Used 2005 Ford Ranger Regular Cab Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Ford Ranger Regular Cab - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Ranger model:

I love it
By 123abc4

2005 Ford Ranger Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab EDGE Rwd Styleside SB (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

This was my 1st car. Has Never let me down have had it for a year now. I bought it from a salvage yard not salvage just needed a bumper fend and hood. I take it off roading every once in a while does just fine. haul my 4 wheeler with all the time. its a lil light in the back so it tends to slip and slide a lot. only thing i dont like about it is that i had to re seal the rear window because it leaked really bad. other than that just oil changes and on my 2nd set of tires.

fog lights

A lil more room between the seats and rear window.

Long Term Review (8 Yrs)
By jfleenor

2005 Ford Ranger Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab XL Rwd Styleside SB (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I have had the Ranger for 8 years, and it has NEVER been in the shop. 1 set of brakes and 1 set of tires. Regular maintenance. Driven from CA to TN 4 times. CA to AZ countless times, towing 2 waverunners. Last week, the heater controll valve broke, but that's the only problem ever. Interior/exterior still looks new, except for someone backing into it 2 weeks ago. New complete rear bumper/Taillights ($260). In body shop next week (minor damage). Still gets 26 mpg on the hwy. Not a luxury car, but it's one of the best vehicles I've owned. Thought about selling it, but love it too much. Going to add custom upgrades and drive it for another 8 yrs. See the rest of post for more info.

Planned additions: Crown Suspension Kit w/gas shocks, 17" Mustang GT wheels w/225x50x17 tires, Cold air intake, front/rear Roush Racing sway bars, TransGO AT shift kit (smoother/positive shifts), cat back exhaust, after market cruise control (did not come equipped from factory), new bed liner.

Install a fiberglass shell/ topper
By Kelly

2005 Ford Ranger Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab XL Rwd Styleside SB (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

Bought this vehicle. Saw the handwriting on the wall that gasoline was going through the roof. Mileage is 24/29 exactly as spec. Clutch pedal stiff and squeaks, no resolution, aftermarket dealer installed A/C problems resolved. window cranks squeak big time, no resolution, Rear leaf spring out of alignment, resolved. The 4 banger lacks a little here in NM, with hills and all but it's fine. Installed an Astro bed topper and the handling was much improved, and it looks great and matched the white almost perfectly. After the various bugs, a good set of Continental SUV tires, the thing is doing exactly as expected. You get what you pay for!

Starts every time, and gets you back.

Overall quality to match the F150

Not bad for a cheap little truck
By Mike

2005 Ford Ranger Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab XL Fleet 4WD Styleside LB (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

Bought this truck on a lease for $225/month and haven't had a lick of trouble with it. It's no luxury auto, pretty boxy and not a lot of acceleration, but it serves a purpose.

Very reliable, hasn't been in the shop once in almost 4 years.

Pay extra for the extended cab. This model has absolutely no extra space. The back of your head rests against the rear window. I thought a 4-cylindar would get better gas mileage. I get about 24 mpg.

Update after 3 years. Even better.
By JDP

2005 Ford Ranger Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab XL Rwd Styleside SB (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I wanted to give an update after owing the Ranger for 3 years. I am even more impressed with this little truck than earlier. Mileage is still great for a truck (4cyl,5spd) I still have the original tires. No squeaks or rattles, and it is a truck. Moved from Austin to DFW with a full load and a trailer load behind. Probably 2000lbs total. I thought it would be a slow 4th gear go. Not a bit of it. Got out on I35, shifted up to 5th gear and away we went. I love this truck. I have met several owners that have owned more than one and now I know why.

This is the little truck that can do it all and get good mileage doing it.

I can't think of any.