ownership.

Average American Vehicle
By James

2006 Ford Ranger XLT 4dr SuperCab Styleside SB (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

Gas mileage should be better. I had to pay for jack bolts to be installed so the front end could be aligned. These items used to be installed at the factory. Neither Ford or the dealer would assist with the expense. the front end could not be aligned without this $200 expense at 8000 miles. I will consider a Toyota or Honda for my next truck.

Favorite Features

Taller doors for ease of entry than found on most small trucks.

Suggested Improvements

If Ford or their dealers are not going to repair or replace items not installed at the factory or honor warranty repairs then they should not be allowed to sell and advertise these products.

Never again
By Pat

2006 Ford Ranger XLT 4dr SuperCab 4WD Styleside SB (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

Bought my truck used 1 year ago with 12,000 miles on it. Just got back from my 5th visit to the dealer to have it repaired. Once for 4X4 transfer switch breaking, 3 times for transmission leak, and once for blown shock (the truck hauls air and has never pulled a trailer) and a clogged fuel filter. All with less than 24,000 miles. Oh, I have to go back next week to have the shock installed. The dealer had to order it. What's sad is that I really like the style and size of the truck. It's perfect for my needs, but I'm not going to have it spend as much time in my garage as it does as the dealers.

Favorite Features

Style, size, radio, heater. A nicely put up truck.

Suggested Improvements

Fuel economy, plus problems noted in my review. I may have got a lemon, but I notice that Consumer Reports rates this model as a used vehicle to stay away from. I wish I would have read that article before I bought.

Transmission Trouble
By BudZ

2006 Ford Ranger XL 2dr Regular Cab Styleside SB (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I have had pretty good luck with the truck until it hit 34000 miles. The tailgate handle broke and the transmission began slipping on the auto. Luckily it is under warranty. The dealership had to rebuild the transmission at a cost to them of $2500. I hope this is not a sign of things to come. My warranty runs out at 36000 miles.

Suggested Improvements

Replace the cheap plastic exterior parts with quality chrome.