Used 2005 Ford Ranger Consumer Reviews - 68 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Ford Ranger - Consumer Reviews

2005 Ford Ranger

View reviews for a specific Ranger model:

Edge
By Cary

2005 Ford Ranger 2dr Regular Cab EDGE Rwd Styleside SB (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

Nice little truck. The only true compact truck on the market. I am a little disappointed with the acceleration of the 3.0 V6. I took it to the drag strip. 17.80 at 76 mph. The manual shifter is a little stiff, so I replaced it with a Hurst shifter. I am pleased with the gas mileage. it matched the EPA estimate.

White faced gauges, cool Sonic Blue paint.

Better transmission shifter.

Test Drive Them All
By Mediocre

2005 Ford Ranger 4dr SuperCab EDGE Rwd Styleside SB (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I bought my Ford in 2005 when they had the employees discount promotion. When I test drove the truck things were OK. The ride was better when I bought the truck than it is now. Every once in a while there is a creaking noise from the right side when you go over something crooked. The 4.0L engine is enough to do anything I need but the interior misses with quality. The dash plastics on the drivers side don't come together right, and there are varoius rattles, squeaks, and creeks that everyone tells me are "normal operating noises"-yeah right! The 150's ride better but are too much money. Why not put that quality into the Ranger series of trucks Ford? I mean quiet is nice in a truck too.

Engine. Nice power and giddy up! Tranny shifts smooth, sometimes rough. Style. Mags are nice, design is OK.

Overhaul the style of the truck. Seems the interior and exterior hasn't changed that much in 10 years. Better quality on interior items. Quiet up the cab for wind noise and block out exterior noise. Quieter ride would be nice.

mountaingoat
By Preston

2005 Ford Ranger 2dr SuperCab XLT 4WD Styleside SB (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

I purchased this truck as a replacement for one that was totaled in a wreck. It is a daily driver to and from work mainly but in the fall and winter this little truck really shines when we go through the mountains here in VA hunting for deer. If the tires could get traction on a tree I think it would climb it. The 4-wheel drive system has never let me down and I have been in some pretty bad places.

By far the 4-wheel drive system and the steering. The 4.0 liter has plenty of power.

Supply a bedliner and cargo light.

Poor Brakes, poor quality!
By Ken

2005 Ford Ranger 2dr Regular Cab XLT 4WD Styleside SB (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I have owned this Ranger for almost two years. I have faced continuous problems with the braking system. Continued maintenance required that is charged to "clean, adjust, lubricate, inspect" the brakes. Pad on disc brakes continue to hang up. Too many issues with the entire braking system for me to be satisfied with this vehicle. If you live in a climate where there is snow and/or road salt, do not buy as you will have to pay for the brake service at least once a year ($80+). I have had mine done three times because normal driving on highways with snow, road salt, sand causes brakes to hang up. Would recommend looking at foreign made trucks such as Nissan Frontier and Toyota Tacoma instead!

None.

Need better cup holder design. Brakes are absolutely lousy. Needs higher quality brakes, better standard warranty, better crash test ratings & a VAST improvement on fuel economy. Very dull interior that needs to be revamped with digital gauges and more features!

A sporty truck...
By mike surf

2005 Ford Ranger 2dr SuperCab EDGE Rwd Styleside SB (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

Wonderfully comfortable seats, good handling, and I like the "trucky" styling. My 3rd Ranger.

Seats...and armrest is high enough for use. So many vehicles have the armrest too low!

Map lights, PLEASE.