Used 2005 Ford Ranger SuperCab Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Ford Ranger SuperCab - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Ranger model:

2005 Ranger
By Brian

2005 Ford Ranger SuperCab 2dr SuperCab EDGE 4WD Styleside SB (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

I bought the truck used about a year ago. Very nice truck, the ride is a little stiff, but I don't mind that. The seats could be a little more comfortable, but other than that it rides nice. It's only been in the shop once, a friend of mine kicked the inertia switch and broke it, so that's nothing to blame on the truck. Plenty of torque, I've towed a 4000 lbs box trailer with relative ease. Fuel economy is not great, 19 MPG was the best I got, going 60 on mostly highways using cruise control, but it's a truck. Stereo sounds good. I like the overall look of the truck. If you get the sport mirrors, a set of blind-spot mirrors might help; they don't show a wide enough angle to see.

Pioneer stereo, white guages, plenty of power, grille, Ford bedliner.

Better fuel economy, Possibly a small V8 (Ford put one in the Explorer but not the Ranger), softer seats, stronger rear suspension

Great Truck
By Rick

2005 Ford Ranger SuperCab 2dr SuperCab EDGE Rwd Styleside SB (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

It's a truck & rides like one. I can live with that. Terrible gas mileage. Average 19 mpg under the best circumstances. Wish it was better. Considering trading it in for a VW or something that gets some mileage.

Body style

Better gas mileage.

Nice truck for couples
By JJJohnson

2005 Ford Ranger SuperCab 4dr SuperCab EDGE Rwd Styleside SB (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I traded my F150 in for the Ranger hoping to get above 20 MPG in which I barely get 19 with the 3.0. Other that than this is a nice small truck which handles well. It pulls my 14' tandem trailer with ease.

Rides as high as a full size truck for driving in pastures.

Better gas mileage. A sixth gear for the highway would accomplish that.

Stay away!
By Aaron

2005 Ford Ranger SuperCab 2dr SuperCab XLT 4WD Styleside SB (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

My 2005 Ford Ranger was as close to being a lemon as a vehicle could get! Between the choppy, whining ride, to the rediculous plastic interior, this was definately a vehicle I regret buying. I had to take the vehicle in for service twice in the first 2 months. Once for it switching to 4WD Low on its own (and I couldn't get it out of 4WD!), the second when the inertia switch failed while I was driving at 70 on the freeway. All systems shut down: ABS, powersteering, transmission, everything! I nearly wrecked on that one. STAY AWAY FROM THE FORD RANGER!

The front end it cool looking.

Discontinue this death trap!

Test Drive Them All
By Mediocre

2005 Ford Ranger SuperCab 4dr SuperCab EDGE Rwd Styleside SB (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I bought my Ford in 2005 when they had the employees discount promotion. When I test drove the truck things were OK. The ride was better when I bought the truck than it is now. Every once in a while there is a creaking noise from the right side when you go over something crooked. The 4.0L engine is enough to do anything I need but the interior misses with quality. The dash plastics on the drivers side don't come together right, and there are varoius rattles, squeaks, and creeks that everyone tells me are "normal operating noises"-yeah right! The 150's ride better but are too much money. Why not put that quality into the Ranger series of trucks Ford? I mean quiet is nice in a truck too.

Engine. Nice power and giddy up! Tranny shifts smooth, sometimes rough. Style. Mags are nice, design is OK.

Overhaul the style of the truck. Seems the interior and exterior hasn't changed that much in 10 years. Better quality on interior items. Quiet up the cab for wind noise and block out exterior noise. Quieter ride would be nice.