2005 Ford Ranger Regular Cab - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Ranger model:
Great truck, great value.
By Grimtrek on 01/25/06 19:08 PM (PST)

2005 Ford Ranger Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab XL Rwd Styleside SB (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

If you need a full-size pick-up to haul big loads, then the Ford Ranger isn't for you. But if you want a fun, fuel efficient little pickup with moderate hauling ability then look no further. My Ranger gets about 24-26 mpg, in mixed highway/city driving. Being in a warm climate, I run the AC quite a bit and of course that reduces mpg. I have automatic transmission on mine and I enjoy driving this truck a lot. I would recommend this truck to a friend if they were looking for a truck that's inexpensive, looks good and is fuel efficient. This is my first Ford vehicle, but I suspect it's not going to be my last, or my last Ranger either.

Buy Something else
By ekarlw on 01/19/06 00:34 AM (PST)

2005 Ford Ranger Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab XL Rwd Styleside SB (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

"Minimal at best". Most irritating is that for 2005/6 Ford removed the rear wheel well splash shields to save a buck and now on wet roads the wheels throw water, road oil, spilled chemicals etc. up through the seam under the lip of the bed rail and into the bed - with a shell on the back everything inside still gets wet. Once again Ford has found it acceptable to lower the overall quality to save about three dollars in plastic. I have to wonder what other corners were cut. I remember when car makers would make improvements every year. Shifting linkage is clunky and the 4 cylinder engine vibrates more than most. Also the bed does not 'fit' the width of the 2 door cab and looks awkward.

Good Ole' Truck---FOR A FORD
By JARHEAD on 09/17/05 21:25 PM (PDT)

2005 Ford Ranger Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab XL 4WD Styleside SB (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

Good overall for recreation use, farm use, work use, but not for trying to raise a family. It is a compact truck, but sometimes I feel 2 people in the front is too much. Overall it is a good truck, strong power on the low end, but lacks oomph above 65. Suspension is a bit stiff, almost like driving a solid front axle. I would recommend this truck. Wanning, for a compact truck the gas economy stinks! 16/20.

Almost as much fun as my Stang was!
By X-StangOwnr on 08/08/05 18:28 PM (PDT)

2005 Ford Ranger Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab EDGE Rwd Styleside SB (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I just took delivery of this truck on 8/6/05. So far I am very pleased with its capabilities and appearance. I traded the 2000 Mustang due to rising fuel costs. But having a brand-spankin' new Ford Truck with good mpg is worth it! I really like the ride height and the 16" wheels wrapped in BFG's. Makes my 4x2 look like a 4x4. I also got the Dark Shadow Gray Metallic paint...BEAUTIFUL! As for value, I bought it under Ford's Family Plan. The sticker was $18,788. I paid $12,620! If you're gonna buy a Ford ... DO IT NOW! AWESOME DEALS!

Ford Tough At A Reasonable Price.
By Steve on 06/18/05 12:34 PM (PDT)

2005 Ford Ranger Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab XL Rwd Styleside SB (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

The 2005 Ranger XL 2WD Reg Cab with the 2.3L EFI 4 cylinder engine is a fun and reasonably priced package. While I'd like a little better acceleration, I find what it delivers adequate. I have the 5-speed automatic O/D transmission and it's very smooth. The A/C works very well (important in Florida) and cools the cab quickly even on hot days. The dash and instrument panels are laid out well and all the controls are easy to reach.

My last Ford Purchase
By JRT1 on 04/06/05 22:21 PM (PDT)

2005 Ford Ranger Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab XLT Rwd Styleside SB (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I have had the clutch replaced because of a loud squeaking sound. Took 9 trips to dealerships to get fixed. Vehicle does have problems when trying to start. Have to continuously grind it to get started. Will never buy another Ford. Ford Motor Company refuses to do anything with the problem I have with a fender that is dulled off and has lost its metallic finish. Also, they say there is nothing they can do regarding the paint overspray on the left front fender. So much for help from the home office!

ranger danger(for competition, that is!)
By zitro on 11/09/04 15:59 PM (PST)

2005 Ford Ranger Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab XLT 4WD Styleside LB (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

i previously owned a chevrolet S-10. i couldnt be more dissapointed. it had to be the worst vehicle i ever owned. i went to ford and bought a ranger. i couldnt beleive the difference. everything about this car is great and much better than the S-10. engine refinement, power, handling, ride, and the overall vehicle beats chevy in every way. i would list it all, but its too much. its just that good.

Terrible Ride
By Andrew Sievert on 09/19/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2005 Ford Ranger Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab XLT Rwd Styleside LB (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

This Truck is good in many ways, however it has the most irritating vibration in the seat(rear end problem) between 20-50 mph the rear just shakes and vibrates. I tried to have the dealer fix it but they could not and then on my 4th visit they had a Ford engineer inspect it The conclusion was that this is how the truck is supposed to perform and there is no fix available. I just got it july 29,2004 and will be syuck with it for a long time to come. I would recommend you look elswhere if comfort and a smooth ride are important.

Fun to drive
By greenbay on 09/13/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2005 Ford Ranger Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab XLT 4WD Styleside SB (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

This truck is fun to drive. This is a compact truck with a full size feel. The 4.0L V-6 engine has plenty power. I have no power loss when pulling a 17 foot Searay. I love my truck. The dealer was easy to deal with and with the rebates that was offered I feel this is the best bargain out there.