Used 2005 Ford Ranger Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Ford Ranger - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Ranger model:

I agree with Consumer Reports
By Bill Hunter

2005 Ford Ranger 2dr SuperCab EDGE 4WD Styleside SB (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

I keep looking at other vehicles simply because I usually trade every 4-5 years. I can not justify trading my Ford Ranger Edge. I'm a big man and it's very comfortable to drive. I knew I wasn't going to get the mpg of a Focus, so I'm not disappointed in the 19-20 mpg that I get. I have an ARE flat top on it and I purchased an extended warranty, which I'm sure I'll do agian at a 100,000 miles. I bought the Edge after my wife traded in her Mazda B-4000 LE. I know that was my Edges twin and with over 140,000 miles at trade-in, I felt confident in my choice and I have not be sorry. It has been and continues to be a great little truck!

Comfort on long trips Stylish Appearance Fun to Drive

Overhead display with compass, mpg and temp.

Install a fiberglass shell/ topper
By Kelly

2005 Ford Ranger 2dr Regular Cab XL Rwd Styleside SB (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

Bought this vehicle. Saw the handwriting on the wall that gasoline was going through the roof. Mileage is 24/29 exactly as spec. Clutch pedal stiff and squeaks, no resolution, aftermarket dealer installed A/C problems resolved. window cranks squeak big time, no resolution, Rear leaf spring out of alignment, resolved. The 4 banger lacks a little here in NM, with hills and all but it's fine. Installed an Astro bed topper and the handling was much improved, and it looks great and matched the white almost perfectly. After the various bugs, a good set of Continental SUV tires, the thing is doing exactly as expected. You get what you pay for!

Starts every time, and gets you back.

Overall quality to match the F150

Not bad for a cheap little truck
By Mike

2005 Ford Ranger 2dr Regular Cab XL Fleet 4WD Styleside LB (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

Bought this truck on a lease for $225/month and haven't had a lick of trouble with it. It's no luxury auto, pretty boxy and not a lot of acceleration, but it serves a purpose.

Very reliable, hasn't been in the shop once in almost 4 years.

Pay extra for the extended cab. This model has absolutely no extra space. The back of your head rests against the rear window. I thought a 4-cylindar would get better gas mileage. I get about 24 mpg.

Have you driven a Ford lately?
By Ford Tough?

2005 Ford Ranger 4dr SuperCab FX4 Off-Road 4WD Styleside SB (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

I was skeptical to buy a Ford at first, but the salesman convinced me that Fords are built as well if not better than ever.and for the first "3 years or 36000 miles" we loved our truck. Got lots of compliments and it was fun to drive, other than the squeeky brakes. Then mile 36001 came along. Alternator, wheel hub. I do not abuse my truck. It is kept clean and has only been off road 2 or 3 times. I didn't think alternators went bad anymore. Not only do they go bad but they cost a bunch! I thought ok...$100?...nope $500!..Wheel hub...ok....$100....nope $300. Cant wait to see what's next...I am afraid to drive my Ford lately! Hate to see a U.S. company struggle...but "Quality is job 1"

Fun to drive. Looks great. 4x4 is capable.

Use better materials for interior. Do something about the squeeky brakes! And if you're going to sell "Ford tough" make the darn thing tough!

2005 Ranger
By Brian

2005 Ford Ranger 2dr SuperCab EDGE 4WD Styleside SB (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

I bought the truck used about a year ago. Very nice truck, the ride is a little stiff, but I don't mind that. The seats could be a little more comfortable, but other than that it rides nice. It's only been in the shop once, a friend of mine kicked the inertia switch and broke it, so that's nothing to blame on the truck. Plenty of torque, I've towed a 4000 lbs box trailer with relative ease. Fuel economy is not great, 19 MPG was the best I got, going 60 on mostly highways using cruise control, but it's a truck. Stereo sounds good. I like the overall look of the truck. If you get the sport mirrors, a set of blind-spot mirrors might help; they don't show a wide enough angle to see.

Pioneer stereo, white guages, plenty of power, grille, Ford bedliner.

Better fuel economy, Possibly a small V8 (Ford put one in the Explorer but not the Ranger), softer seats, stronger rear suspension