Used 2005 Ford Ranger Consumer Reviews - 70 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Ford Ranger - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Ranger model:

Great little truck.
By James Patterson

2005 Ford Ranger 2dr SuperCab XLT Rwd Styleside SB (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

My dad bought the truck to be my future vehicle. Great for around town driving and trips to/from Lowes, not great for heavy hauling and towing. A/C and heater work GREAT because of the small size of the cab. sank this one into a hole while delivering hay and pulled it right out, no damage. the Vulcan V6 leaves some to be desired but it can hold its own. no maintenance besides normal checkups needed. runs like a Swiss watch, never had any strange sounds. the engine does vapor release with a click quite a bit more often then other cars but no problem. The truck gets good mileage but the tank is small. expect to fill up a bit more often. I like to think of it as a car with a large trunk.

nice cloth seats great A/C, Heater capability plenty of get-up-and-go for around town driving. with the rear seats folded up you have lots of space inside for your gear. engine compartment isn't very crowded, easy to get to things. came without those newfangled power windows or locks.

maybe a bit more zip in the engine but not much else.

MY 2005 ford ranger edge 3.0l LEMON
By MY LEMON

2005 Ford Ranger 2dr SuperCab EDGE Rwd Styleside SB (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I bought it thinking it was great from all the great reviews it had well after new sensors, computer, fuel injectors ,fuel pump,exhaust heaters,O2 sensors ,Brakes,calipers,rotors,The only thing i haven't had to replace is the radio it still sounds as good as when i purchased this LEMON, will never purchase a ford again!

The radio,but try to get your cd out it wont let go

I agree with Consumer Reports
By Bill Hunter

2005 Ford Ranger 2dr SuperCab EDGE 4WD Styleside SB (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

I keep looking at other vehicles simply because I usually trade every 4-5 years. I can not justify trading my Ford Ranger Edge. I'm a big man and it's very comfortable to drive. I knew I wasn't going to get the mpg of a Focus, so I'm not disappointed in the 19-20 mpg that I get. I have an ARE flat top on it and I purchased an extended warranty, which I'm sure I'll do agian at a 100,000 miles. I bought the Edge after my wife traded in her Mazda B-4000 LE. I know that was my Edges twin and with over 140,000 miles at trade-in, I felt confident in my choice and I have not be sorry. It has been and continues to be a great little truck!

Comfort on long trips Stylish Appearance Fun to Drive

Overhead display with compass, mpg and temp.

Install a fiberglass shell/ topper
By Kelly

2005 Ford Ranger 2dr Regular Cab XL Rwd Styleside SB (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

Bought this vehicle. Saw the handwriting on the wall that gasoline was going through the roof. Mileage is 24/29 exactly as spec. Clutch pedal stiff and squeaks, no resolution, aftermarket dealer installed A/C problems resolved. window cranks squeak big time, no resolution, Rear leaf spring out of alignment, resolved. The 4 banger lacks a little here in NM, with hills and all but it's fine. Installed an Astro bed topper and the handling was much improved, and it looks great and matched the white almost perfectly. After the various bugs, a good set of Continental SUV tires, the thing is doing exactly as expected. You get what you pay for!

Starts every time, and gets you back.

Overall quality to match the F150

Not bad for a cheap little truck
By Mike

2005 Ford Ranger 2dr Regular Cab XL Fleet 4WD Styleside LB (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

Bought this truck on a lease for $225/month and haven't had a lick of trouble with it. It's no luxury auto, pretty boxy and not a lot of acceleration, but it serves a purpose.

Very reliable, hasn't been in the shop once in almost 4 years.

Pay extra for the extended cab. This model has absolutely no extra space. The back of your head rests against the rear window. I thought a 4-cylindar would get better gas mileage. I get about 24 mpg.