2005 Ford Ranger SuperCab - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Ranger model:
Needs more power
By edgeowner on 09/01/10 13:18 PM (PDT)

2005 Ford Ranger SuperCab 4dr SuperCab EDGE Rwd Styleside SB (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

Purchased this vehicle as a way to get around logging roads for camping and fishing and to haul kayaks. Interior is appealing -- very clean and low maintenance. Exterior is very appealing. Paint lacks quality (black). My model EDGE is a 2x4 with 4x4 torsion bar suspension. This makes for some very difficult situations off-road. I have been stuck in situations where a 1 ton Buick could have got its way out -- but not this thing. Drives very nice on twisty mountain highways. The only major concern I have is the amount of engine vibration in the 3.0 L it is very very unstable past 2k and doesn't feel/sound healthy after 3.5k. Fuel mileage is okay if your driving like you are retired.

Great little truck.
By James Patterson on 07/01/10 22:34 PM (PDT)

2005 Ford Ranger SuperCab 2dr SuperCab XLT Rwd Styleside SB (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

My dad bought the truck to be my future vehicle. Great for around town driving and trips to/from Lowes, not great for heavy hauling and towing. A/C and heater work GREAT because of the small size of the cab. sank this one into a hole while delivering hay and pulled it right out, no damage. the Vulcan V6 leaves some to be desired but it can hold its own. no maintenance besides normal checkups needed. runs like a Swiss watch, never had any strange sounds. the engine does vapor release with a click quite a bit more often then other cars but no problem. The truck gets good mileage but the tank is small. expect to fill up a bit more often. I like to think of it as a car with a large trunk.

MY 2005 ford ranger edge 3.0l LEMON
By MY LEMON on 11/11/09 08:34 AM (PST)

2005 Ford Ranger SuperCab 2dr SuperCab EDGE Rwd Styleside SB (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I bought it thinking it was great from all the great reviews it had well after new sensors, computer, fuel injectors ,fuel pump,exhaust heaters,O2 sensors ,Brakes,calipers,rotors,The only thing i haven't had to replace is the radio it still sounds as good as when i purchased this LEMON, will never purchase a ford again!

I agree with Consumer Reports
By Bill Hunter on 10/02/09 19:17 PM (PDT)

2005 Ford Ranger SuperCab 2dr SuperCab EDGE 4WD Styleside SB (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

I keep looking at other vehicles simply because I usually trade every 4-5 years. I can not justify trading my Ford Ranger Edge. I'm a big man and it's very comfortable to drive. I knew I wasn't going to get the mpg of a Focus, so I'm not disappointed in the 19-20 mpg that I get. I have an ARE flat top on it and I purchased an extended warranty, which I'm sure I'll do agian at a 100,000 miles. I bought the Edge after my wife traded in her Mazda B-4000 LE. I know that was my Edges twin and with over 140,000 miles at trade-in, I felt confident in my choice and I have not be sorry. It has been and continues to be a great little truck!

Have you driven a Ford lately?
By Ford Tough? on 02/11/09 08:34 AM (PST)

2005 Ford Ranger SuperCab 4dr SuperCab FX4 Off-Road 4WD Styleside SB (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

I was skeptical to buy a Ford at first, but the salesman convinced me that Fords are built as well if not better than ever.and for the first "3 years or 36000 miles" we loved our truck. Got lots of compliments and it was fun to drive, other than the squeeky brakes. Then mile 36001 came along. Alternator, wheel hub. I do not abuse my truck. It is kept clean and has only been off road 2 or 3 times. I didn't think alternators went bad anymore. Not only do they go bad but they cost a bunch! I thought ok...$100?...nope $500!..Wheel hub...ok....$100....nope $300. Cant wait to see what's next...I am afraid to drive my Ford lately! Hate to see a U.S. company struggle...but "Quality is job 1"

2005 Ranger
By Brian on 09/27/08 12:03 PM (PDT)

2005 Ford Ranger SuperCab 2dr SuperCab EDGE 4WD Styleside SB (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

I bought the truck used about a year ago. Very nice truck, the ride is a little stiff, but I don't mind that. The seats could be a little more comfortable, but other than that it rides nice. It's only been in the shop once, a friend of mine kicked the inertia switch and broke it, so that's nothing to blame on the truck. Plenty of torque, I've towed a 4000 lbs box trailer with relative ease. Fuel economy is not great, 19 MPG was the best I got, going 60 on mostly highways using cruise control, but it's a truck. Stereo sounds good. I like the overall look of the truck. If you get the sport mirrors, a set of blind-spot mirrors might help; they don't show a wide enough angle to see.

Great Truck
By Rick on 04/26/08 04:50 AM (PDT)

2005 Ford Ranger SuperCab 2dr SuperCab EDGE Rwd Styleside SB (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

It's a truck & rides like one. I can live with that. Terrible gas mileage. Average 19 mpg under the best circumstances. Wish it was better. Considering trading it in for a VW or something that gets some mileage.

Nice truck for couples
By JJJohnson on 04/22/08 07:27 AM (PDT)

2005 Ford Ranger SuperCab 4dr SuperCab EDGE Rwd Styleside SB (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I traded my F150 in for the Ranger hoping to get above 20 MPG in which I barely get 19 with the 3.0. Other that than this is a nice small truck which handles well. It pulls my 14' tandem trailer with ease.

Stay away!
By Aaron on 10/06/07 18:53 PM (PDT)

2005 Ford Ranger SuperCab 2dr SuperCab XLT 4WD Styleside SB (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

My 2005 Ford Ranger was as close to being a lemon as a vehicle could get! Between the choppy, whining ride, to the rediculous plastic interior, this was definately a vehicle I regret buying. I had to take the vehicle in for service twice in the first 2 months. Once for it switching to 4WD Low on its own (and I couldn't get it out of 4WD!), the second when the inertia switch failed while I was driving at 70 on the freeway. All systems shut down: ABS, powersteering, transmission, everything! I nearly wrecked on that one. STAY AWAY FROM THE FORD RANGER!

Test Drive Them All
By Mediocre on 07/07/07 18:46 PM (PDT)

2005 Ford Ranger SuperCab 4dr SuperCab EDGE Rwd Styleside SB (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I bought my Ford in 2005 when they had the employees discount promotion. When I test drove the truck things were OK. The ride was better when I bought the truck than it is now. Every once in a while there is a creaking noise from the right side when you go over something crooked. The 4.0L engine is enough to do anything I need but the interior misses with quality. The dash plastics on the drivers side don't come together right, and there are varoius rattles, squeaks, and creeks that everyone tells me are "normal operating noises"-yeah right! The 150's ride better but are too much money. Why not put that quality into the Ranger series of trucks Ford? I mean quiet is nice in a truck too.

1 2 3 4 5 next »