Used 2005 Ford Ranger SuperCab Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Ford Ranger SuperCab - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Ranger model:

Needs more power
By edgeowner

2005 Ford Ranger SuperCab 4dr SuperCab EDGE Rwd Styleside SB (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

Purchased this vehicle as a way to get around logging roads for camping and fishing and to haul kayaks. Interior is appealing -- very clean and low maintenance. Exterior is very appealing. Paint lacks quality (black). My model EDGE is a 2x4 with 4x4 torsion bar suspension. This makes for some very difficult situations off-road. I have been stuck in situations where a 1 ton Buick could have got its way out -- but not this thing. Drives very nice on twisty mountain highways. The only major concern I have is the amount of engine vibration in the 3.0 L it is very very unstable past 2k and doesn't feel/sound healthy after 3.5k. Fuel mileage is okay if your driving like you are retired.

Interior. Mag rims. Bright headlights. Decent Handling

Drive linkage is poor. Wheel bearings and ball joints don't stand up to continued light off-road use. Engine mileage is terrible for 3.0 L. Engine noise is terrible. Engine power is terrible.

Great little truck.
By James Patterson

2005 Ford Ranger SuperCab 2dr SuperCab XLT Rwd Styleside SB (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

My dad bought the truck to be my future vehicle. Great for around town driving and trips to/from Lowes, not great for heavy hauling and towing. A/C and heater work GREAT because of the small size of the cab. sank this one into a hole while delivering hay and pulled it right out, no damage. the Vulcan V6 leaves some to be desired but it can hold its own. no maintenance besides normal checkups needed. runs like a Swiss watch, never had any strange sounds. the engine does vapor release with a click quite a bit more often then other cars but no problem. The truck gets good mileage but the tank is small. expect to fill up a bit more often. I like to think of it as a car with a large trunk.

nice cloth seats great A/C, Heater capability plenty of get-up-and-go for around town driving. with the rear seats folded up you have lots of space inside for your gear. engine compartment isn't very crowded, easy to get to things. came without those newfangled power windows or locks.

maybe a bit more zip in the engine but not much else.

MY 2005 ford ranger edge 3.0l LEMON
By MY LEMON

2005 Ford Ranger SuperCab 2dr SuperCab EDGE Rwd Styleside SB (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I bought it thinking it was great from all the great reviews it had well after new sensors, computer, fuel injectors ,fuel pump,exhaust heaters,O2 sensors ,Brakes,calipers,rotors,The only thing i haven't had to replace is the radio it still sounds as good as when i purchased this LEMON, will never purchase a ford again!

The radio,but try to get your cd out it wont let go

I agree with Consumer Reports
By Bill Hunter

2005 Ford Ranger SuperCab 2dr SuperCab EDGE 4WD Styleside SB (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

I keep looking at other vehicles simply because I usually trade every 4-5 years. I can not justify trading my Ford Ranger Edge. I'm a big man and it's very comfortable to drive. I knew I wasn't going to get the mpg of a Focus, so I'm not disappointed in the 19-20 mpg that I get. I have an ARE flat top on it and I purchased an extended warranty, which I'm sure I'll do agian at a 100,000 miles. I bought the Edge after my wife traded in her Mazda B-4000 LE. I know that was my Edges twin and with over 140,000 miles at trade-in, I felt confident in my choice and I have not be sorry. It has been and continues to be a great little truck!

Comfort on long trips Stylish Appearance Fun to Drive

Overhead display with compass, mpg and temp.

Have you driven a Ford lately?
By Ford Tough?

2005 Ford Ranger SuperCab 4dr SuperCab FX4 Off-Road 4WD Styleside SB (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

I was skeptical to buy a Ford at first, but the salesman convinced me that Fords are built as well if not better than ever.and for the first "3 years or 36000 miles" we loved our truck. Got lots of compliments and it was fun to drive, other than the squeeky brakes. Then mile 36001 came along. Alternator, wheel hub. I do not abuse my truck. It is kept clean and has only been off road 2 or 3 times. I didn't think alternators went bad anymore. Not only do they go bad but they cost a bunch! I thought ok...$100?...nope $500!..Wheel hub...ok....$100....nope $300. Cant wait to see what's next...I am afraid to drive my Ford lately! Hate to see a U.S. company struggle...but "Quality is job 1"

Fun to drive. Looks great. 4x4 is capable.

Use better materials for interior. Do something about the squeeky brakes! And if you're going to sell "Ford tough" make the darn thing tough!