Used 2005 Ford Ranger FX4 Off-Road SuperCab Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Ford Ranger - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Ranger model:

Most Helpful|
Car Person's Review.
By Michael

2005 Ford Ranger SuperCab 4dr SuperCab FX4 Off-Road 4WD Styleside SB (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

The ranger is a nice truck for certain people. I like the truck but really did not fall in love with it like I thought. I should have stuck with a car or looked around more. The truck has a lot of interior room and a lot of power, great sound system, great high seating compared to other trucks I seen on the road. If you want to stick out though I would not get this.

Favorite Features

Off road package is great. Great high seating and the standard features are good.

Suggested Improvements

Better interior design, nicer outter appearance.

I love it
By MartyP

Great truck overall. The price was especially attractive with all the rebates and employee pricing. It was a pleasure to not have to bargain. The only thing I don't like about the truck is the placement of the parking brake release and, of course, the poor mileage. I have the biggest engine (4.0L) and get 19 mpg at best. The running boards look good but aren't any practical use. They just get in the way when entering/exiting. But, it pulls my 22' boat with ease. The comfortable quiet ride is really a happy surprise. In sum, it is a good solid relatively inexpensive small truck that does everything it is supposed to and will for years to come.

Favorite Features

Price. Comfort. Looks. Little arrow on gas gauge.

Suggested Improvements

Make parking brake release more ergonomic. Higher mpg.

Have you driven a Ford lately?
By Ford Tough?

I was skeptical to buy a Ford at first, but the salesman convinced me that Fords are built as well if not better than ever.and for the first "3 years or 36000 miles" we loved our truck. Got lots of compliments and it was fun to drive, other than the squeeky brakes. Then mile 36001 came along. Alternator, wheel hub. I do not abuse my truck. It is kept clean and has only been off road 2 or 3 times. I didn't think alternators went bad anymore. Not only do they go bad but they cost a bunch! I thought ok...$100?...nope $500!..Wheel hub...ok....$100....nope $300. Cant wait to see what's next...I am afraid to drive my Ford lately! Hate to see a U.S. company struggle...but "Quality is job 1"

Favorite Features

Fun to drive. Looks great. 4x4 is capable.

Suggested Improvements

Use better materials for interior. Do something about the squeeky brakes! And if you're going to sell "Ford tough" make the darn thing tough!