2005 Ford Ranger - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Ranger model:
2004 Ford Ranger SuperCab 4Litre 4x4
By FMD on 03/31/05 18:51 PM (PST)

2005 Ford Ranger 2dr SuperCab XLT 4WD Styleside SB (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

I bought this truck after looking at vehicles for about 2 months. It was the best deal out there. Anyways, so far I really like it. Goes great in the snow even with the open rear. Shift on the fly is cool for 4WD. Also awesome handling offroad. On the road, has good handling. Although, the truck shakes a lot when you hit a medium sized bump at any speed above 30MPH. A little weight in the bed does a good job dampening that down though. Gas mileage leaves a bit to be desired. I average about 17MPG mostly city driving. Not the greatest, not the worst either. Dependability has been good, always starts. Had a transmission problem at 5000 miles. Dealer fixed. Other than that love my truck! :o)

50,000 miles with my FX4 4WD Ford Ranger
By Fred on 03/25/05 22:14 PM (PST)

2005 Ford Ranger 4dr SuperCab FX4 Level II 4WD Styleside SB (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

I have put 50,000 miles on my truck, including some serious low range 4WD on old mining roads. The original shocks stink, I replaced them with Rancho Adjustables which vastly improved the handling. I use my Ranger for work and play. The truck with the lumbar adjustable seats is reasonably comfortable for a long day's drive. I have had no problems what so ever with it. Would I buy another one? Probably, it's good value for the money.

Car Person's Review.
By Michael on 03/24/05 10:39 AM (PST)

2005 Ford Ranger 4dr SuperCab FX4 Off-Road 4WD Styleside SB (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

The ranger is a nice truck for certain people. I like the truck but really did not fall in love with it like I thought. I should have stuck with a car or looked around more. The truck has a lot of interior room and a lot of power, great sound system, great high seating compared to other trucks I seen on the road. If you want to stick out though I would not get this.

Ford Tough
By cb_spiering on 02/27/05 23:46 PM (PST)

2005 Ford Ranger 4dr SuperCab XLT 4WD Styleside SB (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

Great truck. Much more pleased than I thought I would be. Extremely pleased with this purchase.

It ain't broke so,,,,,,,
By hutchG. on 02/02/05 22:11 PM (PST)

2005 Ford Ranger 2dr SuperCab EDGE 4WD Styleside SB (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

Last month I bought my fourth ranger. I've had such good luck with these small trucks, I just keep coming back. I'll have to admit that the smaller engines didn't have much pizazz, but the 4.0 engine meets my every need. If I'm traveling, towing{I don't use it for work}or just going to the super market the ranger is perfect for my needs. If you have a family of four or five I suggest you look elsewhere. since 1988 I can count on my one hand the number of times the trucks have had to be in the dealers shop. So they are a little dated. Unless you want to spend an arm and a leg for a foreign truck{I checked before I bought the ford]I would consider the less glitzy ford. If it ain't broke don't,

Great Truck
By Steven on 02/02/05 19:22 PM (PST)

2005 Ford Ranger 4dr SuperCab XLT 4WD Styleside SB (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

Performance is great. 207 HP engine will get you anywhere in a hurry. Fun to fly through the gears like a sports car. Put oversize BFG 32 inch All Terrains and it will still spin them easily. Great reliability, no problems, even after warranty is up. A little thirsty, but a lot better than a full-sized truck. Plus I'm a little lead footed. Can be uncomfortable on long road trips, but you won't fall asleep at the wheel. :)

My truck
By Tina Ashworth on 01/09/05 16:20 PM (PST)

2005 Ford Ranger 2dr SuperCab XLT Rwd Styleside SB (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I like the reliability and fuel economy. However, I notice that tire traction could be better and the styling is a bit dated.

How is this outdated??
By tim E. on 01/01/05 22:13 PM (PST)

2005 Ford Ranger 2dr SuperCab XLT 4WD Styleside SB (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

I don't understand the words outdated. It is a great truck with all the power and style a truck should have. It rides like a truck. I didn't buy it so that it with expectations of riding like a car. The dashboard is great for reaching all controls and everything is simple and clearly understandable. One of the first vehicles I have had in a while where I didn't need the operator's manual to set the clock. The turning radius is also very good. I do have some issues with the GVW and do wish it would hold a heavier weight load. But for the most part it is a great running truck

some things have been better
By Kelly on 12/23/04 13:13 PM (PST)

2005 Ford Ranger 4dr SuperCab FX4 Level II 4WD Styleside SB (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

Owned a 2002 and now a new 2004 Fx4 II off road package on both trucks. The brakes are an improvement from the 02 in 03 and up you can feel and tell the difference in stopping with the bigger drums and rotors. The new gauge dash cluster is trendy but a step down from before loss of real oil pressure gage and volt gage 02 had. Now just idiot lights, not a good trade off. Mid speed vibration in chassis is still there. Empty passenger seats vibrate. With new leather seating option I lost the lumbar seat adjustments had on the 02. Also they dropped the driver, passenger side map lights from the over-head door light, which is a must for off roading. Good truck, expect better from Ford.

I love my Ranger.
By Brammell on 12/19/04 16:46 PM (PST)

2005 Ford Ranger 4dr SuperCab FX4 Level II 4WD Styleside SB (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

The title says it all. I LOVE MY RANGER.