Used 2005 Ford Ranger Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Ford Ranger - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Ranger model:

Great truck, great value.
By Grimtrek

2005 Ford Ranger 2dr Regular Cab XL Rwd Styleside SB (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

If you need a full-size pick-up to haul big loads, then the Ford Ranger isn't for you. But if you want a fun, fuel efficient little pickup with moderate hauling ability then look no further. My Ranger gets about 24-26 mpg, in mixed highway/city driving. Being in a warm climate, I run the AC quite a bit and of course that reduces mpg. I have automatic transmission on mine and I enjoy driving this truck a lot. I would recommend this truck to a friend if they were looking for a truck that's inexpensive, looks good and is fuel efficient. This is my first Ford vehicle, but I suspect it's not going to be my last, or my last Ranger either.

True crewcab configuration and the option of a small-block V-8 would be nice. They offer a real 4-door in Mexico and South America, why not here at home?

Buy Something else
By ekarlw

2005 Ford Ranger 2dr Regular Cab XL Rwd Styleside SB (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

"Minimal at best". Most irritating is that for 2005/6 Ford removed the rear wheel well splash shields to save a buck and now on wet roads the wheels throw water, road oil, spilled chemicals etc. up through the seam under the lip of the bed rail and into the bed - with a shell on the back everything inside still gets wet. Once again Ford has found it acceptable to lower the overall quality to save about three dollars in plastic. I have to wonder what other corners were cut. I remember when car makers would make improvements every year. Shifting linkage is clunky and the 4 cylinder engine vibrates more than most. Also the bed does not 'fit' the width of the 2 door cab and looks awkward.

The price was right - but you get what you pay for.

Focus on providing an economical quality product and stop 'cheapening' existing ones by de-engineering them to save a buck. My personal improvement will be to buy Japanese again.

Cab Interior bad
By Lworth

2005 Ford Ranger 4dr SuperCab XLT 4WD Styleside SB (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

Cab is a smaller confined area than 2000 Ranger. You cannot see over the seats to observe traffic coming from your right kinda behind you. Rear view is mirrors only; very dangerous with a closed high seat back area.

Looks to me is what sells Ford Rangers and the 4 wheel drive handling, engaged or not, is always the best of any vehicle I have driven.

Go back to the old fashioned always showing mileage indicator; the one now is small and very hard to see and the key must be on.

Reliable, durable, no frills
By iowadoc

2005 Ford Ranger 2dr SuperCab XLT 4WD Styleside SB (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

Bought this at the end of the whole "employee discount" deal. Looked on the internet through the Ford web site (which lets you see the actual sticker on the car) to find the most basic Ranger XLT 4x4. I'm finding I like this truck more and more. I like the simple-almost-austere but very functional design. Fit and finish is very good. First weekend I had it I drove it to Kansas City, 350 miles. My youngest daughter, who gets car sick, complemented the ride. Plenty of room for our gear behind the seats. Handles very well. Now, with about 3K on the engine I'm getting 20 mph in everyday driving, 22 highway. I recommend this vehicle without reservations.

Excellent ground clearance. Easy to use 4WD system (no levers to pull). Stock radio is actually pretty good. Handling is smooth and balanced.

None actually. I'm very pleased with the stock truck. No complaints at all.

I love it
By MartyP

2005 Ford Ranger 4dr SuperCab FX4 Off-Road 4WD Styleside SB (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

Great truck overall. The price was especially attractive with all the rebates and employee pricing. It was a pleasure to not have to bargain. The only thing I don't like about the truck is the placement of the parking brake release and, of course, the poor mileage. I have the biggest engine (4.0L) and get 19 mpg at best. The running boards look good but aren't any practical use. They just get in the way when entering/exiting. But, it pulls my 22' boat with ease. The comfortable quiet ride is really a happy surprise. In sum, it is a good solid relatively inexpensive small truck that does everything it is supposed to and will for years to come.

Price. Comfort. Looks. Little arrow on gas gauge.

Make parking brake release more ergonomic. Higher mpg.